CONCERT REPORT: Bratislava, Slovakia, October 13, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Bratislava, Oct. 13, 2010

Postby sturgess66 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:04 pm

The day has flown by and soundcheck is about to start.
* Sibamac Centre - Bratislava, Slovakia
Rafael Bernardo Gayol steadies himself to catch a proper shot of LC and The Webb Sisters before the band hits the stage.
* Sibamac Arena - Bratislava, Slovakia
The crowds ready, let’s start the show.
And here they go - :D :D :D
Last show in Europe, let’s do the thing.
bridger15

Postby bridger15 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:32 pm

http://www.cas.sk/clanok/182566/leonard ... ieval.html

Note the now bearded Joey. He was beardless in Gothenburg. viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22603&start=45#p251675
Leonard Cohen is already in Bratislava:

(more photos: http://www.cas.sk/galeria/217666/?foto=1)

Today, 16:03

Leonard Cohen sings tonight Bratislava. The Canadian singer has arrived in the Slovak capital.

The Canadian singer has arrived in the Slovak capital.

Leonard Cohen arrived on Wednesday 13 October 2010 shortly after 14 o'clock at the Bratislava airport.
Author: Michael Stock, New Time

Bard Concert Choir will be held tonight in Sibamac Arena. Cohen arrived at Bratislava airport
Today, shortly after the 14-hour , Where it caught our photographer's lens. From the airport to the hotel singer directed to the recuperation of the concert before the evening.

Cohen is happily smiling on arrival to Bratislava concerts has probably only good memories. Last here singing legend played last August, it was his first concert in Slovakia.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
LEONKA

Postby LEONKA » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:31 am

sturgess66 wrote:

Leonka - according to Joey - the brass (and that includes the whole UHTC ) have arrived. They are in town and preparations are in full swing - :lol: :lol:

Hello sturgess66,

or the band with Leonard no longer can, with from outside Bratislava away. :lol:

Sad news: "I is not ever upload any video :( . I am ........... I do not understand how it could become. My mind was ......., but because you probably know.
I could barely concentrate on photography and it was all about, what I was capable. You know the difference when you sit in row 12 and the difference is when you sit in row 5. The proximity to the stage is like a magnet, the closer to someone or something, it's gaining momentum.
I have pictures that need further treatment. Where, I do correct, so, send give photos ,concert must be repeated promise that .........., to upload video from the concert :D . everything rescued albertnoonan, he recorded a concert for which I am very grateful to him. Sat, next to us.
He met someone to Jarkko, on concert?

Hello Arlene,
Thank you for sharing beautiful photo Leonard.

The print-newspaper will have to buy today. Fortunately,I go around the publisher's editorial staff.
Last edited by LEONKA on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gallina

Postby gallina » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 am

Gallina’s report: Part one

The concert was wonderful, beautiful, amazing, terrific, marvellous………and wonderful, and beautiful and……..I’m still in heaven, so glad to have been there….. it was the last europeen concert!!!!!!!! (hopfully just for this year, he must be back!!!!!!!!!).

We got back from Bratislava to Budapest at 3 am, and after a 3 hours of sleep I already held an italian lesson this morning. So I’m pretty tired……but very happy!
Now I have a short break and I try to write down my feelings. It’s not so easy, but I’ll try it.

We arrived from Budapest at half past two by car, Mariann (thank so much for your car), Majmunka (Eva) Marton and me.
I delayed a little bit from the meeting in Budapest, so while they waited for me in the parking place, Majmunka started to prepare a 10 meters long banner that we showed to Leonard during the 3th encore. She wrote on: „Dear Leonard, Europe is crazy for you, come back soon”, or something like that, I dont’t remember the exact words. Thank you Eva for it, that was a brilliant idea. (I will write that story as well…)

When we finally found the Arena (there was no indications on the streests), we tried to go inside and listening to the soundcheck. That was impossible, of course, but before the soundcheck the door was open, and Jarkko and Elijah, who were inside, realized us and came out for a chat. We talked at least a half an hour, they were very nice, we feeled to be in a family with them. Dear Jarkko and Elija, thank you so much for it, you are very kind, you are our really friens!

