CONCERT REPORT: Hanging Rock, Australia, November 20, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Hanging Rock, Australia, November 20, 2010

Postby sturgess66 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:16 pm

Joey has put together a terrific photo slide show of the crew of the United Heart Touring Company -
The UHTC crew is one of the best in the world and after almost two and half years together on the road, they are also like family.
And they like ice cream.

- Hanging Rock - Victoria, Australia
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/162 ... -world-and
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks Linda! Why is everyone eating at the soundcheck except LC? He needs to eat also!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
dce

Postby dce » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:16 am

I'm sure other Melbournian forum members (and some from further afield I met at Hanging Rock last night) will be jumping on their computers to put some comments down this morning. I'll be putting up a report later today as well .... but since I have a few moments while sitting in the airport, here's a quick summary of my impressions of the night.

Wow ... with a venue this beautiful and a crowd this rapturous, this could have been an absolutely sublime event. It didn't reach these heights, however, purely due to the way the temperature plummeted as the sun was setting. You could see Leonard and band pluckily forging ahead through a (cut down) second set and a couple of encores, but even with scarves and heavy coats they were obviously freezing. The billowing breeze through the stage area probably didn't help. I think that LC and the Webbs may have been a bit concerned for their voices holding out, singing in such conditions, and this (plus the general discomfort) led to the later sets being abbreviated (set list over in the other thread).

The cold weather, however, didn't stop the crowd from going absolutely nuts over Leonard's performance, right through to the end. Even though it was equally freezing in the audience area, people were still cheering for more even as Leonard and the girls were probably racing back stage to get a warm drink to soothe their raspy throats!

Oh ... and no Sharon again!

(Lots) more to report later, but that's the headline news!

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
redsails

A few more things planned?

Postby redsails » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:04 am

I agree with Dean. Leonard mentioned at the beginning of the show that they would give it everything they had. It would appear that there were at least a couple of other things planned which didn't eventuate because of the freezing temperatures: A stage hand kindly handed me the setlist along with two other sheets stuck to it on the the stage...They were cheat sheet lyrics for "The Night Comes on"... plus a quick glance at the proposed setlist suggested a third unplayed encore of 'Tried to leave you' plus 'Heart w/ no Companion'! :cry: What a shame there were so many panicking about the transport situation and opting to leave early. :shock: I noticed that LC had a handkerchief omnipresent during the last few songs, choosing to bring proceedings to a premature close to avoid catching a chill. This was my first ever LC show and what a venue... They obviously need to sort out the traffic problems though... at three oclock in the afternoon, there was a +3 km queue of cars at the Hanging rock Exit... and it took about 2.5 hours to exit the carpark after the show. My wife and I opted to have a sleep in the car until everyone had filtered out and we eventually left the parking area at 1.30am... Loved the show though...
Attachments
The Night_2.jpg
The Night_1.jpg
LC_Setlist_201110.jpg
dce

Postby dce » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:19 am

Photos from Hanging Rock, Part 1

The Hanging Rock concert was a perfect opportunity to catch some excellent photos -- some songs in daylight, a picturesque venue, some friendly Aussie wildlife (no kidding). Also, I was seated only five rows back from the stage, which gave me a great view of not only the performance space but the "back stage" areas to the left and right (which were really only separated from the public by an improvised curtain at best.

Because of all these factors, I took quite a lot of photos, many of which turned out well. In the interests of not flooding the forum with my pictures I'll put them up in batches over the next couple of days. For those who don't want to wait: everything is already up on my flickr account. Click http://www.flickr.com/photos/55200187@N ... 308275599/ and you'll find them.

Hanging Rock: The Venue

I arrived at the venue about an hour before gates opened, but there were already many hundreds of people queued up ahead of me. With nothing else to do, people set up makeshift picnic spots ... which is kind of ironic, right in front of Hanging Rock:

The queue to get into the venue ran right past some typical Aussie bushland ... and you could spot some typically Aussie wildlife staring in bemusement at all these people:

An amazing place to set up a stage ... the view from (near) the back:

Hmm ... I'm not used to seeing these just hanging in the open air:

During the first set, the moon rose above the hills opposite Hanging Rock ... Leonard referred to it in his spoken intro to Anthem:

Leonard singing, framed by beautiful Australian bushland (thanks to a gap in the side of stage):

Dusk over the mountains:

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
B4real

Postby B4real » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:20 am

Hi Dean,

I have just looked at your photo stream on flickr. Fabulous pics :D I love that one with Leonard and the aussie bush background. Thank you so much for sharing them. I don't care how many you put up here - they are so welcomed.
I can't believe how cold it was down there. :o and only a month to Christmas hot weather.
Could that kangaroo be 'you-know-who' out stretching his legs. ;-)
Bev
Be for real. Free yourself to find the real Self ~~ Me
Happiness is like learning the violin, the more you practice it the more it comes to you ~~ Me
Without the heart, there can be no understanding between the hand and the mind ~~ Gore Vidal
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:28 am

I was concerned about the "low" temperature when I posted earlier. I just gave the "high" daytime temperature and hoped that the "low" would not be as cold as they were forecasting. 45 - 48 F. Yikes! Too cold.

