Problem solved!

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
linmag

Problem solved!

Post by linmag »

Well, that resolves at least one long-running controversy! Unless I detect a degree of irony in Leonard's response to our birthday greetings, he does not read the rest of what goes on in here :D "Sweet natures" indeed :roll:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ~ That's great, Linmag! You oughta be a scientist :wink: . Now we can rest assured..... :D .

~ Lizzytysh
Paula

Post by Paula »

Linmag that was the very thought that crossed my mind. Sweet natures who is he referring to :lol:

It is like daggers drawn in here sometimes :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, he obviously :shock: meant it in the context of our messages to him! At least we seem to be able to manage that much :lol: !
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts »

Yes but there are so many we have lost along the way :cry: :cry: :cry:

JTS
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, it may also be a shining example of Leonard's humour :wink: .
Paula

Post by Paula »

Leonard can't seem to do right for doing wrong in some peoples eyes.

I think it was a sincere message.
Linda

Post by Linda »

I thought his message was pretty general, not very sincere. I was disappointed in his message, not for myself, but a lot of you put heart and soul into the wishes to him.
"Your constant encourgement" ?? "Sweet Natures" We know he does not read the message board.
He must be all caught up in the inner sweetness of the man could not be concealed. It will shine sooner or later. :lol:
Linda
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

For some reason this thread reminds me of the old saying
"never look a gift horse in the mouth"
Jarkko
jurica

Post by jurica »

i get the impression some people would like leonard to read this stuff.
that would be a very bad thing to do, if you ask me. it's actualy rude to listen to other people talking about you without them knowing you are doing it, especialy if you are a public person living of their support.

i would hate it if i couldn't write my opinions without fear that i might insult him. i would hate to write about his poetry if i was afraid he might read it and think: 'that was not what i meant at all'.

and i would HATE it if he wasted his precious time reading stupidity we all put here on daily bases.

and i think his message was the only one that made sense: depersonalized and distant. he doesn't know any of us, for G-d's sake.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Does it really matter?
Linda

Post by Linda »

In the grand scheme of things probably not.
Linda
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'll second that, Jarkko!!! You could knock me over with a feather as I read some of these responses. Unbelievable!

Insincere??? I may have made light of the comments re: our sweet natures [in the context of some of the conflicts we've had here and the sides of ourselves we've inevitably shown]. However, to project whatever discontent there may be with ourselves onto Leonard, with his truly, sweet response is just ~ projection!!!

I am thrilled to see that he took the time to not only read our wishes for him, but to reply to us, as well! It would seem that some detractors have never really listened [well] to how Leonard typically expresses himself with graciousness, simplicity, subtlety, and understatement. Our "pouring out our hearts" to him certainly does not mandate that he do the same in return, with phrasings that are blatantly so. We who took the time to express our wishes are [whatever number] amongst literally thousands worldwide who also love him, and simply have not had the opportunity to express their wishes, as well......or may be even closer to him, and have done so in different ways and received their own form of response.

Leonard gives and gives and gives to his followers in many ways. To filter a personal message from him through a screen of discontent is both abominable and offensive.....and, as Jarkko has already said, is most definitely "looking a gift horse in the mouth." This is one time I am truly feeling embarrassed on behalf of others.

Even if he were tempted at some point to peruse the remainder of the forum, some of the responses here would be enough to deter that, and convince him to look toward doing better things. I'm stunned. Even the emoticons can't touch how I'm feeling, so I've bypassed even their usage.

~ Elizabeth
Linda

Post by Linda »

Lighten up Lizzytysh, it is not that quite that serious.
Last edited by Linda on Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Please confine yourself to speaking for yourself, Linda.

Return to “Comments & Questions”