UHTC Crew Appreciation Project, Las Vegas, December 10 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
brightnow

UHTC Crew Appreciation Project, Las Vegas, December 10 2010

Post by brightnow »

A few months ago with the end of the world tour looming, I decided to start a neat little project. The idea was to start an ‘all inclusive’ project to say thank you to the UHTC crew for taking such good care of Leonard and the band at the end of the world tour in Las Vegas. After consulting with Jarkko, I launched the project’s web site and was immediately joined by leonardmtl and kaimak. Leonardmtl took on the task of coordinating with tour management, and kaimik agreed to watch over the donations and ensure financial transparency.

We wanted to keep the whole thing a surprise for the crew, so posting in the forum was not an option. At the same time we wanted to invite as many people as possible - enter lizzytysh: lizzy was our “discrete publicity engine” and sent hundreds of private messages to spread the word.

My initial goal was to create a personalized card for each member of the crew, but it soon became clear we had enough donations and volunteers to do more. We spent a few days brainstorming ideas while more professionals from the forum volunteered their skills: imaginary friend (graphics design) and somewhat_nifty (copy editor). The growing group then voted on the top ideas and decided to create a personalized engraved glass plaque for each crew member.

We toyed with the idea of creating a photo album from the tour, but finding photos and getting permission to use them proved more difficult than we realized, so in the end, we scrapped the idea. Next came a great idea from Bridger15 who asked to “adopt” her favorite crew member. We took this idea a step further and invited everyone to adopt a crew member and write a personal letter to them. Maarten, our name tag master suggested that we make name tags and bracelets for the crew as well.

All the while, support from more and more forum members continued to pour in, we had all the help we could ask for and more than $2,000 USD in donations. At this point Jarkko stepped in and asked that we produce gifts for the band as well. Jarkko helped us revive the photo book idea and enabled us to gain access to a rich library of fan photos. We joined forces with MarieM’s group card project, and scubasam started creating the photo albums.

What followed was an intense period of working with manufacturers, designing, editing, ordering, shipping, printing, re-printing, checking, double-checking, packing and shipping again. When we started running against tight shipping deadlines, grannypoe agreed to accept shipments at her home in Las Vegas which bought us precious time.

When we arrived in Las Vegas on December 7 I had a whole suitcase full of project items. The rest of the items were delivered the next day, some by UPS, some by grannypoe. We had the glass plaques, personal letters, photo albums, printed cotton gift bags, and Maarten was bringing over the name tags and bracelets.

Friday, December 10 was our big day and I spent the morning in the lobby of my hotel meeting everyone who came over to sign their letters to the crew. Some just came to see the items and chat, which was wonderful. Then we moved everything to Caesar’s where MarieM graciously volunteered her room to be our staging area, The group cards for the performers were already there and a few minutes after 2:00pm kaimik, MarieM, scubasam and I started readying the gifts for the band and crew.

A few minutes after 3:00pm, as kaimik was stuffing the last item into the last bag my phone rang; it was Marilyn Ambach from the tour production. “Come over to the Colosseum right now please, the crew is ready for you” she said. We loaded everything onto a hotel bell cart as quickly as we could and rushed downstairs where a surprised and grateful group of crew members accepted the gifts: http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/217 ... he-leonard
Excited (and relieved) we went back to our rooms to get ready for the concert.

The project was a smashing success and I want to thank every single person who participated. Without your support, your enthusiasm and your participation, it would not have been possible to pull off such a unique and momentous ‘thank you’ to the crew and band.
Here’s a complete list of all donors and volunteers: http://weloveuhtc.files.wordpress.com/2 ... nteers.pdf
The project's website (now inactive): http://weloveuhtc.wordpress.com

Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
brightnow

Re: UHTC Crew Appreciation Project, Las Vegas, December 10 2

Post by brightnow »

Reactions to the project:

Hattie Webb said: “I love the photo album, I can’t wait to go home for Christmas, sit by the fire and look through it again”.

Dino Soldo said: “I started leafing through the book and had to put it away after a few minutes because I can’t cry before a performance”.

Rafael Gayol said: “Just to get that acknowledgment meant so much to me”.

Sharon Robinson said: “The bag I received looks very nice, but Dino and Rafael warned me not to open it before the performance because it would make me cry”.

A close relative of Roscoe Beck’s said: “Roscoe was really touched by the gift, he was blown away when he found the engraved glass”.

Comments posted to the project’s web site by members of the crew:
Marilyn Ambach wrote:Thank you to all the devoted people contributing to this project. We’re surprised, honored and thankful for your kind attention.
Lorca Cohen wrote:Everyone is terribly grateful for your thoughtful, kind and generous gifts. Thank you so much.
Katie Flanders wrote:Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts and the efforts involved in this!
It has been amazing your dedication in following Leonard, and a huge honour for all of us behind the scenes to have had you all think of us. We’re pleased to have been able to add to your whole Leonard experience!
And thank you for the amazing personalised gifts too :)
Leif B wrote:Just wanted to say a very big thank you for the gifts, the kind words, all of it. Wasn’t expecting any of this attention, it’s pretty cool of you all. Especially Szilvia!
Without your devotion to Leonard’s work, we wouldn’t have the life we have. We appreciate the attendance to the shows and keeping us in diapers!
Big thanks again,
Leif
Dan Weingartner wrote:Thank you so much for the wonderful gesture and your acknowledgement of our efforts. Hopefully we’ll be back on the road someday soon and see you all again.
Mickey Sullivan wrote:Hi everyone, Thanks for all your kind words and the support you have given to all of us. Thanks also to Arlene for all your hard work, the gifts you took the time to put together will be with me forever. Thank you all, hope to be on the road in the near future. Thanks again MickeyX
Martin Paré wrote:Wow!
After 10 years of touring, i never receive any thing like this. It was a privilege to work for Leonard and give you all our best work every day for you guys!
Thanks again for the personalized gift, i’m really touched!
Martin
Ryan Patrick Murphy wrote:Thank you so much everyone for the most thoughtful gifts!! We had such a great time working on this tour and we hope it showed. Leonard has given us all something wonderful and I’m touched at what you all have done for us.
Thank you thank you!!
RPM
Mark Vreeken wrote:Thank you very much to everyone that put this incredibly thoughtful gift package together! The personal note was totally unexpected, very generous and kind. Just as the tour exceeded every expectation for me so has the appreciation from you.