There is a slide show of some excellent picture at this link. Click the arrow on the bottom right and the slide show will play -
http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2010 ... centralvic
21 November, 2010 12:50PM AEDT
Hanging with Leonard Cohen
By Margaret Burin

Thousands were captivated by Leonard Cohen under the picturesque setting of Hanging Rock, north-west of Melbourne.

[SLIDE SHOW]

As the sun descended behind the historical rock on the mountain, crowd members described the 76-year-old singer-songwriter's performance as 'moving', 'magical' and a 'true spiritual experience'.

Cohen started with Dance me to the end of love and played Hallelujah, I'm your man and Suzanne within his emotive three hour set.

Some reminisced about Cohen's 1974 Melbourne performance and others had made the trip to see several of his shows in this year's Australian tour.

While some lay on their picnic mats, sipped wine and absorbed the tunes of Dan Sultan, Clare Bowditch and Paul Kelly, many were still sitting in a line of bumper-to-bumper traffic through Woodend.

But before too long, the wait was forgotten and perfect weather made the sold-out show all the more unforgettable.
kimmyop

Postby kimmyop » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:21 am

The highlight of the concert was Vika and Linda Bull, two of our best singers backing Paul Kelly. The lowlights were numerous far too many people allowed into the venue. The numbers were meant to be capped but it felt like half of Melbourne turned up, the traffic control was terrible. Like others we stayed in the carpark for a couple of hours before getting out. And far too many acts on the bill. We baked in stinking hot weather with no shade (this is hot Australian skin cancer causing sun) until the sun went down and then we froze. The too many people meant every time we got up to dance we were yelled yet. And that even after Leonard had said that there were some great dancers there.

Leonard's part of concert was excellent. The absence of Sharon meant we saw more of the Webb Sisters and they shone. After seeing Leonard at Rochford Winery, Rod Laver Arena and Hanging Rock he was still able to amaze, leap around (dance) and stun. Sisters of Mercy was great as was bird on a wire and partisan. Less dialogue but he has been on the road for ages and is probably a bit tired.

My advice, if you can afford it get the posh tickets up close. We did that at Rochford but couldn't afford it at Hanging Rock but it does make a difference.

Yes we missed some great songs, but if you were there in the queue early enough you heard Leonard warming up and sound checking so it was like a double concert and good fun.

But like the other chap I would not go to Hanging Rock again for a concert, if the numbers were capped maybe but overall too many people.
dce

Postby dce » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:55 am

Photos from Hanging Rock, Part 2 -- The Weather Is Cold

While the daytime temperature at the Hanging Rock site was very comfortable -- maybe even slightly warm. Probably somewhere around 28C (~90F). I even had to put sunscreen on for fear of getting burned. But as the sun dipped behind the stage and eventually below the horizon, it just kept getting colder and colder.

Right from the very beginning, Leonard and the band seemed to be expecting the cold. The Webb Sisters had a little fan heater set up in front of them, even during the daytime set:

Sun sets behind the Rock ... now it's starting to get seriously cooler:

When they came back from intermission, the Webb Sisters were equipped with scarves. A couple of songs later, they got heavy overcoats too!:

Into the encores ... the whole band is starting to look serious cold. Fair enough too, so was I:

Dean (from Adelaide)
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:22 am

Hey folks, I thought I would do my usual briefish concert report, but don’t be concerned if you’re looking for a more comprehensive and detailed report, as Dean (Adelaide) will give you this in due course for sure! ;-) We’re so lucky to have Dean doing this, as it takes the reporting responsibility off the rest of us! :razz:

My report is a mixture of positives and negatives (unfortunately).

On the positive side:
Setting: Hanging Rock was a superb location, with “the rock” an awe inspiring backdrop and guardian over proceedings. 8)
Age spread: It was again affirming to see the broad age spread from teenagers right through to the (predominant) “baby boomer” set. There were also younger children there with their parents. I was wondering if the “family/children” factor might result in modified lyrics in Chelsea Hotel 2 (as it apparently has in the past), but it didn’t, so I guess it may just have facilitated delicate communications between some of the parents and their children! ;-)
Afternoon weather: This was superb, with warm but not too hot temperatures and a clear blue sky.
Sunset/Moonrise: The sunset behind “the rock” & stage superstructure was lovely to witness, as was the rising (almost full) moon, which Leonard also referred to, as Dean has already mentioned. :D
Rock lighting: Hanging Rock was lit up (in subdued way) throughout the evening with the colours varying throughout the night in cyclic fashion. This was a nice touch I thought. 8)
Loftiest listener: It was pointed out to me & my binoculars confirmed that during the first (daylight) set, there was a person perched up on a rock at one of highest points on Hanging Rock. :shock: They eventually came down, as I’m sure being stuck up there or descending from there would be more of an ordeal than a pleasure at night-time.
Leonard/band: Despite the (2nd set) cold, Leonard and the band were in great spirits and performed wholeheartedly, with Leonard’s beaming smiles being a real tonic for everyone! :D
Laura: In a queue for coffee (which I eventually abandoned) I struck up a conversation with a young woman named Laura, who coincidentally spent a year in Montreal recently, whilst studying at McGill University. More interestingly, whilst there, she had done a Buddhism course for several weeks and most happily discovered that the venue her Buddhist nun used for the classes was actually Leonard’s house!! 8) What a nice piece of double serendipity (for Laura there and for me hearing about this from her) :!:

