Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Blusere

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by Blusere »

Hi to all,
I'm new....actually joined a while back, but for personal reasons wasnt around for a while: aside from my own health, I was my husbands carer, and he passed away in May. ( he shared the same birthday as Leonard.....21st September, with just a year between; he would have been 81)

Life is not easy.....but my cats, and music, help keep me going. There are so many songs which help so much.

And also, with a dreadful irony, my mother was burned to death in a house fire three years ago. "Who by fire" has taken on a very specific meaning(Im Jewish) and between that and my husbands death( were were married 34 years) life is quite a struggle.

I'm hoping to join in here and be as active as I can.

Blu
Blusere

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum...

Post by Blusere »

Box_of_Rain wrote:I know a scalper price is unacceptable. I swear at one point I was curled up in a ball on my couch crying. It was kind of strange. I am a big music lover, of course. I just had my heart set on seeing him perform. It just seemed meant to happen for me after I had been talking about it. I know I am so knew to it all. I don't even have any of his CD's or albums. After watching the movie, I went to playlist.com and have a playlist of his music to listen to while I'm on the computer. I'm going to Salt Lake next week and I'm visiting a album store to see what they have. Not interested in downloading music, I'd rather have something in my hand.

I'm an old "deadhead", use to follow the Grateful Dead...that's where Box of Rain comes from, it's a song. I always call fans, heads.

I might have been missing out all of those years but, it's also kind of cool to be new to it all, discovering things for the first time.

I was recently on a Nick Cave tour, his newest CD was new to me, plus I didn't know a lot of his work. It's such a wonderful way to become familar with someone...to see them perform. It's like meeting the musican, the music and words with such a open and fresh feel.

I know how lucky I am. I totally appreciate that I have this opportunity. I told my friend that I wanted to get the expensive ticket, 250, she said she couldn't affort that I told her I would pitch in an extra hundred...so in the end I am paying about what I thought I'd be paying, just getting one ticket.

Sorry I have to go on but I remember back in the Grateful Dead days I told this scapler,"deadheads do not buy scalper tickets, you'll see"....I got into that show trading my backrow ticket for his frontrow ticket! I guess times have changed. It's ok.

I'll be sure to let you know on this forum if I hear of any extra tickets! I promise.

Denise
Hi,

I'm new here, too....I loved this:
<<<<
I might have been missing out all of those years but, it's also kind of cool to be new to it all, discovering things for the first time. >>>>>>

Indeed it is cool to be new to it all....wonderful! Im an old lady who has been a Cohenite since the start(and I remember seeing my (very cool)grandmother reading Beautiful Losers when it first came out) and it must be so lovely to be discovering it all....

Welcome, from this old newbie, in Scotland
Blu
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

Hi Blu,

Really sorry to hear about both your husband and your mother.
Cavafy II

Finally found this forum, yeah

Post by Cavafy II »

Hi folks, itś a little bit frightening what brought me here....

....I had a mystic or let me say "super-natural" encounter with Leonard Cohen´s music and lyrics.

His album "Ten New Songs" appealled to me from the very first time I´ve heard the songs. It was around the 2000s
when the Twin Towers came down. I bought the album immediately and had great experiences showing the music
around my family and friends....

....but Yeah --- I never could´ve imagined what a crazy role this aklbum would play in my further life...until this irrational
experoence I´ve had an hour before. I was breaking down and cryuing, crying like a dog hound....because the lyrics just hit me
into the centre of my heart. And not only ME but two other people...people that had sufered a whole life long. It was unbelievable.

It was extremely overwhelming...and it was full of peace and healing, too!! All at once....crazy crazy thing.
------------------------------------

I didn´t know before that there is such a widespread and devoted Cohen family on the net. A deper and deeper inquiry of all of his
music and lyrics are goin´on, me thinks...is taht true? Can the locals here say YES to that?? It´s only my feeling for now....
-----------------------------------

And a second feeling bothers me and teases me, driving me mad....*shudder*

"Is Leonard Cohen - G-d beware - kind of a HIGH PRIEST???". This question goes out to the Jews among us....

....IS he???????

Me is thinking he IS.

(I´m german and 43 years old struggling with a complete re-start and re-set of all of my life....).
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The postings of these last three wonderful people additions to our Forum have moved me.

