CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Karana

Re: CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

Post by Karana »

Thanks so much to everyone who posted youtube clips, photos and comments. But I haven't found any newspaper reviews yet. What's up with that? We were in the 11th row, right behind the VIP section, so much of my film was ruined by people walking past. I was counting on you who were closer to post and you didn't disappoint! We're indebted to you.
On a different subject, where did Leonard stay? Someone said they met him in the lobby of their hotel. We stayed at Hotel De Anza. Anyone with info, please cough it up. Thanks.
susankr

Post by susankr »

My photos from San Jose are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skrauss/se ... 810482120/

Show was fabulous as all have said.
susankr

Post by susankr »

I also just uploaded a brief video of Hallelujah (first time I've used the video part of my camera). Not long but a taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6u9vb
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Very clear and beautiful, Susan!

The number 058 of Sharon is rich and brilliant 8) !!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

lizzytysh wrote:Very clear and beautiful, Susan!

The number 058 of Sharon is rich and brilliant 8) !!

~ Lizzy
From watching video, I have noticed that Sharon appeared SO vibrant and happy during this show. And at the end of the show, both she and the Webb Sisters applauded Leonard Cohen.

Susan - your pics are great but that YouTube link that you posted doesn't work for me. I think I found your video on YouTube though? If you are "sekrauss?" Great sound and such a great picture. Wish you had more!!!

Hallelujah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6u9vb8lbs
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I noticed how brilliantly happy Sharon seemed throughout the show... not in the sense of its being the last show of the 2009 tour, but just thoroughly thrilled to be up there doing what she's doing. She LOVED the blouses schtick. At least she couldn't help but broadly smile and laugh.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mirka

Post by mirka »

Paula wrote:Albert what a great video of Closing Time :lol: He will never be able to sing that song again without thinking of San Jose. Absolutely brillant!!!!!
:D :lol: this was exactly my thought -- since the San Jose show every time Leonard starts "Closing time" he will probably look around waiting for some polka dot garment tossed :D :lol:
mine was black&white satin camisole, it seemed to me to be most suitable for the song, in my wildest dreams however I didn't expect so many items being tossed :shock: :shock:

ladies in the front row gave great show puting their whole hearts and souls in tossing, I loved it !!!
:D :D :D
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Although knowing Leonard, he would probably have preferred the real thing - "I dreamed about you, baby. It was just the other night. Most of you was naked, Ah but some of you was light."; "I love to see you naked over there, especially from the back." And so on and so forth, you know what I mean! San José was perhaps his wildest dream almost come true! :D :D
"We are so lightly here"
nomadic

Post by nomadic »

susankr wrote:My photos from San Jose are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skrauss/se ... 810482120/

Show was fabulous as all have said.
Thank you Susan for the photos.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

First of all susankr thanks for the photos, they're great. The one of Sharon is incredible.
Second of all did anyone record Leonard's words that he used as the intro to Democracy?
I was very touched a by his comments that this was the last concert of the tour in this great
country or something like that. Then of course he goes on to say that's it not about any particular
administration, "it's about you and me". Then he sais something else before he goes in to the song.
If anybody got that I would love to see it.
I was at both LV and SJ. The concerts were great with San Jose obviously the best. But I must say
what really made my trip fun and memorable was being with other forum members. You are a special group
of people and it is nice to be with those that have my same interest (read obsession) in Leonard Cohen and
his music.

Marsha
Last edited by friscogrl on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
mutti

Post by mutti »

I'm still recovering from getting to bed at 3:30 after the San Jose concert at the Fairmont lobby bar get together which was so much fun. I will write more later but for now will say I am still walking on air and totally blissed out from the 3 days spent with everyone and the whole experience in Las Vegas and San Jose. So many adventures, the concerts, the theater aspect of some of the antics (polka dot blouses).
Did any of you hear Diana in San Jose and the comment she yelled out to Leonard...it was brilliant and knocked me off my seat in front of her.(Hope you are ok I mention this Diana but it was so unexpected and delightful,so awesome). I think it was during I'm your Man?