Actually we didn’t know if Leonard and the band were already inside or not, but we walked around the Arena, hoping to see THE CAR arriving… of course they were already inside, but suddenly I saw Javier who (I think) came outside to smoke and waching a tennis party that was just next to the Arena. I went to him… he was very kind, we talked a little bit….I was so excited and confused, I tried to speak a little bit spanish, a little bit english, and he answered me always in that language I used, with a big smile. We had a picture together, I am so happy for it! I love all the band members, but Javier was always my favorite. AFTER LEONARD, OF COURSE! So I have now this sweet memory photo with Javier. Muchas gracias Javier, tu eres el mejor! Encantada!

At half past 4 we went in that caffé in Polus City Center that Leonka indicated for the meetup. We, „The Hungarian group” arrived the first, but after a while arrived the others as well, we were alltogether about 20….thank you Leonka for organizing, and thank you forum members for coming! Harald and Regina, Susanna and Leonka, Alex, Gabri and Husband, Kaz and Daughter, Marina, and the others, forgive me, but I don’t remember the other’s names… We had a great time together, but…..

…at about 6 o clock we started to go to the arena….the place was pretty small, 4500 seats (but somebody said it was more smaller, not more than 3000). I don’t know….but I liked it very much, there was a kind, familiar atmosphere in the hall.

And the show started…..
Last edited by gallina on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:05 am, edited 7 times in total.
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:49 pm

Sorry - I don't know how to translate "Posolstvá" - so we'll just go with Google's translation of the title - :lol:
http://tvnoviny.sk/showbiz/hudba/posols ... ierku.html
Our Lady of Leonard Cohen on Wednesday took the Prime Minister
BRATISLAVA, 14.10.2010. 09:14, | SITA

The holder of the prestigious Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award concert ended his European world tour in the Slovak capital.
Leonard Cohen
(Photo: Getty Images)

Canadian folk musician Leonard Cohen on Wednesday was in Bratislava European part of his world tour. The legendary musician was presented in the Sibamac Arena National Tennis Centre (NTC), which was his second visit to the Slovak capital. He was in Bratislava, in August 2009, namely Incheba. Just like then, and this time it was hopelessly sold out concert and despite not lowest price tickets. Around the hall mostly Slovak was heard except for a few foreign languages. Among the guests appearances on 76-year veteran of the world scene and figured prominent political figures as Prime Minister of the Slovak Republic Iveta Radičová whether the current Minister Daniel Lipšic and Jan Figel. Radičová after a concert at the social network Facebook messages recalled Cohen's songs and the actual values, which they discussed.

Canadian launched its appearance fifteen minutes after eight o'clock in the evening. He began his song Dance Me to the End of Love, which opens the regular appearances on his world tour. After following pieces The Future and Bird on the Wire is the first time addressed the audience. "I'm glad I'm back in this beautiful city. This is our last concert in Europe, but I promise you that we'll give you all we've got," said Cohen . The offspring of Jewish parents sang in the first performances songs such as Everybody Knows, Who By Fire, Born in Chains, Chelsea Hotel # 2 or Waiting for the Miracle. They were followed by approximately a 20-minute break.

The second block of classic songs opened as like last August with a piece called Tower of Song. Afterward Cohen sang one of his biggest hits - the ballad Suzanne. The member of the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Songwriters Hall of Fame sang all night in English, but as the song The Partisan brings comfort to lovers of French, a few verses were sung in that language. Mandatory demand for the interpretation of his most famous hit, Hallelujah, for which he earned thunderous applause. Last two songs of the second part of the concert were the songs "I'm Your Man" and "Take This Waltz."

Cohen, dressed in his typical dark suit with a hat on his head, then in Sibamac arena tribute by standing ovation. This musician who is on the scene with no breaks for an incredible 54 years, thanked them with two encores - the wonderful "So Long, Marianne" and the rhythmic "First We Take Manhattan." Cohen has complied with the scheme of the premiere concert and Slovak as well as time allowances divided into several parts. In the second song he sang "Famous Blue Raincoat." Then a very moving poem "If It Be Your Will," in which the Canadian recites and British duo Webb Sisters then sang and played.

