Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by carlowmike »

by musicmania » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:11 pm
Hi Mick. Although I did not know John I do know how devastated you have been since his passing. Thank you for sharing this with us here today. It was a very sad ending for someone obviously so well loved and respected.
Thank you musicmania,
unfortunately when one survives to the "third act" it may be necessary to become accustomed to having friends take their final bows.
If they are younger than us it becomes a little more difficult to accept that we may never meet or greet them again,
the absence of their presence is felt for the remainder of what time is left.
I believe Leonard covered this scene very well in "Tower of Song".
But new friends appear and that keeps us focused and moving forward.
"One by one the lights go out
And one by one we fade away,
But other lights are on the hills,
And other singers have their day."~~~~~~~~
by jeney » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 am
I have attended Dr Eithne at the surgery in Maynooth, met John in passing a few times. He was highly regarded by the people up here. Mick is it true that John once put Leonard's name on a prescription ?
Indeed he did Jeney, but that may be a sensitive matter at this early stage ;-) .
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
mutti

Post by mutti »

Hey Mick
just back from India and saw this...I know what you mean about losing friends...I am sorry about your loss.
Sounds like he was a wonderful man.
Much love
Les
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

I think the quotation you supplied, Mick, sums up the reality of it all. Who is the author?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

by jdhayes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:34 am
I think the quotation you supplied, Mick, sums up the reality of it all. Who is the author?
the quote is from a poem by W. A. Byrne a former student at Knockbeg College,
unfortunately with the passage of time it springs to mind more often.
I notice that we have got a bit laxadalsical regarding a "Cohenite re-union",
it may be that Leonard himself will be back in Ireland before we organise something ;-) ...
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

carlowmike wrote:it may be that Leonard himself will be back in Ireland before we organise something ;-) ...[/color]

Do you know something we don't? :)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Oh Mick! You DO have a way of tantalizing people!! Must be the promoter background ;-)

I will be all eyes and ears! :)

Diana
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

Irish Times, 11th February 2011.
Lissadell owners to appeal the ruling of High Court.
THE OWNERS of Lissadell House in Sligo, who could face legal costs running into millions of euro, are hoping for an early hearing of their appeal to the Supreme Court. They are appealing the High Court’s rejection of their claim that no public rights of way exist across certain routes in the historic estate, it was stated yesterday.
Costs of the case, which could be as high as €6 million, were yesterday awarded to Sligo County Council against the owners, barristers Constance Cassidy and Edward Walsh.
The court was told the council had made several attempts in correspondence with the couple to resolve the litigation which, its barrister said, it could not afford.
Mr Justice Bryan McMahon has put a stay on the costs order on the basis that the couple’s lawyers will seek an expedited hearing of their appeal to the Supreme Court.
Brian Murray SC, for the couple, said although it was taking up to three years for the Supreme Court to hear appeals, he hoped this one could be heard within a year, not because the owners wanted it heard as soon as possible but also because it was a matter that related to rights of way “throughout the country generally”.
The couple had claimed four routes through the 410-acre estate were not subject to any public rights of way but the judge upheld the council’s arguments that they were. When the case came back before the judge yesterday, he awarded the council the full costs of the case.
Mr Murray sought a stay on the costs order but John Rogers SC, for the council, opposed a stay given the history of the case.
Counsel referred to correspondence between the parties last year in which the council sought a resolution of the matter to avoid high legal costs. This included a written offer from the council to the owners to settle on the basis of their acknowledgment that the “sea route” through the estate was a public right of way, counsel said.
The councillors themselves had also asked the manager to enter into discussions with the owners after the litigation started and this showed a willingness on the defendant’s side to try to resolve the case, counsel said.
The case had caused “enormous costs” for the council which provides public services with limited and diminishing resources, Mr Rogers said.
It had been highlighted to the owners, in the correspondence, that the council did not want litigation “and in effect could not afford it”. In the event of an appeal, the council would have to bear costs already incurred in defending this matter and of the counterclaim against the owners.
Mr Rogers said the judge should also take into account that the case had “ballooned” after assertions were made of some type of collusion or conspiracy between council officials and locals. The judge had found no substance to that claim, counsel said.
Mr Murray, for the owners, said his clients were of the view there were no rights of way and had exercised their constitutional right to litigate the matter.
Mr Justice McMahon said it was a very unusual case and on balance he would grant a stay on the basis that the owners would seek an expedited hearing from the Supreme Court.
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Any news yet of a release date for the new CD? Will it be launched at the first concert in Ireland? Questions, questions, ...
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

