Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
MusicCityGypsy

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum...

Post by MusicCityGypsy »

Greetings-

I'm a new poster as well and didn't want to waste the space to create a new thread so I hope it's okay to just add a tail to Denise's introduction!

How my love affair with Leonard Cohen(s music) started

I am 25 years old and met a friend 3 years ago...he's now my boyfriend and he introduced me to Cohen and his poetry and his books and most of all his music. I often say I am so thankful that Aaron came into my life, if not to introduce me to such artists. Aaron is a musican himself and is great influenced by Cohen's songwriting and style...On our first date he made me a mix cd with lots of different music and of course Cohen was on there with famous blue raincoat, this is where my love affair with his music started. Aaron was in a horrible car accident last thanksgiving and through his recovery to learn how to walk again, I beleive he used the music and strength through Cohen's lyrics. (along with his Nintendo ha) Cohen's music will be present at our wedding one day, possibly his Tenneesee Waltz, considering we're live in Nashville.

Every once in a while I check back on the leonardcoenforum to see if any updates about the North America tour and always felt like it would never come, I even started feeling sick about it. Aaron, being a waiter and struggling musican/producer and me having a job and going to school at night...it didn't seem like we would ever be able to save enough money to go see him out of the country...but we have been trying to.

So I randomly checked yesterday and almost hyperventilated...while he's not coming to Nashville, Detroit is where my best friend resides...we're going to try to go see him there. If not there we'll go to Chicago.

We would love to get to know some of you before or after the show! So excited to be part of this forum, finally!

Anyone live in Nashville, or near here?

Cara
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

Hallo
Iam also new in this forum and i living in austria Vienna. This forum is so great to read and a many news from LC. Im also a Fan from LC.
I was 15 Years old and my eldest brother give me the LP songs from leonard cohen and from this moment i`m listen always his music and read the poems
from him. now 28 years agothe last year i find this forum and i was happy. I read all side evrey day.
thank you and the best wishes from vienna with many snow.
sheehand901

Post by sheehand901 »

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum as well. I have been listening to Leonard Cohen since my brother turned me on to his first album in 1970. Believe it or not, I have not seen him in concert before and will try to go this time around. I live in the Philly area. Does anyone know who will be selling tickets? Is it Live Nation or Ticketmaster? I am going for a single. Hopefully I'll see some of you there. Thanks for your help and GOOD LUCK to all with getting tickets.

Dan
Merganser

Post by Merganser »

I'm also new. I've been listening to Cohen since uh, 1995-ish? I forget exactly which year it was, but I was in college and a friend was making a mix-tape for his girlfriend (god, do the kids still do that?) and he included 'Everybody Knows'. That was the first song I heard, and I bought the second greatest hits album (which includes that song) shortly thereafter. Now I've got all his albums, and there you go.
littleblackbow

Greetings! New Member

Post by littleblackbow »

Hello!

I'm a new member here, and just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Minnesota, and have been a fan of Mr. Cohen since the 80's when I discovered his music. I'm really excited to meet other fans of Leonard Cohen, and talk about his music, and how it's affected you over the years.

As for me, I am hard pressed to choose a favorite album, but the one I listen to the most is probably Various Positions. (although I love Recent Songs - especially "Guests" and "Ballad of the Absent Mare."
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Welcome to all! Denise, IrishAl, MarieZee, Denise(Tashi), Addygirl, Don, Iris, Cara. Thank you all for sharing your great stories of how you discovered LC. I wish I had gotten to meet you at some point during the Beacon Festivities as now that I have reread these posts, some of you become clearer in my mind as to who you could have been (especially Denise in her purple and red boa :) -we did pass each other a few times at the VIP reception). Opportunity lost until hopefully some future concert or meet-up! Jarkko, please - name tags.
Best regards to all!
Mary
(P.S. Cara, I hope Aaron has recovered from his injuries and you two will be able to experience the ecstasy of attending an LC concert in the near future!)
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Re: Greetings! New Member

Post by MaryB »

Welcome to the Forum littleblackbow!

Living in Minnesota, any chance you will try to attend one of LC's concert in your area - Minneapolis perhaps?

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Laura Merrick

Post by Laura Merrick »

Greetings new member! I am also a new member, and have been a fan of Leonard Cohen's, hmmm, probably sometime in the 80s. Funny that I can't remember how it all started. I am extremely excited about the concert. I guess that I have been waiting my whole life for it.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Welcome new member Laura Merrick to this lovely place! Hope you also are able to attend the concert of your choice!
Best regards,
Mary
littleblackbow

Post by littleblackbow »

Hi! I'm new, too

I never know what to do or say on forums, and I'm terrible at introductions, but I am totally with you on the musical genius front. I can't think of anyone who has such a grasp on how music works to create a mood.

It's great to meet other people who are cohen fans!!!
littleblackbow

Post by littleblackbow »

MaryB wrote:Welcome to the Forum littleblackbow!

Living in Minnesota, any chance you will try to attend one of LC's concert in your area - Minneapolis perhaps?

Best regards,
Mary
I hope I can go to the conert in Minneapolis. I'll have to look and see when it is. I teach in the summers, so sometimes it's hard for me to get the night off.

It's great to find so many other active fans here! I've been sneaking him into mix cds for my friends for years, and most of the time, they're astonished that he wrote those songs!!

heh.

I'm sure if I can get to the concert, you will all hear about it!! ^_^
littleblackbow

Post by littleblackbow »

Laura Merrick wrote:Greetings new member! I am also a new member, and have been a fan of Leonard Cohen's, hmmm, probably sometime in the 80s. Funny that I can't remember how it all started. I am extremely excited about the concert. I guess that I have been waiting my whole life for it.

It's nice to meet you!

Yeah, I can't remember exactly how I discovered him. I think I got one of his albums from my father, and listened to it over and over again. 'cause I can remember setting up christmas lights in my bedroom when I was in high school while listening to his music. :P

Funny how those kinds of memories last, isn't it?
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

littleblackbow wrote:
I hope I can go to the conert in Minneapolis. I'll have to look and see when it is. I teach in the summers, so sometimes it's hard for me to get the night off.
Sunday, May 3 at the Orpheum. If you have never seen him perform live, trust me, that will take your appreciation of the man and his work to a whole new level. Not to be missed!

Best regards,
Mary
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

littleblackbow wrote:
I can remember setting up christmas lights in my bedroom when I was in high school while listening to his music. :P
Christmas - what a blessed, joyous time of the year to listen to LC. And some people think his music is all melancholia and depression :lol:

Best regards,
Mary
The Little Jew

Post by The Little Jew »

I am new to this forum, but I have been a fan of Leonard Cohen for more than 20 years now. I have never had the opportunity to see him in concert but that will change this year even if I have to be like Denise and spend $400.00 dollars per ticket.
I cannot think of another artist who has moved me the way Leonard Cohen has.

Return to “Comments & Questions”