Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
brightnow

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by brightnow »

MaryRachel wrote:Hi everyone, longtime lurker, first time poster here. I have been browsing this forum on and off for some time now, so I thought it was time I joined in. :)
Welcome to the forum! :)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
sal_pph

Post by sal_pph »

Hello I am another newbie! Only discovered the greatness of Leonard Cohen in the last year - introduced by my Brother in Law who is a big fan, after he had been to the concert in Sligo. Can't wait to see him in Dublin this year (If I get a ticket :) :) ), getting anxious about the ticket hunt already!
Looking forward to "meeting" you all
Sal
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

sal_pph wrote:Hello I am another newbie! Only discovered the greatness of Leonard Cohen in the last year - introduced by my Brother in Law who is a big fan, after he had been to the concert in Sligo. Can't wait to see him in Dublin this year (If I get a ticket :) :) ), getting anxious about the ticket hunt already!
Looking forward to "meeting" you all
Sal
Welcome to the forum Sal, we have a great Irish contingent, I'm sure you'll meet them all soon enough!
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal »

Hello Everyone,
I am a newbie here too. Don't know just when it happened--don't know just how it happened, but I can't get enough of this man and his music and poetry. When I heard about this new concert tour in Eurpoe I said to my husband "Ahem, honey, Leonard Cohen is starting a new concert tour in Europe. If I can get tickets to the Paris show, how would you feel about taking a little trip?" He said, "Whatever you want love. You make the plan and I'll go along." (he is a fan too). Well, Thursday morning 3AM found me sitting in front of my trusty computer duking it out for great tickets to the show in Paris on the 28th. I was so excited and nervous!! Great seats and ok, as long as we are going that far, why not Verona too? I am still walking on air--giddy like a shcool-girl. Can't wait to meet some of you fellow fans at both locations.
Barbara
we are so lightly here
it is in love that we are born--in love we disappear

Verona 2012, Paris 2012, Detroit 2012, Boston 2012, Miami 2013, New Orleans 2013
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Hydrogal wrote:Hello Everyone,
I am a newbie here too. Don't know just when it happened--don't know just how it happened, but I can't get enough of this man and his music and poetry. When I heard about this new concert tour in Eurpoe I said to my husband "Ahem, honey, Leonard Cohen is starting a new concert tour in Europe. If I can get tickets to the Paris show, how would you feel about taking a little trip?" He said, "Whatever you want love. You make the plan and I'll go along." (he is a fan too). Well, Thursday morning 3AM found me sitting in front of my trusty computer duking it out for great tickets to the show in Paris on the 28th. I was so excited and nervous!! Great seats and ok, as long as we are going that far, why not Verona too? I am still walking on air--giddy like a shcool-girl. Can't wait to meet some of you fellow fans at both locations.
Welcome to the forum, so glad that you're off to such a good start! Do stick around, it's going to be exciting around here for a good while.
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal »

Thanks for the welcome brightnow. I do plan on sticking around. Who else will understand how Leonard's words and music have helped me to find my spiritual self at a time when I really needed it. I think I'm in the right place!!
Barbara
we are so lightly here
it is in love that we are born--in love we disappear

Verona 2012, Paris 2012, Detroit 2012, Boston 2012, Miami 2013, New Orleans 2013
glass

Post by glass »

Hello, another newbie here.

I started listening to Leonard Cohen about 5 years ago and was smitten right away. It still lasts. Actually, Leonard Cohen plays a big part in how me and my boyfriend got together. We met up while going out and while chatting away, we started talking about music. I told him I loved Cohen and he happened to be a big fan too. I told him I had tickets to see the 2008 concert in Brugge. He told me how disappointed he was he that he didn't have any. The original plan was for me to with a friend of mine, but the day after I met my soon to be boyfriend, this friend was at my door telling me he couldn't make it, giving me his ticket and saying I could sell it to someone else.