by jdhayes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:42 pm
Any news yet of a release date for the new CD? Will it be launched at the first concert in Ireland? Questions, questions, ...
A list for 2011 proposed tours reads something like this ...
Kings of Leon----James Taylor-----Neil Young----Elton John----Fleetwood Mac-----Miley Cyrus ----Justin Timberlake----Eric Clapton----Bob Seger----Neil Diamond----Madonna----Guns N' Roses---Rolling Stones ----Billy Joel----Dolly Parton----The Killers----Prince :?: ----Take That----REM----Phil Collins----Rufus Wainwright----The Who.
Bob is not mentioned here although he seems to have done Ireland several times a year for the last 50 years :!: ;-)
nor is Leonard listed ...but he was not mentioned this time last year either and we all know what happened next :idea: ;-)(otherwise it's a long wait till April 2012)~~~

It was hinted that Simon and Garfunkel were approached to do Lissadell this year but I think previous posts on this thread rule that out ;-).
real-alan

Post by real-alan »

carlowmike wrote:...It was hinted that Simon and Garfunkel were approached to do Lissadell this year but I think previous posts on this thread rule that out ;-)
Shame... Mrs Real-Alan would have loved that, just down the road.... meself, I wouldn't be too fussed.... ;-)
you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Is there any hope for a Thomond Park venue? Imagine the Munster crowd! Any news of an Easter meet yet?
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Had Simon and Garfunkel played Lissadell I'd have being there in an instant! Love their music and have seen them in concert before and it was amazing. I've also seen them on solo tours as well.
Of the list you post Mick I'm going to Kings of Leon (ticket was an xmas pressie), Eric Clapton and Take That. Should Billy Joel and Phil Collins be confirmed I will go to them too. Seen them before and love them both. I've yet to see Neil Young in concert and will try to go should he be announced. Would like to go to James Taylor too but finances are stretched at the minute. Of course if it was Leonard I'd figure a way around that obstacle somehow!! Surprised to see Prince on that list after what happened the last time he was due to play here!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
real-alan

Post by real-alan »

musicmania wrote:Had Simon and Garfunkel played Lissadell I'd have being there in an instant! Love their music and have seen them in concert before and it was amazing. I've also seen them on solo tours as well.
Of the list you post Mick I'm going to Kings of Leon (ticket was an xmas pressie), Eric Clapton and Take That. Should Billy Joel and Phil Collins be confirmed I will go to them too. Seen them before and love them both. I've yet to see Neil Young in concert and will try to go should he be announced. Would like to go to James Taylor too but finances are stretched at the minute. Of course if it was Leonard I'd figure a way around that obstacle somehow!! Surprised to see Prince on that list after what happened the last time he was due to play here!
Sorry, hadn't realised Mick was banging out free tickets! Put me down for Neil Young & Kings of Leon please (2 for each) ;-)
you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

musicmania wrote: Of the list you post Mick I'm going to Kings of Leon (ticket was an xmas pressie), Eric Clapton and Take That. Should Billy Joel and Phil Collins be confirmed I will go to them too. Seen them before and love them both. I've yet to see Neil Young in concert and will try to go should he be announced. Would like to go to James Taylor too but finances are stretched at the minute. Of course if it was Leonard I'd figure a way around that obstacle somehow!! Surprised to see Prince on that list after what happened the last time he was due to play here!
I forgot to add one of today's great performing artists, Paolo Nutini :!: (Oxegan, July+Dublin).
there is a "large" :?: after Prince on that list :?: .
Like Leonard , Neil continues to get better and better
check his latest , just him and his "old Hank Williams guitar"
;-) ;-) :
Neil Young - Love And War (Video)
6 min - 20 Sep 2010
Uploaded by neilyoungchannel
youtube.com;-)
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

"Does anyone know if this whole thread can be downloaded as a unit so that we can have it to look back on in later years?If yes maybe you could let me know how to go about it.
Many thanks."
The same message was posted on the Sligo Report thread. I thought it would be great to have these two threads stored somewhere.:D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”