For Byron

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
John the Shorts

For Byron

Post by John the Shorts »

Byron

I saw this in todays Daily Torygraph and thought that you may appreciate it

Spike Milligan silly walk forces Woy Woy to take a step back
By Nick Squires in Sydney
(Filed: 25/09/2003)

A plan by the inhabitants of Spike Milligan's Australian home town to walk backwards in his honour has been quashed by the local council on safety grounds, the organisers said.

The former Goon lived in Woy Woy, 45 miles north of Sydney, in the 1950s after his family emigrated from England, and it is to hold its first "Spikefest" next month.

As part of the 10-day festival a parade was planned in which residents would walk backwards in tribute to one of Milligan's nonsensical songs, I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas, recorded in 1956 with Peter Sellers and Harry Secombe.

But in a turn of events that would no doubt have appealed to Milligan's sense of the absurd, festival officials have been told to change their plans by the local authorities, who fear that any injuries could land them with a hefty claim for compensation.

Milligan's younger brother Desmond, who lives in Woy Woy, said: "It's because of insurance problems. They feel that if everybody did walk backwards, they'd be liable to trip up."

However, the organisers have come up with a compromise - festival-goers will walk normally but wear their clothes back to front, with face masks on the back of their heads.

Mr Milligan said: "It will appear as though they are walking backwards. It will look ridiculous but I think they will all enjoy themselves."

Spike Milligan, who died last year of liver failure at the age of 83, mercilessly lampooned Woy Woy as a somnolent retreat for retirees.

Until recently the town was unsure how to view its most famous son, but, in the hope of boosting tourism, locals have gone out of their way lately to identify with the former Goon, establishing a room in the library dedicated to his comedy and even planning a memorial.

JTS (I tried walking forward and sideways but found that it wasn't for me)
Paula

Post by Paula »

I wish I could see this JTS they will be doing Spike proud. Walking forward with their clothes on backwards. And they sectioned Frank Bruno :lol: (No disrespect to Frank - I wish him well soon)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What a name ~ Woy Woy! As I've heard you talk about Spike, I had no idea that he was this old. Wish I could see the crowd on that day.
John the Shorts

Lizzy

I'm afraid Spike is no longer walking backwards amongst us. He died last year and was a great loss to comedy.

The real shame of Spike's life was that the country he fought for decided that he wasn't a citizen, simply because he was born in (I think) India while his father was serving in the Royal Artillery there.

JTS :cry: :cry: :cry:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, John. I knew that he had died. What I meant was that I didn't realize that he was this old when he did! The discussion here about him took place at the time of his death, with people expressing their regrets, and then talking about him anecdotally. As I recall, Jo saw him perform in South Africa, and picked up on his incredible sadness beneath all the humour. His name had only rung a bell with me, but I had no idea of how, where, or why. Even after all the discussion, I still had no idea of any of that. However, I did perceive him [perhaps because they were describing his vibrancy in humour, in what seemed a more present tense] as quite a bit younger when he died. Do you mean that he fought [as in the military] for the country which later stripped him of his "erroneous" citizenship? Or, do you mean fought for as in verbally defended?

Thanks for clarifying on his death, just in case I hadn't been aware of it.

~ Lizzytysh
John the Shorts

Lizzy

Spike fought in WW2 as part of the Royal Artillery, taking part in the North African campaign and in the invasion of Italy. During the latter he developed a case of something similar to "Shell Shock" which had a deep and lasting effect on his life.

JTS
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

John ~

Thanks! You have painted a wholly different picture of this man than I had in my mind. No idea of all that. A lot of layers. What a shame with their not embracing his citizenship. He gave so much of himself.

~ Lizzy
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

With many thanks to Sandra who has just directed me to this thread, which was addressed to me by my illustrious friend and bare kneed bard.
Spike would be having a field day over this bit of bore-okratic krapp.
If the people of Woyx2 want to walk backwards, then who the hell thinks they have the right to stop them? We all know that someone may recieve an injury, but they are adults for G-d's sake!! I wouldn't let a toddler walk backwards without supervision, because it is still learning to negotiate its way around. But adults are fully aware of their actions and well able to take full resposibility for their actions!!!!
There is another thread in the forum where 'wankers' are being discussed. I think the British form of 'put down' 'wanker' is more applicable to the bore-ocrats than the more subtle Oz form, in this particular case.
Spike would be laughing his head off, or devising ways to haunt the 'busybodies' for a decade or two.
Thanks to JTS for bringing this to us, and thanks to Sandra for waking me up.
Byron 'regards his sends.' :?
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Makera

Post by Makera »

Bravo Albert!

The British version of 'wanker' is definitely more appropriate in this case, indeed.( I didn't even know he'd left us already :cry:) What a comic genius!
Didn't you love his little cameo in "Life of Brian"?

To those who think 'Woy Woy' is funny, how about Wagga Wagga! (That's pronounced 'Wogga Wogga'). "Funny" town names in Oz are mostly Aboriginal words/tribes.

Love,

Makera
Last edited by Makera on Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makera

Place names in Oz

Post by Makera »

Footnote:
Some may care to 'no' that many Aboriginal words (in fact the language/dialects) are very soft-sounding and beautiful. The suburb of Sydney I lived in as a child was called 'Jannali' which means 'Place of the Moon'. Other towns I lived in NSW were: Gunnedah, Coonabarabran, Narrabri, and Lake Cargellico. These were the names of the local Aboriginal tribes the towns were called after. There's a long list of such town names; like Woolongong and Woolamooloo.

~Makera

PS** Have I 'dis-remembered' or isn't the title of Spike's ditty really: "I'm Walking Backwards 'To' Christmas", not "For"?! Trust the bloody papers to screw it up, if that's the case... :?
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

You are correct 'to' point it out.
As for a link to synchronicity from this thread, I am slowly (lots of family int-er/up*^tions) reading 'English Passengers' by Matthew Kneale. It won him the 2000 Whitbread Book of the Year. (strangely enough in 2000, which must be synchronutic)
It is about the coming together and the tearing apart of characters who were native to Tasmania and others who were our ancestors.
It meets the sleeve notes, being funny, savage and compassionate.
Several characters are aboriginal, who are as busy killing each other as they are the European settlers and convicts. Albert insists that I read him a whole sentence each night before he picks the fleas off his clack. Or as they say somewhere else, "off of" which really gets up my exquisitely delicate european nose, or bloody great 'hooter' as some would describe it. :shock:
Byron 'sends his regards.'
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Makera

Post by Makera »

Those pesky little keds have a way of popping up all over the place, don't they?

To completely change the subject, so to speak, I think you may get a kick outa something my son said yesterday. I developed a cramp in my right foot (one of those that grabs you just behind your toes) that simply wouldn't ease up. Just when I'd think it was gone, it was back with avengeance. Anyway, there I am stomping around on the cool tiles of the living room floor trying to 'walk' it out, when my son (13 on Thursday) says, "Oh, just grab your foot by the balls and tell it to stop being a bitch!"
:lol: :lol: 8)
Needless to say, that helped enormously! :D

~Makera
Last edited by Makera on Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Makera

Post by Makera »

Love the new Teddy Bear 'avatar', Byron! (still don't 'get' the use of that word for a signature image. :? :P )

~Makera
Byron

Post by Byron »

Wich wird?
Makera

Dat wird wot don't make sens

Post by Makera »

Hey Byron~

Sorry, didn't mean to be vague; I was referring to 'avatar' -- as far as my understanding goes (usually a long way) that refers to the incarnation of a god on earth. Deus ex machina then is it?

~Makera

Return to “Comments & Questions”