CONCERT REPORTS: Las Vegas, Nevada, December 10 & 11, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Ruskafarian

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Las Vegas, Nevada, December 10 & 11, 2010

Post by Ruskafarian »

Some more photos...
Attachments
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
Ruskafarian

Post by Ruskafarian »

Final batch.

Enjoy & thanks again!
Attachments
07.JPG
08.JPG
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

dce suggested post-tour celebrations. A very good idea! Who is going to organise the Irish one? And where? And when?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Thanks for your early report , rpan; I look forward to more eye-witness accounts from those who were in las Vegas.
jdhayes wrote:dce suggested post-tour celebrations.
What is the relevance of this to a Las Vegas Concert Report thread? :?: :!:
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

I was there! There are no words........there are no words....

Others will comment on the music....I can only say the moment was extraordinary.The Forum members in the front, tears, shouts, clapping, jumping up, singing along.. for every precious moment of the concert.............."passing though" ...the forum contribution before the second set.......at least 5 minutes of love expression for Leonard...., gaining voices, getting louder...and Leonard joined in!, albeit briefly.

The entire night was terribly emotional, as expected,....Leonard was relaxed and could scarely say a word between songs...the crowds were on their feet, clapping and shouting endlessly. His gratitide, and his response to the affection only got more intense as the second set continued ....."Closing Time" just wasn't going to end the show...... hard to keep track of the number of encores...it was just a blur!.........

Others will report on the songs, and their changes (Bird on a Wire, particularly), but this Forum member was so caught up in the moment of warmth ....the crowd sang along most of the show...it was almost like sitting around a campfire.....singing tunes that were old friends, and with old friends from the Forum.

There were Forum meetups at the Sea Horse before and after the concert, with all the forum members knowing we were going back to our virtual friendships, not knowing, but always hoping, that another Tour would start and that Cohenites would reunite and again experience the intensity, the universal emotions of the "lovefest" that was the final concert!

Leonard from Montreal
Same name...Same town.....no Golden Voice
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
cgschott

Re: Saturday Night in Vegas

Post by cgschott »

Fantastic concert. Too many mystical events to enumerate. The highlight for me was "A Singer Must Die." I was amazed and Leonard's guitar skills and the dark atmospherics of this song. A once-in-a-lifetime event. I would say to Leonard as he asked the girls last night "Don't stop, don't ever stop."
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Victor Floyd's blog "Hopeless Bleak Despair" - a report from the show on Friday night.

Also - there are MP3 links in the article for the audio of the complete show. :D

I'm listening now and the audio is good in spite of claims that it is poorly recorded.
Thank you!
Victor also says that he may be editing his post to clean it up - but for now -

http://www.hopelessbleakdespair.com/?p=1033
leonard cohen – live at caesar’s palace in las vegas – 12-10-10
By admin | Published: December 12, 2010

some concerts are shows. you go like you might go to most movies. they are fun while they are going on. parts of them may be memorable. and on you go with your life. i swear i am not overselling this. the leonard cohen concert i attended in las vegas last night was a life changing event.

cohen is a cool enigma. poet, novelist, songwriter, musician, performer. he’s not for everyone, but if he does touch you in just the right way, it’s almost as though his technique, his approach, his tone, his cynicism, his ideals become a part of you. he’s more than a performer, or singer, or writer. he’s one of those artists who reach people in such a way that through some alchemy of interaction with his art, he becomes a part of your psyche.

and so, the concert: during the first number, ‘dance me to the end of love’, he came out and soon dropped to he knees. he sang as though it was a prayer, a supplication. he crooned to his virtuoso bandurria and 12 string nylon-guitarist, javier mas. together they shared a secret with us. cohen closed his eyes as though he was writing it all over again. it felt holy, like church – filled with joy, searching, ideas, music and the joy of existence. it was like nothing i’ve ever seen.

cohen is magnanimous on stage. he takes off his hat and stands still when someone is soloing or the ladies are taking the melody – almost old fashioned, and wonderful. quaint, charming and still mesmerizing. then he takes control, dancing a jig or wandering about the stage which was composed of persian area rugs.

the first part of the show, a good hour and a half of non stop performing, was largely composed of music from the masterpiece album ‘the future’. he moved effortlessly through periods in his own career, over years of strain and struggling with words, and always it seems, arriving at the same loving conclusions. he was there not so much to perform but to share what he learned with us.