AlexandraLaughing ~ I'm happy to see someone younger [yes, you are younger, in context] discover and fall in love with Leonard's work is heartening. It seems the music we hear when we first discover and bond with Leonard's work has a permanent imprint. I can only hope that you, too, will get to see him perform live.

Blusere/Blu ~ Between your age and the parallels [I'm a bit younger, but not by that much] and how consoling your cats and Leonard's music are for you, with the loss of your husband, after your years as his carer... I am so sorry for your loss], and especially the loss of your beloved mother in such a traumatic way [how Who By Fire has permeated your being by its lyrics alone, and even more so with your being Jewish]. I can only imagine and my heart is with you in your struggle to accept life on its terms and go on. I'm glad that you have chosen to return here. Had I known you before, I'd not have been surprised if you were simply unable to for even more years. I hope you will experience only kindness and love here, and will keep coming back.

Cavafy II ~ That's an amazing account of what happened with you, as well as your friends... and that your experience was peaceful and healing, as well. I loved "Ten New Songs" from the beginning, too. I say "YES" to your conjecture that a deeper and deeper inquiry of all of his music and lyrics are going on here. I am not a Jew, but I would concur with whatever high placement Jews afford Leonard. History, circumstances, and fate have brought various people into special places of honour, and I believe Leonard is the rightful occupier of one, as well... though, I don't know what term is best suited. Could he be a modern day prophet? I think he could. I'm happy that at 43 you've found this Forum and continue with Leonard's work to help you with your re-start and re-set of all of your life. An ideal combination for that.

All the best and my heartfelt, warm welcome to all three of you,
Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Cavafy II

Post by Cavafy II »

Many thanks for this nice reply.

I was wondering why it takes rather long 'til another person writes a follow-up posting.

Might have ben I had a little fear I was too exaggerating the impact of Cohens music....

...but nevertheless I stick to it over and over.

This was NOT my last expreience, only the start! I discovered how many CDs are out there

with lyrics and music of L.C. and immediately bought a lot of them.

There were at least 5 other songs that spoke loudly and clearly to my heart.

Right into the situation I was in! Could well be that Cohen is not only a Priest, but

Prophete, too....if this is a category in ourdays to fit people in. Prophetes are not

modern anymore...but was very much respected in ancient times. So, let's see

what happens here. I am amazed and crippled.

Bye, Stefan
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Stefan ~

You weren't exaggerating the impact of Leonard's music, at all. Before the Forum got so busy, there was a somewhat 'core' of us here who kept regular contact with this thread. I've been away from the computer and/or Forum for different periods of time for different reasons. This [last night] was the first I checked this thread, and I responded immediately, on the spot. Others who would respond, as well, simply haven't seen it, yet.

Leonard has a profound effect in various ways for many and varied reasons on the people here. They don't all express it, but when someone like you does, you can trust that it's appreciated! And that we understand and 'get it' :) .

As time goes on, you'll find that other songs speak to you in very definite ways, as well. Leonard has been careful to construct his songs with many layers, and speaks of that in various interviews. Have you checked out any of his interviews on the Files [link at the top]. Prepare yourself to SERIOUSLY fall in love :) !
~ Oscar Wilde
Natalie_Salat

Post by Natalie_Salat »

Hi

I found this forum because a member of it quoted a book i was looking for.

I know of Mr Cohen but would like to know more.

I rely on audio books and audio recordings a lot. Birth accident led to brain damage and a visual impairment. I like the tv show Doctor Who. Tom Baker's powerful velvety, voice allowed my mind to construct visuals that were probably a lot better than the reality and my mind probably made much better costumes and monsters than the costume department.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Love your playful approach to your situation, Natalie. Welcome to the Forum! My belief is that you will find Leonard's voice comforting, as well. Happy to have you here :) Glad you found us!

All the best,
Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
Cavafy II

Post by Cavafy II »

lizzytysh wrote: As time goes on, you'll find that other songs speak to you in very definite ways, as well. Leonard has been careful to construct his songs with many layers, and speaks of that in various interviews. Have you checked out any of his interviews on the Files [link at the top]. Prepare yourself to SERIOUSLY fall in love :) !
Thank you for these most valuable words. And yes: I have been struck ever and ever again by Leonards lyrics. I cannot describe in detail how many lines, words or the combination of all of them with the music have had an impact on my life, on my soul, on a given situation. I have now purchased a lot of albums...goin through the songs, feeling like a spiritual ignited man....eyes filled with tears.

