CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lizzytysh

Re: CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm not sure from where all the tears gather as I watch these videos; yet, as I sit at home watching, they have their own private time for expression. They had their moments at the concert, itself; yet, now at home, they are open and free, as my body moves instinctively into position and I sit at the edge of my seat, my mouth partially open, mesmerized, and tearful. Thank you to those of you who brought their equipment and preserved these songs for all of us to enjoy.

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

j6ppc wrote:
If anyone got 1000 kisses on video I'd be extremely grateful for it. The last strophe was I believe completely new but I believe I heard other changes in the body of the poem as well.
Here is my vid of:
A Thousand Kisses Deep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol7AJ7SUZXE

At the beginning, the audience was still wildly applauding the song before, "I'm Your Man". My apologies for the shaky video. My heart was racing and I was crying.

Jon: How about writing out the San Jose version and posting it for us all to enjoy.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, sturgess, I had the same sense when it came to Roscoe's contribution and I loved its being given the special attention it deserves 8) . With it, he lends a special sweetness of his own.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Arlene ~

The sound is sublime on your recording of A Thousand Kisses Deep.
Leonard in profile is perfect.

For posting this, my heart and I thank you. My soul thanks you, too.

Love,
Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman »

ladydi wrote:.... a very devoted (read.."slightly crazed") group of Forum women! :D ;-) 8) ....
read "certifiable" ....

The blouse throwing was certainly well planned and well executed and obviously extremely appreciated by Leonard and the band. Well done!!! I'm sorry that I couldn't be there for a wonderful end to the 2008 - 2009 World Tour. Looking forward to 2010 ....

Mike
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

10 concerts=crazy/loco-foco
20 concerts=insane
30 concerts=little men in white coats come to immediately take you away

(by some odd coincidence, i've only been to nine--it's always nice to run across someone who has been to more, so i can point to them and say "you're insane, whereas i am completely normal!" (i keep telling myself that)--oops, i've already signed on for three in France in March--time to revise the manual!!!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Haha. Funny distinctions you've made there, Goldstein. Interested to see your new manual. Will you come as close to any of your categories as you did this near-miss time?

Later, I'll attempt to write some of my own reactions to this time with Leonard and company in San Jose. Right now, the refrain I keep hearing is:

the day is half gone
and back here on the lawn
my obligations continue to drool...

Before I go any further, though, I want to profoundly thank Maarten for the exquisite name tag and inscribed necklace for hanging. It's every bit as beautiful as I knew it would be from the photo. Oh, the special gift he gave me. My only regret came with the realization that I never got a photo taken with him. No cameras around when we met and spoke. At these meet-ups, people tend to be multi-tasking and some things have no choice but to slip through the cracks, either through people you wanted to meet or speak more with or things you wished you had said or done. It seems to be the nature of brief times with many valued people.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Congratulations San Jose Cohen fans-you've done us all proud! Sure wish we could have been there to join you. Arlene & Albert, thank you so much for the videos, they make it come alive for us. The blouses were a great touch. Safe travels to all who are still on the road.

Goldstei, Anne & I have only been to eight concerts-so I guess that puts us well into normalcy (and all of our friends think we're crazy!).

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

sturgess66 wrote:Regarding the "Pleeeeeeeeeese" (TM Roscoe Beck) - isn't this the first time that he has received the spotlight treatment?
Probably because he was hatless and sporting his new sexy haircut. "The Kid", as LC called him in San Jose, is a Hunk! :D

At the Las Vegas concert, where Roscoe first appeared with his new sexy haircut, LC introduced him at the end of "Anthem" as:

Roscoe, The Kid is Back, Beck

sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

mirka wrote:
remote1 wrote: Thanks for pointing that out, I love that bit at 1.18! :razz: :razz:
I just noticed at this point Dino is laughing over Leonard seemingly lost for a while :razz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tioLvJ3DmUg

I wonder though if Leonard actually was lost - if he really did "lose his place." A while ago, I posted something that Roscoe has said in an article/interview - about how Leonard sometimes would pause in a song until he felt the timing was right - and that the arrangements of these songs allowed for just that to happen - a few bars of vamping by the band - and then Leonard would continue. (Something like that - I think that is what he said. If I can find the article again - I will edit here and add it.)

But what Leonard does is here is actually quite remarkable - IMO.

He sings the first verse during which there is a flurry of polka dots arriving on the stage.

And then there is a short "pause" the band vamps -

After which - he goes down to the last verse -
Yeah we're drinking and we're dancing
but there's nothing really happening
and the place is dead as Heaven on a Saturday night
And my very close companion
gets me fumbling gets me laughing
she's a hundred but she's wearing
something tight
and I lift my glass to the Awful Truth
which you can't reveal to the Ears of Youth
except to say it isn't worth a dime
And the whole damn place goes crazy twice
and it's once for the devil and once for Christ
but the Boss don't like these dizzy heights
we're busted in the blinding lights,
busted in the blinding lights
of CLOSING TIME
A verse with references to someone getting him fumbling and laughing, about dancing, about what someone is wearing (something tight :lol: ), about the whole damn place going crazy, and about being busted in the blinding lights. Whether this was his intent - I have no idea - But - pretty good lines for what has just happened. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And from there, he could easily have closed it out and just gone on to end of the song with "Here we go." Hey - it's his song, he wrote the words, it's his show - he can do whatever version he likes - short or long. (And I know he wrote all this - but just how in the name of God he manages to remember every word is mindboggling!!!)

Anyway - he doesn't just continue on to the end. No siree. Haha! Back up the ladder he goes. :lol: :lol: Next - back up to the verse #3, then followed by verse #2. He sings the whole damn song!!! Haha!

And THEN - down to the "here we go" fun ending!! Select lines with "It's closing time."

So while I guess one can wonder if he was lost (probably only he would know and even then, there may be no clear answer) - I'm not seeing it like that. I'm marveling at a very quick adjustment by Leonard - and taking a different path. Haha! :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) He came to an unexpected little happening along the road. A quick look and reaction - an adjustment - a little detour. He sidestepped, and wound around, and he came out right where he intended to go. Closing Time!! :lol: :lol: :lol: As Yogi Berra [allegedly] said "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." :lol:

Remarkable!!!
Last edited by sturgess66 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I just opened a new thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20002#p205589

Who Else Has A Crush on Roscoe THE KID Beck?
by bridger15 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:51 pm

The devil didn't make me open this thread. It was Joery Carenza who suggested this to me when I was carrying on about Roscoe's new sexy haircut.

So here it is everyone, a thread where we can say nice things exclusively about the sexy hunk, Roscoe The Kid Beck.

Does anyone have a good photo from either of LV ot SJ that we can post here?

---Arlene

rpan

Post by rpan »

http://twitpic.com/po6ge is jolly - but no good if the main purpose is to get a full view of the new hair-do
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Karana

San Jose concert acclaim

Post by Karana »

I'm wondering why I can't find any reviews for the San Jose concert last Friday. It was his final US concert, so what's the deal?

I've already seen all the great song clips posted on youtube, but can't find the San Jose Mercury News' concert review.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Haven't had time to watch all the videos but Albert what a great video of Closing Time :lol: He will never be able to sing that song again without thinking of San Jose. Absolutely brillant!!!!!
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

rpan wrote:http://twitpic.com/po6ge is jolly - but no good if the main purpose is to get a full view of the new hair-do
Good point. :D

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”