A song with a distinctive name of "Closing Time" was the very last. The native of Quebec parted the capital of Slovakia just before midnight after singing "I Tried To Leave You" and "There Ain't No Cure for Love."
LEONKA

Postby LEONKA » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi gallina, and all

Only now I realize that I have nothing to write about the whole concert, but I think our feelings about the concert, captured accurately gallina. I not remember not whether someone has added to the meeting, we were on the list I think, fewer .Therefore, the space was also smaller. It's nothing changed in essence, that I loved meeting and also that you enjoyed the concert. Yes, Sibamac Arena is spatially smaller than Incheba.

LINK for LEONARD,, Jarkko and band, please do not forget tell us the new date World Tour ....... , we're patient. :mrgreen:

Sometimes one realizes that his chance to take it for themselves, not sufficiently,understood.
Maybe someone knows what I write. :?
tinderella

Postby tinderella » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Hey Leonka

I love to read what you write... I can really feel your enthusiasm and joy from your words..

Well done
bridger15

Postby bridger15 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:37 pm

http://kultura.sme.sk/c/5593329/cohen-e ... krasu.html
Google translation
Cohen again gave beauty

He has 76 years, but his concert lasted three hours and although the room were chairs, the last song listened to by all standing.

BRATISLAVA. "This is our last concert in Europe. You will play everything we have, "he said on Wednesday shortly after the eighth Leonard Cohen in Bratislava and the band really respected. "Thanks for the warm reception," he said shortly before midnight, and bowed ceremoniously to enthusiastic audiences.

And although the organizers of the National Tennis Centre almost always face fines for complaints of people living in the neighborhood because of interference silent hours, this time no one could complain. So soft and comfortable in this concert hall has been before.

No dohasínajúca star
The first time he played here last year, but yesterday there was no indication it. Already one hour before the concert around Sibamac arena could not park and stood in front of people who tried to buy a ticket. Leonard Cohen that he had again been sold a coincidence - there is no dohasínajúcou star, which is already good and Slovakia. Although age has seniors, but for concerts it skips, gives out the beauty of his music and charm of its deep-set voice to the fullest.

It was a place to mystical experience. Several times it appeared that the slower longer play or not and despite the fact that it was a night in the middle of the working week, which lasted three hours, perhaps no one in the hall could not fall asleep. Even so, the concert was a great comfort built and Cohen fans who saw him in Bratislava last year, the inclusion of several other songs. Otherwise, everything went according to expectations. Or more precisely, of great expectations.

At the outset, traditionally vyhupol briskly to the podium, in traditional dress with a hat, traditionally often during the singing knelt on his knees, classy traditionally communicated with the band and audience. It has great charm, but also a sense of humor - when his audience applauded after a simple solo said "Thanks, you're very kind."

If anyone still thought that he was one hit after the break had finally understand that it is not. Suzanne and Hallelujah fit (in a good way) among other songs. Sounded great Bird on the Wire, glorious memory of Janis Joplin Chelsea Hotel # 2, I'm Your Man listened attentively particular Juraj Kukura, who once attempted a cover (in the hall was also Prime Minister Radičová).

The highlight of the evening, however, were allowances. Very first So Long, Marianne put all viewers of chairs, a brilliant (and ambiguously) the importance I Tried To Leave You and the final Is not No Cure For Love really have not heard anything.

video link: Marianne
http://www.vii.sk/video/o0oalig6n/leona ... -13-10-10/

They are basically simple stuff, but its nature and amazing power that one room. Cohen, though with an introductory Dance Me To The End Of Love cuts match the fire and remained until the end. Flawless band whose boss Roscoe Beck first appeared alongside the singer in the late 70th years, if only subtly, but very musically accompanied to the audience pleasantly hrial flame.

The concert would also withdrew himself, but it would be a shame if the band has great multi-instrumentalist and Dina Solda Spanish virtuoso on various stringed instruments Javier Masa. Are also other excellent musicians and singing duo sisters Webb. In Bratislava, missing only Cohen's longtime muse and collaborator Sharon Robinson, who fell ill.

