CONCERT REPORTS: Las Vegas, Nevada, December 10 & 11, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
luke79

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Las Vegas, Nevada, December 10 & 11, 2010

Post by luke79 »

Am I right about the second night?

12-10-2010-Las Vegas, NV Caesars Palace-The Colosseum
1. Dance Me to the End of Love
2. The Future
3. There Ain't No Cure for Love
4. Bird on the Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire
8. The Darkness
9. Democracy
10. Chelsea Hotel #2
11. Waiting for the Miracle

1. Ring the Bells
2. Tower of Song
3. Suzanne
4. A Singer Must Die
5. The Sisters of Mercy
6. The Gypsy's Wife
7. The Partisan
8. Boogie Street
9. Hallelujah
10. I'm Your Man
11. A Thousand Kisses Deep
12. Take this Waltz

1. So Long Marianne
2. First We Take Manhattan
3. Famous Blue Raincoat
4. If It Be Your Will
5. Closing Time
6. I Tried To Leave You

12-11-2010-Las Vegas, NV Caesars Palace-The Colosseum

1. Dance Me to the End of Love
2. The Future
3. There Ain't No Cure for Love
4. Bird on the Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire
8. The Darkness
9. Born In Chains
10. Democracy
11. Chelsea Hotel #2
11. Waiting for the Miracle

1. Ring the Bells
2. Tower of Song
3. Suzanne
4. A Singer Must Die
5. The Sisters of Mercy
6. The Gypsy's Wife
7. The Partisan
8. Boogie Street
9. Hallelujah
10. I'm Your Man
11. A Thousand Kisses Deep
12. Take this Waltz

1. So Long Marianne
2. First We Take Manhattan
3. Famous Blue Raincoat
4. If It Be Your Will
5. Closing Time
6. I Tried To Leave You
alb123

Post by alb123 »

I was blessed to be in attendance last night for the final show of Leonard's momentous world tour. Sitting up in the 1st Mezzanine section, I was fortunate to be sitting right next to a very kind couple - the wife is a huge Leonard Cohen fan and member here at the forum. Sadly, I have forgotten her user name. I told her mine was "alb123". She told me that she had seen Leonard perform live around 1971 or so - approximately around the time of the famous Isle of Wight show. Meeting such a kind couple was a fantastic way to start the evening. My girlfriend wasn't able to attend - she was obligated to be back in Massachusetts for her companies annual Christmas Party. Thankfully, she was much more than understanding in my desire to be at this particular concert.

First off, I saw Leonard play at "The Palace" in Waterbury, CT during the 2009 leg of this 3-year odyssey. To say that I was a bit displeased with that show would probably be an understatement. I posted once on this forum, after that show, that I was extremely displeased with the acoustics of that venue. From where I was seated, there was an ever-present echo - the sound was very muddy. Being my first Leonard Cohen concert - I was sad based solely on acoustics.

Last night at Caesar's Palace made up for that experience ten-fold! I couldn't imagine a better place to hear Leonard and his fantastic band perform these timeless classics. I'm not even sure how to accurately describe how brilliantly they played our beloved songs. Sure, they had the benefit of three years worth of "rehearsals" behind them, but there seemed to be an excitement in their playing & singing - a power - that I have not seen in any of the hundreds of bootleg videos I've watched from various shows on YouTube. It was perfection.

There must be a sense of relief for the band. I can't imagine the level of exhaustion that accompanies a three year world tour. Last night, however, the band showed no signs of it while they played with pure passion.

I am honored to have been in attendance for Leonard's concluding concert of this tour. I know it technically doesn't make it any more important than show #235 or show #106 - but considering Leonard's age, we might not have this opportunity again. The honor comes in knowing I was there when Leonard took what may be his final bow...his final curtain call. These are memories that will live with me forever.

For all of us who made it to any of the shows during this world tour - we are blessed. There will never be another Leonard Cohen. He has touched all of our perfect bodies with his mind...

-ALB123
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by "Shabi8" - Thanks

From last show - 12/11/10

"Hallelujah" - from afar - but I'm not complaining :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6I6_gdjGLs
gallina

Post by gallina »

Wow, 62 posts!! I am already in Chicago, my flight was cancelled, hopefully going home tomorrow via Amsterdam. I am now in a hotel provided by united airlines. I cant t decide if it is good or not. Good because I can hopefuly sleep in bed and not in an airplain after tree beautiful busy days. Bad because I am still in my journey and nothing is promised for tomorrow...

Hope you were or will be luckier as me and everybody get home safely.

the concerts were fantastic (this word is too poor to describe that athosphere). The first one happy, funny, with much laugh and dance, the second one with many tears (I speak by myself, but I think I was not the only one).

Las Vegas is a strange place as Leonard brilliantly said, but we went there just for him, so I dont mind what is it like...

Forum people was really really powerful I think many people wanted to belong to our big family. Thank you everyone for everything!!!! Thats all what I could write down in my present condition :lol:
Later I try to write more ;-)

(P.S: dear Jeanne, Ciaran, Bob: I am hungry and sleepy again. Forgive me my weakness :lol: )
Last edited by gallina on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
zenon5

It was an absolute lovefest!

