CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

Post by jarkko »

FROM LEONARD:
Dear Jarkko

Please thank all our friends
for the beautiful shower of polka dots

that we danced upon
in San Jose and over the many years before

when our step was not so high

With deep appreciation
Leonard
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

jarkko wrote:FROM LEONARD:
Dear Jarkko

Please thank all our friends
for the beautiful shower of polka dots

that we danced upon
in San Jose and over the many years before

when our step was not so high

With deep appreciation
Leonard

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

Wow! Image
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by IrishMar »

Isn't that a lovely message to get. As one of his many friends I am delighted to hear Leonard enjoyed the moment as much as we did :D
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

This on top of the acknowledgement given to the forum at both the Barcelona and Las Vegas concerts is very special and if I may speak for all here, means a lot to us.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Mollydog wrote:Wow! Image

You took the word right out of my mouth Mary! That's exactly what I was going to put ...

Wendy
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Oh my heavens...be still my heart! I learned of this from a phone call and just now came on the Forum.

I think that "at that moment" in San Jose we ALL knew that not only were we having fun....but so was Leonard...and the band! And now to have him acknowledge it!! This, along with "thanks for the lights friends" is so moving for me! There will be future concerts...and future concerts that are unforgettable....but, for those of us who were there, we will always have San Jose in our hearts!

Dear Leonard, I think you must know by now that you have a somewhat wild, funny, fiercely passionate group of American/Canadian/German/Irish/Israeli/Czech/British/Finnish women (er, there are others but they weren't in San Jose) who love you with abandon!

Credit for the original blouse idea MUST be given to our beautiful mnkyface (Esther) who surprised you in Oakland! This was followed up by the CIA-inspired planning of MaryB, in collusion with many others, which culminated in your awesome "Closing Time".....we wanted to make sure you had a "closing time" in America that you would NEVER forget!

Jarkko...thanks so much for forwarding Leonard's wonderful remarks to us, and I hope he will have the opportunity to read our comments also!

:D :D :D :D :D

ps...Marsha....YES! so very very special to have the importance of the Forum reaffirmed, not just once, but twice by Leonard!
Last edited by ladydi on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Such a beautiful thank you from Leonard 8) . Thank you for that, Leonard :D . I love how he's included his gratitude for the many years preceding.

And Leonard also said, "Thanks for the lights, friends... " in San Jose :D .

I'll give it a WoW, too... it definitely has the WoW factor :D !

Thank you, Jarkko :D !!! Thanks to the originator[s] 8) and the perpetrators ;-) .

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

You didn’t really think I’m not going to write anything about the concert, did you?...
I returned last night from a week in NYC that was mostly offline (to the very shock of yours truly and her friends…), wrapping up an amazing, memorable and long birthday celebration.

Courtesy of my jet lag and finding myself wide awake at 4 AM, I thought I might as well sit down, flip through the reports and write my long awaited one.

In the spirit of Thanks Giving, although I am not American, I’ll use the opportunity to pay some thank you dues (and pardon me if this post is going to turn out long):
• I am so grateful to have been able to make the trip from Israel to SJ. I couldn’t have asked for a better birthday present (and people can call me crazy till my next birthday..)
• First and foremost thanks goes to the one and only MaryB, thanks to whom I was able to nail a front row center ticket. I wouldn’t have been able to have the experience I had without you, and I’m so grateful.
• Thanks Jarkko for all the amazing work you’re doing, it was great to finally meet you.
• Thanks Maarten for the beautiful nametags you made.
• Thanks to all the forum members I got to meet in person for the first time, for giving me such warm welcome.
• Thanks to the pre and post concert meet-ups organizers.
• Thanks Leslie for the glow lights – they reminded me so much of Tel Aviv, where we had them glow the entire concert.
• Thanks to the ‘Magnificent Four’ who skillfully and secretly orchestrated operation: “blouse tossing” – thanks to you, this concert won its unforgettable moment.
• Big thanks to my teammates of the flying polka dots squad – you rocked!!! Leonard’s smile at the sight of the flying shirts was priceless and just as adorable was his loosing his place in the song (at first I thought all that blouse tossing made me forget the lyrics..)
• Thanks Arlene for your beautiful presentation. Yes, I chocked on watching that photo where I look like a complete “mishugene”, but what the heck, I did go wild during ‘closing time’ :D :D :D (I finally got to dance, we Israelis are warm blooded, dancing lovers, we need our fix during concerts…)
• Thanks Albert for your exquisite vids and to all the other photographers for the great tracks that keep this concert a living memory. I don’t think I can ever watch ‘Closing Time’ and the blouse tossing or ‘I Tried to Leave You’ too many times. Watching Dino crack up when Leonard lost his place in the song is priceless.