I also want to let you all know that although the glow stick idea for both concerts was my idea it was not an original one as you know but I thought of Barcelona and Israel and how beautiful it must have been with the lights and I wanted to have these at the concerts for Leonard and the band...
so I wanted to let everyone know that it wasn't just me... I want to acknowledge that 4 other people were a part of providing the glow sticks for all of us and they are Lady Di/Diana, Mary B, Mary/Mollydog and Maarten! I had them shipped directly to the hotel in Las Vegas and then divided them up so we had 250 each night. We gave them to forum members and asked them to pass a few out to people sitting next to them and then we passed them out to people in intermission or before the concert which was a lot of fun doing as they were all so grateful and willing to do it.
This is up there with some of the other memorable highlights of my life and I am so glad to have met so many of you personally....
I hope we get to see each other again at some of the 2010 concerts...more later
Leslie (Mutti)
(sorry I realize I posted this in the Las Vegas section but meant to post it here so it is a duplicate post) :D
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks to Albert for his great videos...its so great to be able to go back and relive the moments.
Look forward to all of them.
And thank you Arlene for yours..and to Susan for your photos and videos!
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
trish

Post by trish »

IrishAL wrote:What a night! I finally succumbed to the temptation (with "little" persuasion from "The Management" at home) and made it to both Las Vegas and San Jose.

Here is one of the highlights of last night in San Jose.

Closing Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tioLvJ3DmUg

enjoy., more to come...

albert
Thanks Albert, that was absolutely amazing. Well done to the team who devised, organised and executed the polka dot blouse throwing!! Such a novel idea and you could see Leonard absolutely loved it. A great tribute to those great lyrics in the song. And a great way to send off the 2009 tour!

Because of a few songs
Wherein I spoke of their mystery,
Women have been tearing off their blouses and throwing them at me on stage.
mirka

Post by mirka »

mutti wrote: Did any of you hear Diana in San Jose and the comment she yelled out to Leonard...it was brilliant and knocked me off my seat in front of her.(Hope you are ok I mention this Diana but it was so unexpected and delightful,so awesome). I think it was during I'm your Man?
I heard there was some kind of commotion coming from you area, I was very far to the right, and I'm dying to know what was it about ?
Diana, please ? :?: :o
Glowing sticks were fabulous, people next to me and behind, obviously not knowing anything about the group in the audience, looked positively puzzled, and when later I took the camisole from my bag to pass it along, ladies sitting behind me almost jumped from their seats trying to get a glimpse of it.
For a moment I felt like a member of Leonard Cohen flying circus :D :razz:
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

mutti-
Diana (and all of us ladies!) were pretty, um, vocal during I'm Your man but I think you're thinking of Diana's comment during Tower of Song, when he said "but I'm not coming on", she called out "YES YOU ARE", which was awesome and elicited a smile from him. :D

I was very glad to even BE there to witness this at all because I was late getting back to my seat after intermission. At one of the doors (not sure if this was going on at other entries) ushers tried to keep me and about 20 others out until the end of ToS, which had me ready to burst into tears. A lady of about 60, my hero of the night, said NO YOU ARE NOT DOING THIS, and pushed past the usher, who tried to stop her, and she pushed harder past him, and said NO YOU GUYS DID NOT FLASH THE LIGHTS - I AM GOING IN, and she opened the doors and went in. A man followed her, saying "I have to go in, that's my wife!" :lol: Not sure if he was telling the truth but I took the opportunity to say "That's my mom!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and at the point there was so much chaos, the usher just gave up and everyone got in. It was pretty great. The usher learned an important lesson- LC fans are rabid - don't mess with us!!! I'm sure that usher is looking forward to the relative calm of Metallica next week at the HP. :lol: :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”