Post by zenon5 »

Leonard and the band truly gave their all Saturday night. The level of emotion was amazing, and it was flowing from Leonard to the crowd and back onto the stage again and again. I think that for me the rendition of "Bird on a Wire" was the most moving song; how nice to know that so many others responded strongly to different portions of the concert.
We all have our own reasons for Leonard's particular hold on our hearts, minds, and emotions. One of mine is that I had the opportunity to play "Passing Through" to my future wife when she had never heard his music before. That was in 1975, and she was 15 years old. Leonard has sort of provided the soundtrack for our relationship ever since. This tour has been so meaningful for us. We made 7 concerts, each memorable in their own way. Still, Saturday night will be the one we always remember!
When I heard what the crowd was singing I just had to make a recording. The video is horrible, the sound is pathetic, but the depth of feeling overcomes any shortcomings. For him to come out on stage and sing a line himself before launching into "Tower of Song" just sort of underscores the beauty of the evening....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQa01ISZRI

Zenon5
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks for the video zenon5!!

Uploaded by "rinibutler" - Thanks!

From 12/11/2010

"Famous Blue Raincoat"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOHwddWbQRI
zenon5

So bittersweet!

Post by zenon5 »

I apologize for the poor quality and my noisy enthusiasm, but I thought some of you might want to see the final moments on stage Saturday night. It's over, but it will live on for so many of us. Thank you Leonard, band members, and all who participated in making this the incredible experience it's been for us all!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP1nAr1m5bw
anthonyreno

Rebecca De Mornay at Saturday concert

Post by anthonyreno »

I saw Rebecca de Mornay at the Saturday concert December 11 during intermission. She was wearing black leather pants and an embroidered jacket and was ordering a drink at the bar. She got her drink and started to walk away when another woman tapped her on the shoulder and asked her if she was Rebecca. De Mornay said “yes” and the woman asked again “really you are Rebecca De Mornay?” De Mornay said “the last time I checked.” The woman introduced herself and I believe she said she was from the CBC. De Mornay was patient as the woman asked her where she was sitting. She replied “in there somewhere” as she pointed to the entrance. The woman then asked “does he know you’re here" and Rebecca replied “yes.” She shook the woman’s hand and turned and walked away. She was absolutely beautiful. Did anyone else see her or did I imagine all of this?
TineDoes

Post by TineDoes »

No words
Attachments
Long stem roses
Long stem roses
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

Hope they can all have a well deserved break and relax!

As much as I would like to go to more concerts...but looking forward to a new studio album with all the trialled songs on it.
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

Timedoes

As I saw the roses,one of which I placed there myself, all my words began to swim in tears.

As the lights dimmed: the doors closed, the outside unbearable noise gone, I (we) entered a

place, that if it exists, I would call heaven..................jeanne
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

Gallina
And as I left for the home bound plane, I was finally abe to eat !

The pain of this ending, only temporary , I pray,

Talk about it all, when I can gather all the magic of this wekend and ( to quote a friend ) make proper sense of it.

Jeanne
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

To anyone interested....I have opened a new top topic ( I think ) on the World Tour 2010.
After Las Vegas - Words for Leonard

I am so truly grateful to all you wonderful people that give us your time and abilities with videos and pictures. You bring us there ( and back ) in an amazing way.

I just thought, a quite spot, where we can just talk about all that you have shown us and all that we feel: for those of us who have been there and those not: might be welcomed, as a garland of words in a garden of pictures...................jeanne
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Arrived to a very snowy, icy, and cold Michigan last night, but my heart is still on fire after the last few days. Watching zenon5's video of Passing Through....the final moments following I Tried to Leave You....and then the photo of the roses, have started the tears flowing. All things come to an end. My mind has accepted this, but it hasn't reached my heart yet.

I'm not going to attempt comments on individual songs as each one touches us differently, and others can word their feelings so much better than I can. For me, it was the totality that was overwhelming! The first concert was powerful....each musician and Leonard was giving 110% and enjoying it...so many many smiles!! The last concert was even moreso, and now it was time for us to show our love and thanks, and this was done in many many different ways, not only at the concert, but through the individual "thank you cards" to Leonard and all the band (a deep thank you to MarieM and Grace)....the "crew appreciation" letters and gifts (a similar thank you to Avi and all who participated in the project)...and many personal offerings of gifts.

How thrilling it was to see many familiar faces and putting faces to names I've known! At one point I mentioned it seemed like a high school reunion and we were all fueled by our love for Leonard and the UHTC! So many of you I wanted to spend more time with, but it all went far too quickly and suddenly that magical moment was over and all of us, including Leonard, the band, and the crew were heading home.

Many thanks to Jarkko, Marie, Maarten, and all who gave of themselves so that we could be participants in this final outpouring of love to Leonard!

Hopefully (god-willing), we may meet again somewhere down the road.....
Diana
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

zenon5, sturgess66 guys ! you are fantastic ! :D
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always

Return to “The World Tour 2010”