the show i saw was one of two that serve as the close of a tour that has taken the aged troubadour through three continents and spanned three years. last night he showed no signs of slowing down. i hope he has more to say to us, more to sing.

and now, for no particular reason, a little verse from ‘a singer must die’:

“Now the courtroom is quiet, but who will confess.
Is it true you betrayed us? The answer is Yes.
Then read me the list of the crimes that are mine,
I will ask for the mercy that you love to decline.
And all the ladies go moist, and the judge has no choice,
a singer must die for the lie in his voice”

one thing that i immediately thought was odd was the venue. caesar’s palace? las vegas? it felt like an odd pairing. this was not lost on the man himself, who said near the end of the show: ‘thank you friends, for joining me in this curious place ……. an unmagical place …..”. las vegas seems totally in opposition to his higher minded motives and concerns. but in that space, in that time, it didn’t matter one bit that 10 yards outside the door, slot jockeys were playing for redemption, hoping for a break, throwing their money and passion down a toilet on the fraction of a chance that something would break for them. so what?

i’ve been a cohen fan since i was 16 or so. i’ve heard all these songs so many times but still, last night when he sang the classic ‘chelsea hotel #2′ and said:

“And clenching your fist for the ones like us
who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
you fixed yourself, you said, “Well never mind,
we are ugly but we have the music.”

i’m not afraid to say i got choked up. that always gets me. “we are ugly, but we have the music”.

a side note. two rows behind me was a big, gnarly drunk bastard who insisted on yelling something at the beginning of every song break. he was tolerable enough, mostly lauding leonard, though at one point he did yell ‘get a job’ which made no sense – in context or out. i wonder what guys like this are like outside of the drunken arena. does he remember the next day? does he feel bad? does he think he served the show? what was he doing there? it reminds me of the instantly classic episode of LOUIE with the female heckler.

i took some pics – but i didn’t take in my dslr so all i had to rely on was my fuji point and shoot. it has a good optical zoom but the ‘manual’ features are a digital illusion. i damp down the exposure or f-stop and the result is a digital approximation of what a step like that would look like. it’s not real. doesn’t matter – my feelings are. i don’t need photos, i have memories.

the more i think about this blog entry – the more i think that leonard’s work speaks for itself. and no one reading this is going to care what i write or will hardly regard this if they don’t know about him. and those that do follow him will think that i’ve understated his meaning and importantance. so let me just copy and paste some lyrics from ‘everybody knows’ because they are so perfect and amazing to me, still:

“Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That’s how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that you love me baby
Everybody knows that you really do
Everybody knows that you’ve been faithful
Ah give or take a night or two
Everybody knows you’ve been discreet
But there were so many people you just had to meet
Without your clothes
And everybody knows

And everybody knows that it’s now or never
Everybody knows that it’s me or you
And everybody knows that you live forever
Ah when you’ve done a line or two
Everybody knows the deal is rotten
Old Black Joe’s still pickin’ cotton
For your ribbons and bows
And everybody knows

And everybody knows that the Plague is coming
Everybody knows that it’s moving fast
Everybody knows that the naked man and woman
Are just a shining artifact of the past
Everybody knows the scene is dead
But there’s gonna be a meter on your bed
That will disclose
What everybody knows

And everybody knows that you’re in trouble
Everybody knows what you’ve been through
From the bloody cross on top of Calvary
To the beach of Malibu
Everybody knows it’s coming apart
Take one last look at this Sacred Heart
Before it blows
And everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows
That’s how it goes
Everybody knows”

ok. so here is the show i heard, poorly recorded, in four separate files. maybe i can clean them up some in the future, but still:

file the first – the first set

file the second – after intermission, second set plus an encore

file the third – second encore

file the fourth – third encore, close of show

those are mp3 files.

i highly recommend anyone not familiar with lenny to check out, at the very least, the documentary leonard cohen: i’m your man. (that links to a torrent file for the movie. download bittorrent first and direct all technical questions elsewhere). please – use GOOGLE to ask questions…

this film features more of OTHER people playing leonard’s music, but it gives a nice overview of who he is and why he is so vitally important to so many of us. i don’t have to sell this event to you – i’m just sharing. i’ll edit this entry and make it a little slicker soon, i’m sure. ill make smoother transitions. i’ll tie together themes. but until then, end of entry.

