CONCERT REPORT: Zagreb, Croatia, July 25, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Zagreb, Croatia, July 25, 2010

Post by bridger15 »

tektako1 has uploaded a few short vids taken with an iphone.
Being seated far away from the stage, there is very little visual, but the sound is quite good.

During "So Long Marianne", the audience cheered and roared and had a sing-along. Very exciting.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tektako1#p/u/0/zAVpuFq7woU

During "Dance me to the end of time", the audience started clapping in time to the music.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tektako1#p/u/3/Fy3n5clD69I

Either ofthese links will take you to the Channel with all the short clips.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Here is a link to a professional blog website which has some terrific photos from the concert.
There is one shot of the setlist included. However, there is a very strong copyright warning so photos can not be reproduced here.

http://visionthing.blog.hr/2010/07/1628 ... afija.html

---Arlene

bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

luka467

Post by luka467 »

On a scale of 1 to 5 id give it a 3+ because of a very conservative setlist,but on the plus side is Heart with no Companion,and the crowd was brilliant during Im Your Man.And a beautifull Famous Blue Raincoat to cap it all off.
kami

Post by kami »

so, Sharon Robinson was there? Great! Thanks for photos and videos on youtube!
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

luka467 wrote:On a scale of 1 to 5 id give it a 3+ because of a very conservative setlist,but on the plus side is Heart with no Companion,and the crowd was brilliant during Im Your Man.And a beautifull Famous Blue Raincoat to cap it all off.
I should not disagree with my boy in public ... Luka, you are perhaps too influenced by my immediate sort of post-concert reaction ('conservative setlist') ... They were all in great form, Leonard perhaps even more theatrical than I remember from other shows. Heart with No Companion lifted the first set and Waiting for the Miracle was superb, with reciting parts of the Flood and then singing Anthem making sure the first half ended on a high. Few words from Leonard but I still loved the genuine affection for all the band as he introduced them ... the newest and funniest epithet was, I think, "the incurable Roscoe Beck"!!! Second half has always been uplifting, and I agree with Tom that Sharon Robinson's singing on Boogie Street was just superb and she brought the house down, really! Take This Waltz was brilliant too, as Leonard interacted with first one, and then the other, Webb sisters. Like Luka, everytime I hear Famous Blue Raincoat I feel like I have been blessed and there's nowhere in the world I would rather be than listening to Leonard sing this. So, I dunno, 4+ maybe, only because it would have been great to have heard one of the new blues songs which were being played towards the end of the last tour.

In the end, though, the concert was only part of an amazing few days. I guess it was pure luck that Zagreb was the first stop on the tour but it made it special to think that Leonard and the band and the crew were almost a week in our city. Thanks again to Tom for such hard work and dedication to the cause! And - whetever else - I got to meet Leonard for the first (brief) time, and Sharon, Hattie, Charley and Roscoe again. The joke going the rounds is "Hey Paul, you know why there is no word for 'stalker' in Croatian language? ... It's because we don't do it". Well, I may be a 51 year old kid but it's nice to be part of this crazy dream! Zagreb passes the baton to Salzburg now, with some 'fans and scholars' (Sharon's beautful twitter phrase) travelling along too!

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

surrender wrote:
oblivion wrote:..what a beautiful bracelet does leonard wear, i´ve not seen it before
Doesn't it look as a magnetic health bracelet?!?
It looks to me like a bracelet of Catholic saints, like this one: http://images02.olx.ca/ui/1/88/41/6668741_1.jpg
Maybe Tekawitha is there... :)

Love the reports and videos! Leonard looks and sounds great. Congratulations to Paul!!!
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by tomsakic »

http://www.tportal.hr/showtime/glazba/7 ... lujah.html

plus, Facebook flooded with comments and statuses like "who by barbiturate", "is he kneeling for Varsavska street?", "just perfect" etc. YouTube is getting heated also.

Arlene, as I said, I got setlist, but the stage list went different, omitting The Darkness and Feels So Good. I will post it later.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

mnkyface wrote:
It looks to me like a bracelet of Catholic saints
It is. It has Catholic saints around it. I was thinking that's popular only in Croatia, but obviously not:)

Actually, LC's is very similar to that on your link, if not the same.
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

Sounds like kickoff night in Zagreb was fantastic!
I'm very happy for you guys :-) :-)

Greetings from boiling hot Tel Aviv,
--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

The original setlist (stage list was different).
Attachments
DSC00145.JPG
zagi

Post by zagi »

http://www.vecernji.hr/kultura/kantauto ... nak-171840

Another major Croatian daily newspaper's report on Leonard's ZG show (article's title is strange if not funny and odd mix of terms like "poet", "author", "singer-songwriter", "bard", etc.) :) Ends with "U više od mjesec dana vidjeli smo u Zagrebu Dylana i Cohena. Hallelujah!" (Within little over a month we had Dylan and Cohen in Zagreb. Hallelujah!"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

OHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... reading these is taking my breath away!!! Literally. I keep having to catch it!

I, too, LOVE Sharon's accuracy with her "fans and scholars" phrasing ~ we are so blessed to have such a Man where scholars are warranted... and he is so blessed to have the scholars that are so appropriate in his camp!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
darkog

Post by darkog »

In one word Concert was superb beyond the words. Everything was perfect not to mention almost 40 minute performance after Leonard ended concert. Crowd was excited and Cohen's face revealed ultimate happiness. Everything perfectly tuned.
Something we shall never forget.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I forgot to say that show was delayed for 30 minutes. So maybe that's why two songs from announced setlist were omitted. But the announced end time (on the printed sheets near the stage) read "end time 23.10" and it ended at 23.40, so the planned 3-hour show was delivered.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”