Thanks for the great memories and all the best in the New Year!

Mark
Last edited by brightnow on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
abby

Re: UHTC Crew Appreciation Project, Las Vegas, December 10 2010

Post by abby »

Thank you so much, Avi, for all of it. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife- both of you so very kind and warm. I'm honored to have had a little part in this project and am so glad to see Martin Pare's comment- he's the member of the crew I adopted.
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Yes, a thousand thanks, Avi and Samantha!
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Dear Avi and Samantha,

Many many thanks to both of you, and to all who contributed so much of their time, talent, and sweat to this special project! The gifts were so beautiful and it's thrilling to read comments from the recipients.....we can sense how deeply this gesture touched them!

Thanks again, and it was wonderful to meet you both in Las Vegas, finally!! Love your kids!

All the best,
Diana
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

A beautiful summary Avi - thank you! Being part of this was so special. I will never forget that intense hour of assembling those gift bags - surreal in many ways! You brought your idea to fruition beautifully and I am honored to have played a small role. Thank you to everyone who participated!
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thank you to all; Avi, Samantha, leonard, Kelsey, Sheila, Lizzy, Ruth, Arlene, Pat, Marie, Maarten, Jarkko!!!!

Through your summary, Avi, we are able to see just the tiniest fraction of all the hard work (there is always so much more work involved than what we see on the surface) and planning that went into bringing this so very creative and special project to fruition. Your patience with some of us stragglers in signing the adopt-a-crew letters and all around is truly greatly appreciated.

Thank you all again from the bottom of my heart.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Avi, Samantha, and everyone else involved with this project, thank you so much for doing this. All of the gifts were incredibly
well done and the project was done in such a classy manner.
I was so pleased to read the comments from the crew and band. They seemed genuinely
touched. You all make me feel proud to be a part of this forum.

Sincerely,

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

So beautifully done ! A tangible show of appreciation !

You all deserve a loud round of applause from this audience !

It was great fun being a small part of it.......Thank you........jeanne
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Avi and Samantha and everyone else that worked on the Crew Project.
A heartfelt project well done and I am proud to have played a small part in it.
Thanks for posting the letters the crew has been sending. Is there somewhere we can see their comments
and emails?
I was happy to have 2 crew members to write a letter to and they both wrote how touched they are
which you posted and that is what it all was about.
Thank you again!
Leslie/Mutti 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

mutti wrote:Thank you Avi and Samantha and everyone else that worked on the Crew Project.
A heartfelt project well done and I am proud to have played a small part in it.
Thanks for posting the letters the crew has been sending. Is there somewhere we can see their comments
and emails?
I was happy to have 2 crew members to write a letter to and they both wrote how touched they are
which you posted and that is what it all was about.
Thank you again!
Leslie/Mutti 8)
Leslie,

The comments from the crew were originally posted here: http://weloveuhtc.wordpress.com/uhtc/. Safe travels! Glad than I ran into you. :)
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Avi for the quick reply! Those responses are so touching
Great running into you and hoping for many more occasions!
thanks for your kind wishes...
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

And I thank you, I thank you for doing your duty,
you keepers of truth, you guardians of beauty.
Your vision is right...
Avi, you had a vision to express appreciatiion to the crew, the usually unsung, unseen heroes behind the success of any touring comapny.

And you implemented a plan, yes with many capable voluteers, but your vision is right.

Yasher Koach.

I posted my personal letter to Mickey Sullivan on my LC Scrapbook
http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com/

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I'd like to add my thanks here too Avi and Sam. As I said when I met you ye have done a wonderful job and I was honoured to have my photography included. I'm also very grateful ye made it possible for me to purchase a photobook. It will be a treasured item. Just to add Hattie also told me how grateful she was to receive this. I'm so glad you saw the vision for this Avi. It was a wonderful idea and one you should be very proud of.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
scubasam

Post by scubasam »

I wanted to add how proud I am of you Avi, for coming up with such a beautifully unique idea that did not focus on the performers, but rather those 'unsung heroes' who are so often forgotten and never thanked.

Not only did you dream a dream, but you invited all to partake in that dream, and as a result, we saw your dream come to fruition in such an inclusive and positive light. Your dream touched the lives of the very people who took such good care of Leonard and the band throughout the tour.

You did something really wonderful and once again proved to me how lucky I am to have you in my life.

Ok, I won't embarrass you anymore here, but thank you for loving me the way you do. :D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”