Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
LisaLCFan

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hi Leonix,

Click on this link:

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/

When you get there, click on "Song Index" in the left column. This will give you a link to every Leonard Cohen song and its lyrics. Enjoy!

Lisa
Irma Pia

Post by Irma Pia »

hello people, this is irma from Turkey checkin in. i'm old an i lil grumpy but happy to be here
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ha. We all can be that way, Irma. Join the crowd :D . Great to have you here from Turkey! There was a woman long ago from there, who appeared to get cut off from the Internet. We corresponded privately and a couple things she said suggested that this was somehow the case. I was sad to see her go. Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you're here, too 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MusicRevisited

Post by MusicRevisited »

Hi all, I've only just recently discovered Leonard Cohen, and his vast amount of work already seems like a comforting old friend. I'm a young guy who's been playing the guitar for not so long, but just one instrument has introduced me to so many things. I'm a beginner singer/songwriter, and I find that poetry is a must for anyone to survive. Be it experiencing someone else's or sharing your own. I find that most of my writing falls in the realm of a mix between Paul Simon, Gordon Lightfoot, and Bob Dylan, so finding Leonard Cohen seems like something that was bound to happen sooner or later. Just from perusing through the forum, I'm already impressed by the talented people here. You all seem like very warm, caring people inspired by the lyrics of a living legend, and I'm glad to be aboard.
"Somewhere in a burst of glory, sound becomes a song" -Paul Simon
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And we're glad to have you here, MusicRevisited [vs. Highway61]. Looking forward to your joining in here. Your interests are certainly in alignment. You're right, too, that there are MANY very talented people on this site. Some hardcore Dylan fans, as well... and Paul Simon gets talked about very favourably, too. Gordon Lightfoot doesn't get mentioned so much, but no doubt some, somewhere here.

You will find Leonard more and more inspiring as time [as well as your own years] go on... and, yes, this is a VERY friendly place on the Internet... and you will not believe our administrator, Jarkko... amazing man!

Welcome :D !!!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
I.Babel

Post by I.Babel »

Hello, I'm Ed from Massachusetts. When I was about 15 years old (a long, long time ago) my father was working for a small local radio station. He used to bring me promotional records that the station received, and I was exposed to many different artists this way. One day he handed me a black album with a photograph of a dour looking older man in a suit on the cover and a woman in flames on the back, and asked "Is this one of your guys?"... well, it was not the usual type of thing I would look for to mix in with my Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, but I gave it a spin. It changed my world and I've been a devoted fan of Leonard Cohen ever since... over 40 years :shock: !

Greetings and best wishes to all here!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome, Ed :D with the fascinating avatar. Your description of how you came to Leonard is inspiring. I can feel the discovery all over again as I read it. Leonard's first album was my first discovery of him, as well. And my world was never again the same.

How time goes by so quickly, huh... 40 years poof!

You will love this site and I'm glad to see you here. Such a fine favour your father did for you as a 15-year-old. Did he ever come to like/love Leonard, too?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
I.Babel

Post by I.Babel »

Thank you Lizzy... nice to be here! But no, my father never became a fan himself... in fact I recall listening to Songs of Love and Hate a few years later, and him saying "You like that??" :lol:
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

HI...ALL YOU NEW PEOPLE

Welcome to this place....the world of the friends of Leonard...it is a VERY good place..

Our years,, do not seem to matter too much...Young..older and..some like me..much older..

He does really change our lives..if you listen...

I have been a fan for well over 40 years....but on the forum... for less than a year.....
In this year...I have travelled thousands of miles in distance....and many, many more miles in
learning about myself....wonderful..wonderful people and places and of course....Leonard!

I hope you all experience the magic....that this world has to offer..
Again... a big welcome!
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"
traffic-for-blog

Post by traffic-for-blog »

Just wanted to say hello. I've only discovered the man himself a couple of months ago and haven't stopped listening to him. So as I was googling to find out more about him I came across this site, so here I am! :D
Craig Spain
<a href="http://www.world-of-songwriting.com/">World Of Songwriting</a> - Your ultimate guide to writing, recording and selling songs!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And you struck platinum when you did, if platinum is strikeable! Note the links above and go to Speaking Cohen, as well. Between the two, you won't find any better info on Leonard anywhere... other than DrHGuy's awesome site! Oh... and the Croatian and French and other language sites. This is where it all began, however... and that surely shows 8) .

Welcome to the Forum, traffic-for-blog... you're in for a great time, if you hang around and join in :D .

You may find yourself deleted, however, if that info at the bottom of your posting turns out to be a self-serving advertising link :? .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Brooklynite

Post by Brooklynite »

Hello everyone,

I have re-discovered Leonard Cohen. The writer Christopher Hitchens has late stage cancer and wrote in the current Vanity Fair magazine that a friend gifted him with a Leonard Cohen CD. He has recently lost his voice and, although famously atheist, he was very moved by Leonard's "If It Be Your Will." I decided to give it a listen this evening on youtube. Well, I have been sitting here for the last five hours catching up. I barely stopped to eat dinner. I cannot get enough at the moment and am mourning the lost years of opportunity. :neutral: I could have been enjoying his music all these years. I was a fan back in the '70s (I know I'm showing my age). I am thrilled that although he is now in his 70s that he is having such a strong following. I hope I can see him in concert some day. Till then, thank goodness for youtube!
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Brooklyn, welcome to this forum, you will find a wealth of information, musings, and yes, videos of LC's concerts here. I have been here for a number of months now and I still am discovering gems.

My wife and I are probably your age and like you, rediscovered Leonard, in our cases in late 2009. One thing led to the next, and in December,2010 we found ourselves at Caser's Palace seeing our first concert (of any genre) in many, many years. It was an experience we will never forget. (Our only disappointment was only getting tickets for 1 of the 2 concerts there, we naively thought once would be enough; on the second night there were two very sad people at Caesar's Palace trying to enjoy dinner knowing that LC was playing a stone's throw away.) Hopefully LC will feel a desire to hit the road again with another tour, if he does we will definitely see him (our fantasy is a trip to Ireland, which we have not visited in 15 years, to see him in a couple of venues in that beautiful land). If there is another tour, be sure to see LC in concert, you will not be sorry you did no matter what the cost.

In closing, be sure to view some of the great videos here by Albert, his work is extraordinary. One of my favorites is So Long, Marianne from Sligo 2010.

Welcome, and enjoy your visits here!

Curt
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Brooklynite

Post by Brooklynite »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Curt! I haven't seen that particular Sligo video yet, but was immediately drawn to the other Sligo videos because my parents are from a neighboring county there in Ireland. I even watched a little video of Leonard on the tour bus after the Sligo concert. It was great to see the reception Leonard got there...and everywhere! Like you, I'd love to see Leonard in Ireland. What a gift he has and what a gift he is!
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Welcome to the Forum Brooklynite :D

I really hope you get your wishes to see Leonard play here in Ireland :D I was in Lissadell the first night and like you Brooklynite was very sad not to be at the second show but logistics wouldn't allow. Needless to say I didn't make the same mistake in Las Vegas and you can be sure if we are lucky enough to have Leonard go on tour again and grace us here in The Emerald Isle I will be at every show he does here :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"

Return to “Comments & Questions”