So of course I thought of my encounter the night before and got his phonenumber through another friend of mine. I told him he could have the ticket IF he agreed to go with me (I didn't want to go alone!). He agreed, we kept in contact and by the time Leonard Cohen was in Brugge, we were already lovers :)

Looking forward to this summer, we have 2 tickets for the Ghent concert...

I've been lurking for a while now, so I thought I'd say hi.

So, hi!

Lynn
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Hydrogal ~

Welcome to the Forum :D ... I understand your immersion ;-) . Happy for you that your husband feels the same.
I'm going to the Paris concert, too, but on the 30th, so unlikely we'll meet there.
I'm going to Verona, too, though... so check out the Meet-Ups section for the Verona one [up in News], so the two of you can join us there.
So, this will be your first time seeing Leonard? You are not going to believe your experience... transcendent

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, my, Lynn :D ~

Such a great love-story meeting! Wonderful anecdote! It sure seems fate stepped in with you two. I LOVE hearing stories like yours 8) . And I especially love that you were already lovers by the time of the concert. So fitting that you should go together with that status.

I'm glad you stopped in to say hi and share your story. Watch the Meet-Ups section [up in News area ~ not section] for there will surely be one in Ghent, where you will meet MANY from here, and you will LOVE Maarten, Jarkko, and Eija [if you haven't already]!

Welcome to the Forum :D ... and thank you for sharing your great love story. Getting together over Leonard bodes well for your relationship.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
glass

Post by glass »

Thank you Lizzy! Everyone seems so warm and welcoming here, I noticed when reading other posts. I like that :) Too often I've seen people being bitter, cynical and downright mean because "it's just the internet, right?" Forgetting that there's another person on the other side of the computer...

I saw there's a topic for a meetup in Ghent, I will be watching that :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ha. And here I am looking for the Like button, right :lol: ?

Well, I'll just spell it out, then... yes, overall, yo will find this a VERY friendly and welcoming group of good people.
DO go to the meet-up in Ghent. You will be surrounded by people of that same nature... just feel free to introduces yourselves, and let your new friendships begin. It's wonderful.

Yes, it appears that many other sites/forums on the Internet are as you describe, and we are unique here in that way [as well as many others]. As September approaches, begin to narrow down what you might want to say to Leonard to wish him a happy birthday. We'll have a thread for that very thing, which Leonard will read, via Jarkko, and generally [given time... so this year might be different] will give an overall thank you to everyone. Just something in this process is very gratifying.

I hope to meet you somewhere on the road, glass :) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

I have been a fan since hearing LC for the first time at the end of a student party in 1979. The party was winding down but I was drawn to music coming from a darkened room. I cannot remember which particular song was playing, but I was immediately hooked. As a poor student, initially all I could afford to buy was "Greatest Hits" which I still consider to be the best compilation album ever released.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome, Tacitus... Mmmmmm on your description of your discovery.
I hear it all in my mind 8) and my imagination makes it all wonderful.
~ Oscar Wilde
Lazysuit

Post by Lazysuit »

Well, i've been browsing this forum for years so i can hardly call myself new to the place but I've never introduced myself...I found the forum in 2008 trying to get tickets for the Opera House Manchester concert. I got two tickets off an angel here and since then I haven't chatted at all in any of the discussions and have lost my previous name and password and so I just re-joined out of an excitement of the latest record. I won't blurb on about anything here, I just want to say hello, hope your all well and it's good to have a seat in such a warm place as this.
so_long_marianne

Post by so_long_marianne »

Hi :)
I'm kind of new, I joined a while ago but never actually introduced myself!
I'm 19 (unfortunate in the sense that none of my friends would want to go to a concert with me, fortunate in that my student loan helps pay for tickets ;-) ) I discovered Leonard a few years ago and have been a big fan since then. I'll be seeing him for the second time on 11th Sept :D
Manchester 2008
Dublin 2012
Manchester 2013
Dublin 2013

Return to “Comments & Questions”