Last tour
Bratislava concert was not just the last stop of a European tour this report. As confirmed by the organizers singers Management, was the last European tour vôbec.Práve therefore was on Wednesday evening at the National Tennis Centre and unusually full of fans from Austria, Hungary and even from Germany.

Several of them at the end of the concert moved about fifteen meter banner with the word Europe Is Crazy For You Come Back! (Europe is mad at you, come back), but although Cohen looked in great form, nevertheless it already pulls in eighty. It has its audience long proved a multi-handed. So much may regret all those who experienced it even once. Such an opportunity may already have not. It was an exceptional evening.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Wimmer

Postby Wimmer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi

What an amazing night in Bratislava. What should I say this concert. Still floating one cloud. I sill lack words to describe my fellings.
It was an incredible amazing evening, it will be forever memorable. It was so great to see him again live. I can't with words in this moment to says his Songs, Suzanne, Bird on the wire, The darkness, Born to Chains, Anthem .... and especially Avalanche live to hear.
His energy, his smile, his words, his voice unforgettable.

THANK YOU Mr. Leonard Cohen for this wounderful 3 years.

Thanks for the Band members, you are fantastic.

Roscoe Beck,
Neil Larsen,
Robert Metzger,
Rafael Gayol ( our timekeeper)
Javier Mas ( unforgettable Who by fire)
Dino Soldo :D :D
Charley and Hetti Webb ( two angels with a wounderful voice)
and last Sharon Robinso ( I missed your Boggie Street)

....... and the band is really happening ...........
what's going down up on Stage

We wish and wait of a new tour ( we're patient)

Marina
Wimmer

Postby Wimmer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi Leonka!

Thank you for organizing the meet up. It was so nice to meet you.

Also for Eva, Gallina ( send a PM) Mariann, Harald and Regina ( we see on Saturday) Silvia ( it was so nice to see you) Gabri and Husband,
Kaz and his daughter, a couple from Berlin :D and a youn Man from London ( so sorry I've forgot your name)
We have a great time together.

It was nice to meet Jarkko and Eija for a little chat. And so nice to meet Marie and Albert.Was a pleasure to meet you.

Will upload my videos.

Marina
moonglum

Evening in Bratislava

Postby moonglum » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Hello Leonka and all the others we have met!

Thanks for the wonderful evening with Leonard & Band at their Best. I have never seen Lenny in such a mesmerising state. It was wonderful to see Leonard enjoying himself and the band and playing in Bratislava in general. A fantastic movement.

Thank you all and listen Leonard! We wish you a very good relaxing time and a enthusiastic end of the tour and millions of thanks for the wonderful shows you gave us in Europe since 2008. I attended three of them and the warm and mesmerising highlight has been the Bratislava gig yesterday!

Thank you so much!
Moonglum
normally travelling Germany up & down
http://www.christian-appelt.de
gallina

Postby gallina » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:21 pm

"DEAR LEONARD, EUROPE IS CRAZY FOR YOU, COME BACK SOON, PLEASE!"
forumra1.jpg
forumra2.jpg
forumra3.jpg
2009 Budapest

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2015 Viladrau
gallina

Postby gallina » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:24 pm

forumra4.jpg
forumra5.jpg
forumra6.jpg
2009 Budapest

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2015 Viladrau
gallina

Postby gallina » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:25 pm

forumra7.jpg
forumra8.jpg
forumra9.jpg
2009 Budapest

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2015 Viladrau
SuzanneT

Postby SuzanneT » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:44 pm

This is not a concert, it was a celebration of life, love, humanity and depth of emotion. It has been an explosion of energy, understanding and ability to give and receive ....
... every word, every note had the weight, strength and ability to create an unforgettable feeling ..
... as a never-ending avalanche of love, understanding, desire, passion, hope and sorrow bursts the song rolled on us and we just hoped the avalanche would never end and takes us somewhere where there is a world without hatred, anger, intolerance and misunderstanding, where the contrary is the world full of love and mutual respect ...
... and...
... I have no alternative than to say thank you ...
.. I'm glad I could be there, Mister Cohen ...
Love,
SuzanneT
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe

Return to “The World Tour 2010”