On the negative side:
Traffic/parking: This was a real hassle, both the queuing to get in to the concert & the queuing to get out later that night. I also had prepaid for parking, but inadvertently ended up in an area where I didn’t need to pay, as it was not clear where I needed to enter & everyone coming from the same direction were directed without apparent choice anyway.
Cold night: Once the sun set, it turned into a very cold night for everyone, audience and performers. In fact I can’t think of any other concert anywhere where Leonard wore a scarf & the band had coats on – can anyone vouch for that? For me the cold actually took the edge out of my enjoyment of the night, but it did have a somewhat ironically amusing aspect, given Australia’s sunny hot summers’ reputation (or at least that perception in most overseas observers’ eyes)! ;-)
Sharon’s absence: As Dean has already mentioned, Sharon was absent and this was disappointing given the limitations it imposes.
Shorter duration: The whole concert was a bit shorter and I believe the third encore would have been dropped as Leonard and every one performing were understandably not going to push their endurance limits on such a relatively inhospitable cold night.
Alcohol cost: I guess many would be happy to pay whatever for wine, but I thought that having the cheapest bottle of wine at $28, was a bit much after paying so much for the concert anyway. One could not BYO – if so, I know I could have brought along just as enjoyable wine costing $10 - $12. Oh well, the money equation never seems to take a second place anywhere when it comes to the entrepreneurial music experience! :(
Crowd intolerance/conflict: Like 'kimmyop' has suggested, people weren’t able to freely express themselves by standing/dancing, as more serious concert-goers were shouting out for them to sit down. This sort of conflict and intolerance always disappoints me. My position is that I don’t need to see Leonard/band members for every moment of the whole show, so having them obscured from time to time is not an issue for me. In fact (particularly in outdoor, festive, picnic circumstances like this) I get almost as much pleasure watching the audience enjoying Cohen as I do seeing the performances. ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
Last edited by Andrew (Darby) on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
blonde madonna

Postby blonde madonna » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:26 am

Sturgess, your last posting has disturbed me - an ABC journalist claiming Leonard Cohen was in Melbourne in 1974! Is this true?

BM
1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
blonde madonna

Postby blonde madonna » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:39 am

Hi Andrew
Nice to hear about your day and the Laura story was very interesting because my DD is thinking about a McGill exchange for her French. How about the experience in the general admission area? It seems the plastic chair to grass ratio is shrinking at the 'day on the green' events.

BM
2010 -- Melbourne
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 am

Hey BM, I noticed that too about the 1974 performance & I don't believe it to be true, having consulted the "Cohen world bible" (The Files), which suggests the first Aussie tour happened in 1980. However, I have some lingering notion that Leonard may have visited at an earlier point in time (to see George Johnston, who showed the younger Cohen hospitality, particularly when he first arrrived on Hydra) :?:

Re the experience in the Genaral Admission area, it was fine, though by it's very nature (of not having allocated fixed seating) has more of a chaotic movement & partying/picnic distraction element built in to it, including the crowd conflict one I mentioned in my report. I didn't think the more expensive plastic chair section was that big, though the camera angle of the earlier empty venue shot may have conveyed that impression. There was actually heaps of room behind that section. What is frustrating is the segragated nature of this arrangement, as I don't think I could visit Dean/Ania in their sections easily. Oh well, we text messaged anyway. ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
blonde madonna

Postby blonde madonna » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks for your prompt reply. :D Would love to know more about Leonard visiting George! Do you know anymore?

I was planning to go on the grass (and may well do to see others) which is why I was interested...so the couple who wanted to dance were with the hoi poloi, how dreadful they were howled down.

Hope you had a great day overall,

BM
2010 -- Melbourne
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:37 am

A few pictures from Joey - tumblr has been nasty!

Stage Manager Paul Stratford gives Dan Sultan the countdown until he takes the stage.
* Hanging Rock - Victoria, Australia (catch up posts due to technical issues)
Dan Sultan is on and the Hanging Rock show is a go.
Stunner day as the show gets rolling.
tumlbr fail
tumblr erased an entire days worth of posts (the Hanging Rock show) from the queue. Will attempt to salvage and repost today.
The show today must run exactly to plan as there are huge fines for breaking curfew.
No worries though, stage manager Paul Stratford has the day well in hand.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”