Have to know... right?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Lizzy, Isadora Duncan, I enjoyed her bio a lot as a dancer (not me - her).

Hello Paula, yes, me too, beside baby boomer vision I had this other vision of coulor faded, distortioned images of all sorts, and full of hundred liltte holes skins. At the difference that I think silicone is getting obsolete also at a certain point. Well, in those years, nano-technology will solve all the problems, probably.

I don't care, I'm in between these generations, but if I had the choice I would have choose the hyppie generation. True that I'm thinking about very strange things. No matter I can not find a celebrity macht!
Last edited by Tchocolatl on Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: Paula ~ very funny! :lol:

Tchocolatl ~ Not to worry. Chances for success are much higher with a non-celeb, anyway! I have yet to check out the biorhythms with me and my former husband ~ my psychic powers may come into play on that one :wink: .
Jo

Post by Jo »

Speak for yourselves dearies - I won't be in a wheelchair - I'll be embarrassing my children with a pirate toy-boy on a Harley Davidson, wearing something tight :lol: with mauve hair streaming in the wind and a ghetto-blaster belting out a bit of Coltrane, Mingus, Mozart, Beethoven and Leonard Cohen. I'm terrified of anything on 2 wheels, but that's my ambition - I can dream, can't I? :D (oh - and let me not forget the bottle of syrup (muffins optional) clutched tightly in one sticky hand :wink: ) while the esteemed espouse brandishes his walking stick in horror.

Jo
"... to make a pale imitation of reality with twenty-six juggled letters"
"... all words are lies because they can only represent one of many levels of being"
Sober noises of morning in a marginal land.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Aha! Into Mingus now, I see ~ good sign :D ! You ol' Sinner Lady, you! Yes and, in fact, I'm surprized I accepted that wheelchair fate! Perhaps I oughta envision myself elsewise. You know the power of visualization!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

But who was talking about wheelchairs?
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Iubita

Post by Iubita »

I've really have been impressed by the things that Lizzytysh has told us about the life during "Sixties"...I don't really know too much about this years...I've just had an opportunity to see somethimes a little bit on a TV and also from some books I had some impression about this time, but always I wanted to know more about ...thanks, Elizabeth for giving us the taste, the fragrance of this Time...and everything is coming from some natural source - your very good emotional memory...
the same feeling I've had when I've first read the Leonard's words about his room...I've felt as I am there inside and I've smelt the oils, candles, touching this very beautiful pictures ...and despite of my very bad match with him on an emotional level, He's always amazed me with His emotional memory... :D :)
so, thank to both of you the Time of Sixties has came back to all of us...may be there are some people on this Board who even weren't born at that time...but I believe we should do that from time to time... turning back in Time and even to different places of the world and exchanging memories and feelings...and doing that not because when you are getting older you are trying to get back just to keep yourself younger, but because this is the way for us to getting rich...emotionaly rich...
otherwise, when I am thinking about myself in some next years I don't really like this image of weelchair...I hope, God won't give me this as a final...but who knows?...always we are going through the experience that we don't like at all or too much and very rare we have the desirable one...

Iubita
Love, Light
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Perhaps you weren't, Tchocolatl :D .......when you said whirlchairs, I envisioned wheelchairs spinning. Should that be my fate, I shall hope to spin. I've seen wheelchaired people dance in such fashion, and so shall I :D ~ should I find myself seated :) .
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Iubita ~

I appreciate all you've said. What you say reminds me that much of what some take for granted is all but unknown to others. The other day, while telling my supervisor about Judy Collins's impact in Leonard's life, she said, "I don't know who Judy Collins is." A given in my life. An unknown in hers. Seeing Leonard's photo on The Essential, she commented, "He looks like a young Dustin Hoffman" [so some things overlap ~ and some things never change :lol: ].

There's soooo much more to be described of the Sixties. If you've enjoyed my brief accounting, I know you'd love that of others, as well. That era lent itself well to description :D . Very colourful, vibrant, and alive. Much of it, anyway. Of course, as in all things, it had its dark side, as well.

I agree with you on the value of sharing our emotional memories :) , from whenever and wherever we come.

