Credits, dedications and musicians on Dear Heather

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
jarkko
Site Admin

Credits, dedications and musicians on Dear Heather

Post by jarkko »

We have now posted a complete list of all song credits
of DEAR HEATHER. Go directly to http://www.dearheather.com
or use the links on the front page of The Files.

It's our new special site dedicated to the album. We have
already English, French, Croatian and Finnish sections,
and German, Hebrew, Dutch and hopefully other languages
coming soon. [If you want to do a page or two in your
language, don't hesitate to contact any of the webmasters!]

Marie, Patrice, Christof, Tom and Jurica, Einat and I are
among the webmasters, Wenslauw is going to do the Dutch
version and we may have two Polish friends also interested
in the project.

Have a look at the musicians on track # 12 - doesn't it look
wonderful! All Leonard's old musicians back in the studio!

Here we go:
Violin: Raffi Hakopian. Oud: John Bilezikjian. Piano: Bill Ginn.
Bass: Roscoe Beck. Flute: Paul Ostermayer. Guitar: Mitch Watkins.
Accordion: Garth Hudson. String arrangements: Jeremy Lubbock.

There are some live musicians also on several other tracks.
Leonard plays Jew's harp and guitar on some. Most backgrounds
are, however, created using synthetizers.

Anjani Thomas is singing with Leonard (or involved in some other way)
on nine tracks, Sharon Robinson on three.

Jarkko
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What great times those had to be in the studio! I wonder were they actually there with Leonard, or did he send them something, to which they played their part and then sent it back for inclusion. Is that possible? [Tee-Hee ~ showing my ignorance here again ~ twice within minutes ~ first regarding airplane fuel systems, and now studio recordings]. Anyway~! I hope it was a literal get-together for them. For us, it'll be as though it were!

I'm anxious to listen to Anjani's voice on these songs....and to Leonard's acoustic instruments.
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

I look forward to here the wonderful violin again.

When will samples be ready?
Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, forgive me, I should have [as I meant] said, ". . . the acoustic instruments."

Okay ~ Now I've just gone and viewed the credits. These are some of my initial impressions from looking. I felt a variety of things as I reviewed these songs. First, what an amazing array 8) :D ! Can't wait to hear "The Faith"! Second, I get this great feeling every time I see Leanne Ungar's name ~ there's a certain 'confidence of competence' that comes when I see it. A good sign of/for satisfying results. Third, Leonard has really made this a fine album of dedications to those he loves and admires. I'm surprized there's not a song dedicated to Roshi, but that's okay. Fourth, it's somehow energizing to see how many are being supported by Leonard in showcasing their own, unique talents, abilities, and strengths. Everyone seems to be participating in myriad ways. It's no wonder that the portions of the cd that we heard at the Event sounded so 'fresh' :D ! Fifth, I'm wondering how Sharon Robinson's influence will be felt on the tracks where she's involved, and I hope those who have in the past 'given her' grief will not do so on this album.

~ Elizabeth
Kush

Post by Kush »

I don't know if anybody else has a problem with it but I find the little flying dots rather distracting when I am trying to read the article by Pico Iyer and others...the reader should be able to concentrate on the article and not on flying dots.... :)

p.s. now there's a flying DEAR HEATHER too.....
Paula

Post by Paula »

Those flying dots are terrible. The article is unreadable. Pico take them off please. They are all over the place. I will give it another go tomorrow with shades on :lol:

Go no more a roving has nice memories for me. Reminds me of pub singsongs around the piano.

Those photos are lovely he actually seems to get more attractive the older he gets he has a genteel air about him.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, doesn't he, Paula....an air hard-earned and well-earned.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Those photos are lovely he actually seems to get more attractive the older he gets he has a genteel air about him.
Paula, I am reminded of this quote by Logan Pearsall Smith:

"There are people who, like houses, are beautiful in dilapidation."

Then, of course, it could just be the camera angle...and the lighting...and the airbrushing.

Speaking of dilapidation...I read Pico Iyer's article (am also very annoyed by the flying Heathers) and picked up on the ""It’s a leave-taking, with light" pronouncement. Sounds alarming. It seems to corroborate Heretic's theory in the Tough Guy in His Star Trek Uniform thread. Any news on that front Partisan?

The album does seem to have an elgiac quality...what with all those dedications and the gathering of the old guard for one last hurrah. For those of you who heard the song selections in NYC...did that seem to be the tone of the album.

Lizzytysh...any thoughts?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The flying Heathers and other dots will be removed.
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

flying heather
wondering whether
time is forever a friend
but she will know
death like a blow
reaching the dot in the end
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Midnight ~

I believe Leonard to be very realistic, knowing full well that at his age [as, in fact, at any other age], anything can happen at any time! I've always believed [and personally experienced] that the milestones of decades bring a heightened awareness of one's own mortality. Turning 30, turning 40, turning 50, turning 60, turning 70 ~ each has its own earmarks and flavours of awareness. One can only be cognizant that, at some point, life will end ~ at least in its current form.

Due to the "average life expectancy" ~ and the love that [at least] the U.S. has with statistics ~ turning 70 would seem to naturally bring to a male's mind ~ thoughts of wondering how much longer do I have on this earth. 'Gratitude' for what life brings and presents you is a very common theme of the spiritual practices. Expression of that gratitude makes the internal feeling visible. Dedicating songs to various people who have impacted his life in one way or another seems a very natural outgrowth of both his age and his lifestyle of the past 10 years.

However, Leonard clearly remains a man of vitality, energy, vigour, and creativity. If he isn't inclined to/doesn't feel like touring [as his listening world continues to beg him to do], what is the next best thing? Gather his traveling musician-friends around him for some [equally-much-begged-for] acoustic playing.

As for the tone of the album, given the songs that were graciously shared with us at the Event in NYC, it absolutely did not have a 'swan song' feel to it. Contrarily, it was vivid with life! Another, emerging 'newness' from our beloved Leonard. When you hear it, I believe you'll understand.

There are always those who want [desperately] to be the 'first' to have 'known.' Well, keep it up and, sooner or later, you'll be 'right' ~ what a claim to fame :? :roll: .

Cute ditty of a poem, Peter :D .

~ Elizabeth
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

hI Lizzytysh, please clarify a few of these comments:
turning 70 would seem to naturally bring to a male's mind ~ thoughts of wondering how much longer do I have on this earth.
Why a Male Mind? What does the female mind think about when turning 70?
There are always those who want [desperately] to be the 'first' to have 'known.' Well, keep it up and, sooner or later, you'll be 'right' ~ what a claim to fame .

I am confused. Am I supposed to want to be the first to know something? If so, please let me know what it is, so I can be on the look-out for it.
Last edited by Midnight on Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Thanks Jarkko for vacuuming up the dots!

Edited because I can't type.
Last edited by Midnight on Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emmy

Post by Emmy »

I am sad to see you removed the dots, flying heathers, etc...I thought they were perfect. Magical. But then I thought I was the only one who could see them. BTW, is there any way you can remove all the :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: 's? Now those...they are BEYOND irritating.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Midnight ~

In the U.S., the life expectancy of a male is shorter [72] than that of a female [79], so turning 70 would bring a male much closer to that brink; that's why I said "male" ~ well, along with the fact that Leonard is one :wink: .

No, not you, Midnight [though, I guess, if you like, you can stand guard alongside Partisan on it ~ shading your eyes from the sun as you peer into the distance, for what surely must be coming down the road]. It may have appeared to be addressed to you, however, since I was answering you on the posting which mentioned it.

~ Lizzy

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”