This was only my 2nd concert (though if you count YouTube, then I’ve been to more than a few..)
Sitting on the 1st row, watching the talents outburst in front of my very own eyes was breathtaking. Their body language, completely in sync with the music, it was more than listening to the music and watching them in action, I could feel them playing from the bottom of their hearts, giving life to each and every note, word, phrase. The way they communicate with one another, the way the communicate with Leonard- it’s almost invisible, yet it’s so magnetically there.
‘I Tried to leave You’ was a display of pure talent and joy of all band members and I didn’t want it to end – I saw Dino preparing himself to sit on that monitor and was thinking to myself “what’s he up to?”, when he started his solo, the spotlight was still at his usual post and only when he knelt it found him down there – truly priceless.
• When you tell people that members of the band are coming out to the foyer before concerts to meet the fans they give that look of “seriously???” – it was great meeting Rafael Gayol, Roscoe Beck and Hattie Webb in the foyer of the HP. Thanks for being so nice and welcoming and for sharing your Tel Aviv concert feelings with me.
• Thanks Roscoe for letting me buy you a drink and the wonderful interesting conversation at that wee hour in the Fairmont's bar. Being able to learn about the personal side of a great artist whose talent you admire is a privilege. I would have a drink with you any day! And yes, definitely keep the hair short - looks fantastic!
• I guess I should be grateful for forgetting my scarf behind at the bar of the Fairmont. when I came looking for it the next morning, meeting Vlasta and Bill’s Bar at the lobby, I got to speak with the lovely Sharon and then a very short but precious & memorable moment with Leonard, a quick tour book signing and off he went on his way (no photos – he was in a hurry to leave and I wasn’t about to get in his way more than I did)
• btw, the scarf was found – the hotel staff actually neatly folded it, packed it and tagged it as if it was fragile glass, not a beloved wool garment- I couldn’t believe it.

I’m uploading a few photos and will upload more in the next days.

I don’t know when my next concert will be, I only know there will be a future one or future ones.
So till our paths cross again, have a fantastic Thanks Giving if you’re In the U.S, and if you’re not, be thankful anyway, life is beautiful.

Got 2 hours to (try and go back to) sleep, ciao.

--Sharon

EDIT: Saw LC's thank you note on the blouse tossing just now. some timing i've got...ha.. all I can say is that the man is in a league of his own. always will be.
LC
LC
Roscoe "the kid" beck
Roscoe "the kid" beck
Dino Soldo glowing in the dark
Dino Soldo glowing in the dark
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Last edited by donalagata on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
graham.putt

Post by graham.putt »

Hi all,

How fantastic to get that message from the man himself, I could see that he enjoyed it from the big smile on his face! I have not seen the videos of the night yet but look forward to watching them. Cant watch Youtube here at work (and i am the only IT manager that doesnt have a computer at home!) so I will have to find access another way.

Great to meet up with so many forumers in Vegas and San Jose. Thanks to all for organising the catch ups, it made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the trip and the shows.

The polka dots were one highlight of many in a fantastic trip. I went on to San Francisco after San Jose and enjoyed that also.

Thanks and all the best! Hopefully we shall meet again at a future concert!
graham
If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn
They will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem

Sydney Jan 09, Las Vegas Nov 09, San Jose Nov 09, Auck Oct 10, Wgtn Nov 10, Chch Nov 10, Syd Nov 10, Auck Dec 13
Vlastik

Post by Vlastik »

Truly beautiful!!

Thanks to our man and, of course, Jarkko for posting it.
mirka

Post by mirka »

So cool of Mr. Cohen to write a thank you note to his fans :D :D
Jarkko, thanks again for making all of this possible....
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Conny

Post by Conny »

Mollydog wrote:Wow! Image
So it is!
And special thanks to Jarkko for sharing!
1976&79: Frankfurt| 2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankf./Hamburg/Oberhausen| 2009: Cologne/Berlin/Colmar/Barcelona/Vegas/S.José| 2010: Salzburg/Berlin/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseille/Hannover/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warsaw/Vegas
2012: Gent/Amsterdam/Berlin/London/Dublin/Verona/Toulon/Paris/Barcelona/Madrid
2013: Paris/Antwerp/Mannheim/Brussels/Rome/Lucca/Berlin/Lodz/Prague/Vienna/Pula/Odense/Manchester/Leeds/London/Rotterdam/Amsterdam

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”