Love, Elizabeth
margaret

Post by margaret »

My memories of the sixties are a bit limited as I was in my teens most of that era and my parents were quite strict and protective as I was the eldest of 3 daughters. I do remember the fashions, very short mini skirts, Mary Quant clothes and hairstyles and make up which I indulged in. I remember wearing 12 inch long mini skirts, my favourite was patchwork leather and suede, and going to the original Cavern club in Liverpool. A neighbour's daughter who was a few years older than me once went out with Paul McCartney, and a member of another group The Swinging Blue Jeans lived in our road. The music and club scene was thriving.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Iubita you expressed better than I what are my exact feelings about people who share life histories and feelings of all sorts (even if in this case a specific time and atmosphere was targeted).

Lizzy, exactly. I was only thinking of these people not
needing the object but including it in their creativity to express a very specific feeling. Post-modern dance or whatever they would have call the performance.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
witty_owl

Post by witty_owl »

Incense, candles, patchouli oil, ponchos, psychedelic posters & black lights. The stench of ganga smoke wafting from every room in a shared house. Mattresses on the floor and cut down tables in the centre of the living room littered with bongs, ash trays, cigarette papers, green dregs, scraps of alfoil and books by Timothy Leary and Alan Watts. Moody Blues on the hi fi at high volume and dazed long hairs wandering in out of the rooms and consciousness. These are some of the memories of the early 70's. Going back to high school years in the 60's - Roger Daltry and the Who, John Lennon and the Beatles. The Stones, Vanilla Fudge, Procol Harem, John Mayall, Bob Dylan, Cream, The Animals, The Yardbirds, Them, Simon and Garfunkel (and The Graduate) and of course Leonard Cohen's songs. Personally I do not recall love potions (except No.9 :lol: ) but we did sing about getting our mojo workin'.
Memories of those decades are rather hazy and jumbled. The divisive impact of the Vietnam war issue. The gradual politicisation of songwriting and the ultimate hollow anarchic revolution urged by writers and the hard rock and acid rock bands. Are we now all "doing what we are told"? Whatever happened to the revolution? The peace chants and the "turn on, tune in and drop out" mantras. :o 1984 came and went with a whimper not a bang and big brother is a z grade 'reality' TV series! :shock: As I take care of my ailing parents and face up to my own mortality I wonder where did my youth go? - so rapidly! A quote from Tom Wolf (I think) goes something like; "man's youth is a wondrous thing and he never knows what it really is until it has gone from him forever." :(
Who were our saints in the latter 20th C And where does our spirituality now stand? If one has discarded the notion of relevence with respect to traditional religions and the church and the state? The arts have been my cornerstone for morality and all mythologies have their place in the scheme of things for glimpses into understanding beyond thought. Our political and religious leaders have failed to lift our game as did the hippies(though they did give it a good try). I cannot help but wonder where we are headed as we stumble into the 21st century with all our rhetoric on terrorism and the environment. :roll: [21st century schizoid man?] It all seemed so straight forward as we rolled on through the 70's but technology has usurped our ideals and aspirations. Glamour has seduced our vision and fear has possibly rendered us impotent.

I await signs of the promised golden age. What are we doing? What are our youth doing?

Cheers, Witty Owl.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Excellent commentary, Witty Owl. The only comment I would add is that 1984, indeed, came and went with a whimper; however, Big Brother slid behind the door, and remains ~ way more than a z-or-any-other-grade, 'reality' TV series ~ at least over here :( .

"Incense" through "These are some of the memories of the early 70's" is a right-on description of some of the environments, where I whiled away some hours :D . To use a perfectly respectable" Sixties term, WOW, does that bring back some memories :D ! I love John Mayall and would love to hear Sugar Cane Harris ["USA Union"] in a song with Leonard.

~ Lizzytysh

Tchocolatl ~ Yes, I get your image now :D [though wheelchairs are by no means the worst fate possible :) ]. Thanks!
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Hello witty.

We seem to be experiencing lives where quality of anything is not to be paramount in a world where 'Presentation is All.'

I'm an old sceptic now, but my youngest gave me an apt modern mantra to remember in my daily journey. "What the large print giveth, the small print, taketh away". :(
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Byron ~

Your son's mantra gift is funny,sad,true :cry: .

Hi Margaret ~ I remember those skirts! The length and the block pattern :D .

~ Lizzytysh
Paula

Post by Paula »

Witty Owl I was pleased to see the bulk of your music of choice were British bands. I am sorry we have inflicted Craig David on the USA but David Gray is a British export I think you will like.

Return to “Comments & Questions”