Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Brooklynite

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by Brooklynite »

Hi musicmania! I'm a Galway girl through my parents! I have been to Ireland many times, the last time was in October. I still have plenty of family there. I'm happy that Leonard is so highly thought of there.
lizzy67

Post by lizzy67 »

Hi, everybody !!!!
I´m a spanish woman, from Girona ( Spain),new in this forum,.....and with the good luck of to see and to hear LC on his 2009 European Tour, in Cap Roig Festival, near the beach of Palafrugell.... the most marvellous concert I ever had seen.... I´m 43 years old, and I discovered Leonard Cohen with the help of my brother: in the eighties, he always bought his Lps by mail, and one time he received one that he didn´t ordered: it was " I´m your man" and before he could returned, I heard it: he captured me with his voice.... until now....
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Greetings, lizzy67 and welcome to the Forum! I love your anecdote... what I would call "divine providence" ~ it was meant to be for you! Was your brother captured by Leonard's album, as well? Did you keep the album or did he insist on returning it? Perhaps, the company 'mistakenly' sent it out as a voice everyone should hear 8) :) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sharik

Post by sharik »

Shalom Everyone --
Im not so new to this forum, but now- since i decided to introduce my-self and my own music its proper that i unveil myself here as well...
Leonard was a major inspiration in my music ( as you may notice easily-- i will post my songs in the 'Other Music' and 'Tribute concerts, Cover versions ..' topics )
and ...my name is Nadav not sharik :shock: ...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And welcome, Nadav :D ... from whence does sharik come? I prefer your real name to your screen one, too. Look forward to listening to your own music... and it was very respectful to introduce yourself here, as well.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sharik

Post by sharik »

HI Lizzy

thank for your words.
sharik is just a funny ( for me ) made up name -- if anal-ized -- it consists of sharuk - a famous boliwood actor , shrek the monster, and a play on words of karish - which is shark in Hebrew… ;) but im not so sophisticated usually ...
hope you like my music
Nadav
gecheek

Post by gecheek »

Hi! I'm new to the forum but am happy to be here and find others who enjoy Leonard Cohen's music and poetry. I really didn't know who he was until I heard Hallelujah on Shrek. Then a friend of ours played it on the piano and sang while another danced. It was beautiful and I was hooked on the song. Then when my daughter heard the song and decided to learn it she stayed up til almost 3am one night learning the Alexandria Burke version of the song. So my quest is to find out if this song is appropriate for an 8 year old to sing. IF she sings it she will be performing it for competition and I'm scared of how the judges might score her if the song is not age appropriate. I'm currently searching for the lost lyrics of the song or any lyrics that would make it more appropriate for her. There are a few verses that are definitely not appropriate for her age but some that I don't think are all that bad. But you can't argue that it's probably one of the most beautiful songs ever written both musically and lyrically and I know that's what's pulling her in and making her want to sing it so badly. But anyway, I'm here and I'm happy to be here and I look forward to talking with all of you! :D
mat james

Post by mat james »

Relax gecheek,
the song is about praising God.
One may praise God for all sorts of reasons.
King David made a bad mistake (betrayed one of his own soldiers to steal away his woman, Bathsheba) and then, full with guilt and self-hatred, went to his God in despair. (The broken Hallelujah)
Others just accept and praise their God without guilt. (the holy Hallelujah)

This song infers that it does not matter what brought a person to god; holy acts or broken acts; it is just good to "go there" and appreciate one's God.

Your daughter is in good hands.

Mat.
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
Johnnyzgb

Post by Johnnyzgb »

Hello!
I'm new here,and I'm very glad that I have finally become official member of Cohen family:)
I'm 23,boy from Croatian capital Zagreb..I've been listening to Cohen for a few years now and he is one of my favourite artists,top 3 on my first place:D
Love his art sooo much,I've been on only one concert,2010 in Zagreb..
He is one of my biggest role models and life inspirations so far,in my not so long life,not just as a songwriter but as a person.
I often argue with my brother who is better,Cohen or Dylan..For me there is no doubt..Although I was on Dylan twice:p

Greetings to all of you:)
Boruch

Post by Boruch »

Welcome to the forum! Here's hoping for 10 more new songs!!! Leonard Cohen is the Poet with the Know-it.
FallenSongBird

Post by FallenSongBird »

My name is Trinity Dawn. I wanted to join page because Leonard's music has changed my life. I am a fallen song bird. This is just as my name suggests. I am lost in this busy, and loveless world. I try and I try not to lose myself. I want to keep the flame of hope alive. I was given a gift of song as a child from YHWH. I was sitting here searching for songs to sing. I cannot write anymore. I do covers of songs that I like. I was reading lyrics. The song Hallelujah hit me like a ton of bricks. After reading it, I found a video of it. I feel compelled to write here. My history is such, I have been away from everything 'good' that I was raised in for 15 years. Struggling, because I wanted to taste all that I was missing. It has not worked out. I keep singing songs, but they aren't the ones I was put on this earth to sing. I made it a point to learn this song. I wanted to give it to my mother, I actually sang Hallelujah for my mother the other day. She felt Mr. Cohen's lyrics. And she said she felt how they spoke to my heart. It broke her. I cried after also. It has touched us both. Because in the end, I face my maker. And I know what I was put on this earth to do. I don't know if anyone can understand what I have written here. I hope somebody does. I am going thru a catalog of other Cohen songs and I am blown away..the lyrics are just as life. Its real, and the poems are all the things I want to say, but I am not brave enough. Be Blessed ;-)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi FallenSongBird,

Welcome to the forum (and to all the others who have introduced themselves in this thread). Happened
to read your post and I thank you for your touching intro. I'm sure that what you wrote will
resonate with some others here. Thanks again.
fishfishquaileye

Post by fishfishquaileye »

Hi I am newer here, I am part of the New Hampshire Fishfishquaileyes and my interest is poem and good writings. I am not politics at all expect governings and senuts. I think the Hurricaned the other day was bad but could have been even more of. Leonard I have never seen personaly but I do like his musics especially the really good ones! I ma sad his manger stole his money and wish him prison and flogging by his neck. Justice must be done and we get Leoanrd back on road for a happy retirement in cottage dogs and cats and maybe family children also. We msut never give up on Democracy, it is coming and coming to the USA!!!!!

Fish
Violet

Post by Violet »

fishfishquaileye wrote:Hi I am newer here, I am part of the New Hampshire Fishfishquaileyes and my interest is poem and good writings. I am not politics at all expect governings and senuts. I think the Hurricaned the other day was bad but could have been even more of. Leonard I have never seen personaly but I do like his musics especially the really good ones! I ma sad his manger stole his money and wish him prison and flogging by his neck. Justice must be done and we get Leoanrd back on road for a happy retirement in cottage dogs and cats and maybe family children also. We msut never give up on Democracy, it is coming and coming to the USA!!!!!

Fish
Violet
fishfishquaileye

Post by fishfishquaileye »

Violet wrote:
fishfishquaileye wrote:Hi I am newer here, I am part of the New Hampshire Fishfishquaileyes and my interest is poem and good writings. I am not politics at all expect governings and senuts. I think the Hurricaned the other day was bad but could have been even more of. Leonard I have never seen personaly but I do like his musics especially the really good ones! I ma sad his manger stole his money and wish him prison and flogging by his neck. Justice must be done and we get Leoanrd back on road for a happy retirement in cottage dogs and cats and maybe family children also. We msut never give up on Democracy, it is coming and coming to the USA!!!!!

Fish
yabber yabber
all orange
no content

Return to “Comments & Questions”