Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
HorseCrazyClarinet

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by HorseCrazyClarinet »

Hello,
I'm a young teen who has been raised on a steady diet of Leonard Cohen from very very young age.
Although I'm young I can easily appreciate the skill he holds in his art (compared to the music people my age listen to) as a top english and music student.
I have joined this forum firstly to show tell everyone that Leonard's music are still popular today and secondly to learn more about the 'Commander Cohen'.
I've only access to the oldest and newest albums( :( )but I'm easily able to quote any of those songs and can tell which song is which in the first 10 seconds of it. (Or any line of lyrics!)

It has now been six months since I have listened to anything but Leonard Cohen (With very occasional exceptions of REM, Ben Harper and Bob Dylan) so judging from the comments I've already read, I feel that I should fit in very nicely, despite the age difference between me and the rest of you!
Cate

Post by Cate »

Hi there, glad to meet you. Though there are fewer younger members here, our age rage is wide with Leonard being popular with both the university crowd as well as zoomers (older active folks). My own children are 12 and 14 and although I wouldn't say that they are fans yet, they do listen to his music and seem to enjoy song meaning discussions. A couple of years ago the three of us took a midnight bus to New York city to see him in concert - they would tell you missing school was the highlight but there was an awful lot of 'Leonard Cohen this' and 'Leonard Cohen that', talk going on afterwards.

Welcome, I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about the music you've had a chance to listen to.

... what haven't you hear yet? I bet we could hook you up.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

A very warm welcome from me, too, HorseCrazyClarinet [what a great name lol !]... I presume you love horses and play the clarinet?

We LOVE getting young people here... such an encouraging sign that is when the generations that follow us exhibit such great taste in music and poetry/writing. We also want Leonard's contribution to this world to last forever, with whatever forever will end up being... and it will certainly go long beyond his own years here. People like you are the assurance of that 8)

Yes, there's an English instructor/professor who recently joined who says she's looking forward to active discussions of Leonard's work. We haven't been doing that like we USED to... but I encourage you to go to all the different sections and enter in where you can! Don't be shy about expressing your thoughts. They are certainly welcome here.

~ Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
HorseCrazyClarinet

Post by HorseCrazyClarinet »

Cate, Thanks for such a friendly greeting!
The only album I'm not yet familiar with is 'Dear Heather' (I've found a collection of lyrics Dear Heather hidden in a cupboard so at least I know the words to that now!) I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only person my age that's here!

Thanks for the warm welcome Lizzie!
Yes, I do like horses and play the clarinet very crazily. I'm glad to see that I'm welcome here,

Thanks for your support,
HorseCrazyClarinet! :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

xxx HorseCrazyClarinet :)
~ Oscar Wilde
CaptainMantra

Post by CaptainMantra »

Hello everybody!!!

At last here.... We´ve meet with some of you already and for the rest....

Yeah It´s good to be here..It´s good to be anywhere.... We´ll see you in Viladrau!

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, HI, Captain Mantra!!! :) ~ Now, THAT is a magnificent entrance!!! 8)
See you in Viladrau... and WELCOME to HERE... and just as many changes are taking place. You will only have to learn the new!

~ Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
yvonj@btinternet.com

Post by yvonj@btinternet.com »

Discovered him through a friend a few months ago and wondered if there was any chance of seeing him live. Does anyone know how to research this and find out whether or not he will be doing another tour? Anywhere????
Yvon
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

No touring in the coming years , Yvon. :cry:
But a Leonard Cohen event next year http://www.LCeventAmsterdam.icantforget.nl

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It'll be clarified at the link, as well, but just so you know now, Leonard will not be attending the Event. You'll get to know a whole bunch of wonderful people who discovered Leonard many years ago, along with other people like you, who only recently discovered him. Well worth your time and money to attend :D .

And welcome to the Forum, Yvon :) ... you come here having made one of the greatest discoveries of all time 8) .

~ Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
Anthony K

Post by Anthony K »

Hello anyone

I'm nearing the end of the biography I'm Your Man and this site was mentioned so I thought I'd check it out. I was pleased to find a forum and when I went to sign up it already knew my name. My first memory of Leonard's music was in Natural Born Killers when my dad told me to pay attention to it in the opening sequence. At some point I realised the lyrics he constantly sang around the house about Jesus being a sailor was a Leonard Cohen song. By 2010 (I'm 24 now) I was going to Lenny regularly in troubling times. I can't say I understood many lyrics intellectually, and my favourite tracks are still mostly the more direct ones, but I felt his music and it affected me in a way no other artist had.

I saw him for the first time at Wembley Arena and heard 'Heart With No Companion' for the first time. It likely wasn't the first time at all but they way it was played, like the version on 'Songs from the Road', it was. I had paid £180 for two seats a few rows from the front and I can't really describe the experience. The man, the band, the Webb Sisters (!) When I got the chance to see him again in Birmingham, my hometown, I jumped at the chance even though the only seats left were essentially the exact opposite and I was no longer breaking the bank to buy them. It was amazing again but a totally diffrent experience in a positive way. I feel so fortunate to have been able to see Leonard live twice and, while of course I hope I can see him up close again, if that is it I am very happy. I also love Amsterdam, I've been three times already, so this meeting looks very interesting indeed.

I wasn't intending to write that much but I've just worked a night shift in a psychiatric hospital so I'm a bit delirious, sorry. My main interest is the psychology of Carl Jung and I study this part time. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do though. I have a strong urge to plan to write, a snappy title and a few people have said I should but I've been so into Jungian psychology that for the last year I haven't considered any careers besides psychotherapy and nursing. I'm really quite self-centered, though not very selfish, so both of those seem very daunting. I've really enjoyed reconnecting with Leonard through the book and it makes sense why I like him so much even if I hadn't felt the need to turn to him in a while...so much so I became a fan of Death of a Ladies Man!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's a sweet journey to get to Leonard [and us], Anthony! Welcome! That'd be great if you just jumped right in and came to Amsterdam and meet a bunch of people from the Forum! In your field of work, your interest in Leonard's work certainly has an additional layer. Thanks for sharing all that you did! I'm Your Man is wonderful... you'll likely go on to read a bunch of the other books on Leonard, as well :D Check out what Jim Devlin has written, too 8) .
~ Oscar Wilde
danishdog

Post by danishdog »

Hey, everyone! I’m from Scotland, born 1962. I met a Dane and moved to Denmark in 1986.

In my late teens I listened to a lot of Leonard Cohen, as well as Dire Straits and The Cure. On the beach of a Greek island one night in July 1981 I was enchanted by someone singing “Suzanne” on guitar. In the next few years I listened to a lot of Dylan, Roy Harper, et al. In May 1986 I purchased a guitar in Yugoslavia, and since then I’ve written a number of songs. People sometimes say they’re reminded of Leonard Cohen. I wrote a paper at university in Denmark where I compared the lyrics of Dylan and Cohen. I’ve performed “Suzanne” myself a few times recently. It sounded best in a church in Edinburgh in August 2012. I teach English, and in my free time I write poems/songs and play chess.

Duncan
https://gists.wordpress.com/
Cate

Post by Cate »

Welcome to the forum Duncan. Sounds like Cohen has been pretty entrenched in your life and perhaps your work (English Teacher).
Thanks for the link to your blog, I've enjoyed the poems that I have read so far there.
danishdog

Post by danishdog »

Thanks, Cate!

Pop lyrics are much more easily accessible than poems, and yet they are a good way in to appreciating poetry.

There are a number of songs on my blog too. I think my song "Way Up the Ladder of Love" is quite Cohenesque (at the end of https://gists.wordpress.com/2014/12/30/ ... -a-b-side/).

Duncan

Return to “Comments & Questions”