POLL: Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)

Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

Poll ended at Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Ray of Lights Band Design
50%
The Guitar Design
4%
Band with Unified Hearts Design
46%

Total votes: 135
MarieM

Re: POLL: Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

Post by MarieM »

Stupid question but is it too late to submit a photo for this?
Not a stupid question at all. Information on how to submit your photos should be posted today or tomorrow.

Marie
Marie
Speaking Cohen
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

Oh thanks!......most of the pics i have of myself are of the "drunk with buddies" variety on Facebook :) its proving quite difficult to find one i wouldnt be embarrassed to use for this thing!

Cheers
Inna

Post by Inna »

I voted for the Unified Heart design, although all three ideas are wonderful.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What IS the deadline?

And, now I'm off to find the three designs, so I can return here and vote.

Ooooooo... tough call. I like the drama in the first one and the feeling of warmth in the last. Even though both have Leonard in them, they also have the band, which will evoke many memories for Leonard. So, I don't see his being there as a reason for not going that route.

With having read that Leonard's favourite colour is blue, and remembering his brown suits, the first one has the elegance of the simpler design and 'his' colours. I like the modern-representation treatment of the band members in it. The only thing that bothers me about it is the orange of the logos. I liked it best when it was one logo, the unified hearts... and I don't recall its having been orange. For me, it was elegant when it was just the one and now it looks cluttered up there on the left and the orange looks opaque, which gives it even moreso a cluttered effect, like they're sitting on TOP of the rest of the picture. I feel it should be just the one logo and be thinner, more subtle, and in a cool colour. I also REALLY like that it has the signature from 'us'. Maybe a burgundy colour for the logo and signature, like what's just above it, near Javier's feet. Finally, I like the shaft of that heavenly blue light coming in on Leonard. It seems that Leonard would appreciate the design and colouring in this one for their own sake, and then here comes the band and us. It's a very strong design. Overall, it's both literally and figuratively "COOL".

What I like about the last one is that ALL the band members are present and they're real photos of everyone. As I already mentioned, I like the warm feeling of it, too... and I LOVE the large, unified hearts overhead... it also fits what the band is below. I love it that Leonard is doffing his hat... and that the whole of the picture is supported by fans clapping. Again, with regard to the entire band being in this one, these are Leonard's memories, too. Perhaps, he'd like to look at photos of people he knows and loves, along with those he appreciates. I think it's really well done with the white light, red light, and pinkish-orangeish light coming together in it. It's warm and loving.

What I like about the second one are the placement of the logos, the guitar split by colour, and the shaft. It just doesn't happen to have aspects that are compelling enough for me to want to vote for it over the other two. The other two are more personal all the way around, incorporating both the band and us.

I've no idea how I'll vote, but I feel that whoever said do both with the first and the second is right. SERIOUSLY. Companion pieces.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

What a good idea Lizzy...Is it possible we do both the 1st and 3rd one?
2 gifts...
Its kind of crazy but hey...
Mutti
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I like the idea also. Would this be possible?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

If we were able to do the 2 mosaics there would be room for even more Forum members photos! :D
Laura

Post by Laura »

Paula: Not sure exactly what you're asking about, but in all 3 versions, the photos of the band and the various signs are added on top of the mosaic photos. That's why it took so long to make, because what had started as a simple mosaic idea became a whole Photoshop endeavour! ;-)

Lizzy: Do you read people's minds? You are actually not the first one to tell me the corner with the signs seems somehow "cluttered"; but even though the objection came from someone whose opinion I really apreciate, I didn't give up. ;-) I think it's hard to imagine that these images will be poster-sized, and everything will look quite differently then. I printed that corner as a trial, on the right size, and every sign was about 5cm big! I think that's large enough to be seen very clearly, but not too big; I don't like the idea of having just one huge United Hearts sign.

Ladydi: One mosaic has about 550 individual photos in it. Because some photos are covered with the various signs and band members photos, I think each photo should be repeated at least twice, to ensure everyone will be seen. So that would leave us with about 250 people in it. We should see if that's enough or not.

Laura
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Thanks Laura, The 250 photos should work just fine. I doubt all 17,000 plus members of the Forum will want to forward photos ;-) . If they do then you guys certainly will have your work cut out for you!
Paula

Post by Paula »

You answered the question for me Laura I was not sure if the photos of Leonard and the band were actually photos or were made up of a mosaic of other photos, thanks.

A lot of hard work has been done by all who entered a design and they are all good I am happy with which ever is chosen. Thanks on behalf of those who did not have the expertise to do it.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
JacquelineR

Post by JacquelineR »

Thanks so much to everyone who worked on this. These are wonderful! I like the first and third for different reasons. It's hard to estimate how many people will send in photos. If more pictures arrive than will fit into one mosaic it might that bring a reason to use both designs.

Warm regards,
Jacqueline
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I never imagined a large unified hearts symbol in the corner, just a small one, the size of those already there. Subtle. I [believe I] remember seeing it done that way, originally, and then the others were added. Thankfully, the same objection came from someone whose opinion you really appreciate. At least it has a fighting chance :lol: . The other three logos have real thicknesses in them, so they take on an impression of having blobs of opaque orange. I much prefer the delicacy of the unified hearts... that's sufficient to convey Leonard. Otherwise, where is the unified hearts plus hands, etc.? I don't feel it's necessary to pack every symbol into these... less is more.

Especially if it's being done as a trial, it's crucial, since these are the images we're actually voting on.

[Why the h... can't I get back to Page 1!?!]
~ Oscar Wilde
Laura

Post by Laura »

lizzytysh wrote: Thankfully, the same objection came from someone whose opinion you really appreciate. At least it has a fighting chance :lol: .
Lizzy, don't take it personally... There are people who are more special for me than others ;-) But even so, first I try things, but finally I only listen to what I feel it works. Before I posted it, I discussed that drawing with a few friends, and I applied some of their suggestions-and didn't apply others. I did try the only-the-United-Hearts version too, but I felt the 4 signs work better. The version that had only the United Hearts had a much bigger sign (as otherwise it would look too tiny in all that space). You can see all versions here: http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x199 ... 20project/
There are larger images there too, so perhaps you'll feel them less like "blobs". As I said, consider the size of the final image. It will be BIG!

Laura
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

I love "simple 5" and "simple background 2" most.
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Lizzy, don't take it personally... There are people who are more special for me than others ;-)
It wasn't about taking it personally, Laura. It was about finding it funny that you even went there. You're not unique in having people who are more special for you than others. We're all like that... hopefully. If not, well, then there's a problem ;-) .
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”