Last edited by sturgess66 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

I'd echo everything Rpan says. It was a great concert. For me it was up there with Kilmainham and Lissadell. The band were on their game and LC was in sparkling form. RPAN's comment about LC smiling is so true. He was, throughout. There were many flawless performances during the course of the concert, and it was, in simple terms, a great evening, helped by a crowd that made every effort to engage, great acoustics and the usual hard work by the band and support crew. Highlights for me were Chelsea Hotel, Bird on a Wire, Who by Fire and Famous Blue Raincoat. Sadlybut not unexpextedly the language from the stage also made it clear that it was the final (as in FINAL) performance.

His words of thanks to the followers were appreciated by all who have travelled to see him.

Can I say a thank you (as I already did last night in the Seahorse bar) to Jarkko for his efforts in getting us all here and getting great seats for everyone. This made all the difference.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
Trenton J

Post by Trenton J »

My Mother introduced to the wondererous world of Leonard Cohen several years ago... and then I took her to see the UHTC show in Queensland back in 2008. I was transfixed, mesmerized, flawed beyond all words, beyond all semblance of expression...

Because of that show I made a point of being in Las Vegas for the tour finale and sat next to gregarious GWEN with her huge Irish flag singing along to almost every song on Saturday night!
I also walked up to JARRKO just before the concert and congratulated him on his devotion to all things Cohen and patted him on the back. It was again magical seeing Leonard and band last night and I want to ask how we will all cope now that there are no more tour dates?! To be fair, LC and the UHTC probably deserve a break now.

One thing is for sure the world is a better place because of Leonard Cohen.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The sun is up in Vegas and the fog of last nights show is still in the eyes of the troupe as the travel home day begins.
* Las Vegas, Nevada
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/218 ... ast-nights

A BIG thank you to Joey - Joseph Carenza - for his wonderful "Notes From The Road" during this last leg of the tour. A colourful delight of action pictures - a live feed of each show as it unfolded. And a great insight into the back story - all the people from the Unified Heart Touring Company who worked behind the scenes making this tour wonderful beyond compare. And a big "thank you" to them all - and a wish for "happy trails" going forward. Leonard Cohen and the United Heart Touring Company - simply the best of the best. The few times when tumblr was "down" - so were a lot of people - whose experience of following this magnificent tour "virtually" was greatly enhanced by Joey's "Notes From The Road." Thank you Joey!! Just saying ..

A treasure trove of images.

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/archive
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

More blessings to Joey - he's still giving - :D

Chris Bynum is ready to roll.
* Las Vegas, Nevada
Time to roll.
* Las Vegas, Nevada
A quick trip to the airfield.
* Las Vegas, Nevada
BFFs.
* Las Vegas, Nevada
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

sturgess66 wrote: A colourful delight of action pictures - a live feed of each show as it unfolded. And a great insight into the back story
Well said, sturgess, couldn't agree more.

Joey, your Notes from the Road have been brilliant, thanks, and even now, after the night before, you haven't abandoned us yet! I hope you write a book based on your notes, sometime, if you get the time. We'll all buy it ! :D
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

This video is from Victor Floyd - he just edited and inserted it into his blog (posted above) -
http://www.hopelessbleakdespair.com/?p=1033

On YouTube he is "thensaiswatchin" - Thanks!

"The Future" (partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N12rLuPFXhA
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

If I had a wishlist for a perfect day and evening , yesterday would be it.

Travelling home today and will upload on my return. In the meantime two video memories to savour:

Tower Of Song.
With a special lead in by the members of the Fourm singing "Passing Through".....a great suggestion my Marie Mazur which started hesitantly but then gathered both volume and momentum until Leonard took to the stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoDVbkE2Th8

Closing Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt-c9ocdCk0

enjoy

albert
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks so much for the video Albert. Wonderful!!!

This is a link to a blog belonging to a photographer, Caryn Rose - who asks that forums/message boards provide a link to her site rather than copying her blog - so here is the link. Her writings about the show last night -

http://www.jukeboxgraduate.com/2010/12/ ... as-121110/

Return to “The World Tour 2010”