I have to shake my head again and aiganin because it is not normal, not natural, that lyrics from 20 years ago speak RIGHT into a situation, into a heart, into mental disease, especially THIS.

I gues, and I gues, and I guess - I could establish a very new kind of psychotherapy based only on texts and songs of L.C. It seems like every sentence, every word is loaded with supernatural power. And by the way, I have never had any insight into Leonards work, his intgerviews or his own interpretations of his songs.

I've found this webpage of Mr Boelters, who has all and every text of L-C. in original words and in german translation. But sorry to say - the translation doesn't always justice to the text. But well, that's normal.

Yes, I fell in love. It's quite an amazing thing...

Greetings, Stefan
silverangel

Post by silverangel »

hi , I am silverangel and new to this forum. I am listenting to Leoanard Cohen for two years now and more and more I appreciate his works. I have not a favourite album but many favourite songs :) and does anybody know if there is a news about Cohen ( like a new album or so), members get email automatically or just visit this site often? Beside of Cohen I like to listen to Bob Dylan, Kate Bush and many more. I am from the Netherlands. I found this site due to biography about Cohen I read some time ago, hope to find interesting knowlegde, information and discussions here :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi silverangel [lovely name :) ] ~ Welcome to our beloved Leonard Cohen Forum/Files :) 8) .
I don't think there's any email notification process that's used in a general way such as that. Your best bet is to just check the News section here regularly/often. Since you're in the Netherlands, I hope you'll find a way to join us in Amsterdam for the 2016 Leonard Cohen Event. You'll be so happy you did! You'll meet many people who have loved and listened to Leonard Cohen from the beginning, from midway through his career, and those such as you, who've only recently discovered and begun listening to him. You will not feel the least bit out of place, as people are willing to share their experiences. Typically, in general conversation at these Events, we are simply getting to know each other! There are plenty of official offerings that give you insight into Leonard, though. You'll love coming to one of our Events!

All the best,
Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
Malcolm F

Post by Malcolm F »

Hi. I'm new, too.
There was a programme on Britain’s BBC Radio 4 yesterday about Leonard Cohen’s “Halleujah”. It reminded me of the poem I wrote after being blown away by his performance a couple of years ago at the O2 Arena in London. I’ve enjoyed his work for years. The poem’s meant to be a tribute. Its borrowings, tone and rhythms change as different (favourite) songs are referenced. Hope there’s some of you out there who’ll enjoy it.

Leonard
When they asked me who you were, I said
Song writer, singer, poet.
But I could have said a dark gold thread
Recurring through the years.

I’ve known you such a long, long time,
Through anger, joy and tears.
You’ve been there at new beginnings
And at some bitter ends.

I knew you first such years ago;
On laid back nights with friends
I heard your songs of hate and love
And kept them with me close.

Now, I’m grown so much older,
But that famous blue raincoat –
With the tear on its shoulder –
It still has the power, you know.

And the bird on the wire
Took Berlin and Manhattan
And set them both afire.
Now you’ve claimed back Hallelujah,
And built a tower of song.

With new work and old ideas,
Your reputation strong,
You perform to packed arenas
And the audiences beguile.

The voice is rich and deeper now;
You charm the gathered throng
And with your talent, wit and warmth -
Yeah - you even made us smile.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's WONDERFUL, Malcolm F. A great tribute to Leonard and so very clear how highly you regard him. I love the image of a dark gold thread recurring through the years... there at new beginnings and at some bitter ends... and the whole verse on blue raincoat. So true. Love how you've celebrated Leonard's claiming back of Hallelujah and building a tower of song.. with new work and old ideas, [his] reputation strong... and the entire last verse. Well done, and it shows a lot of care. Welcome to the Forum :D . You might want to share this in the Member's Poetry section, as well.
~ Oscar Wilde
Cihan

Post by Cihan »

Hi everyone,

I'm Cihan, 18, and from the UK. I've lurked on this site (Sounds dodgy when I put it like that :lol: )for a while and thought I'd finally make an account 'cause you all seem like nice chaps.

I like playing guitar, singing (poorly), writing (poorly too haha), listening to music (Cohen, Waits, and Young are my holy trinity of songwriters), and checking out new films/games.

Hope to talk to you all soon!

Return to “Comments & Questions”