POLL: Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)

Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

Poll ended at Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Ray of Lights Band Design
50%
The Guitar Design
4%
Band with Unified Hearts Design
46%

Total votes: 135
friscogrl

Re: POLL: Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

Post by friscogrl »

I am just thinking that one image would be cleaner and more special. I think as Lizzy stated earlier that having two takes away from both images. Also leonard seems to be a minimalist. I think two is just one too many. Whichever one gets the most votes is the one that should be used. And it is not a slight to the artist whose image was not chosen, they are both really good.

Your truly,

friscogrrrrrrl
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

friscogirl wrote:
I am just thinking that one image would be cleaner and more special. I think as Lizzy stated earlier that having two takes away from both images. Also leonard seems to be a minimalist. I think two is just one too many. Whichever one gets the most votes is the one that should be used. And it is not a slight to the artist whose image was not chosen, they are both really good.
Yes I agree with all this. Its very difficult to decide especially in this situation when we aren't actually meeting. I just think doing one is more special & we should go with the one that gets the most votes.
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I strongly support the Ray of Light, not just because it is so simple and direct, and illustrates beautifully how the light gets in, but also because, if Laura is going to be doing the work on the finished article, it is reasonable that we select one of her designs. There won't be much joy for her doing all that hard work for Leonard's 75th if she has to follow someone else's design.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Paula

Post by Paula »

Is Laura going to be doing all the finished work I will change my vote I was undecided and that unified heart is just in your face as opposed to Laura's which has no face :lol:

They are all really really good but I will change to ray of light.

Joe thank you so much I was searching the grim recesses of my mind to think what song it was. That has made me feel really old and I had forgotten he paraphases.

OK how do you change your vote?
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Paula wrote:Is Laura going to be doing all the finished work I will change my vote I was undecided and that unified heart is just in your face as opposed to Laura's which has no face :lol:

They are all really really good but I will change to ray of light.

Joe thank you so much I was searching the grim recesses of my mind to think what song it was. That has made me feel really old and I had forgotten he paraphases.

OK how do you change your vote?
Paula,

this is what Marie has written about recasting votes earlier in this thread:

"How to recast your vote --

Just click on a new circle to select a different design, then click on the submit vote button. When it says "your vote has been cast" hit the link that returns you to the page. DO NOT USE YOUR BROWSER'S BACK BUTTON because the page needs to be refreshed with your changed vote.

---------------------
Edit: Several people now report they can't change their vote. I don't know why there is a problem. But...I guess we have to vote with care. You have until Tuesday if you need to think about it
".
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Paula ~ I wonder if they might accept a verbal change from you.

I love the symbolism in Laura's. Leonard's work is filled with it. For Leonard, I love its colours and I feel he would love its minimalism.

It also has his logos; even though they're not in my preferred format, perhaps that will change.

Pam's is rich and beautiful; yet, when I look at the two, I can envision Laura's actually hanging in Leonard's home and blending with his surroundings. He and his band are bathed in the light. It's very tasteful, yet on the edge in a very good way... progressive like Leonard has always been. Its being a mosaic with all of our photos is secondary to the composition and its being a work of art, as I feel it ought to be. Laura's architectural background comes through in it in a very pleasing way. It's very balanced.

Laura's being the one to bring it all together is certainly a factor for consideration.

I'm not gunning for you, Pam :D . I feel yours is, as I said rich and beautiful and very much like you [and I could see the joy of it as being something I'd want to hang in my own home... if that unifed hearts symbol was smaller ;-) ]... for Leonard, though, if I have to go with only one, my vote for Laura's must remain in place.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hi everyone.

There is a reason why designs were posted here without names; because the idea was to vote for a drawing, not for a person. It is normal that the one who is not chosen will be hurt, because we both invested a lot of time and effort in it. I can't say I'm not hurting. But this is about a gift made for Cohen, with friendship and generosity, and with the help of everyone here. This is why everyone was called to vote; if it was just my personal choice, even between my own designs, I'd have prefered the guitar. But it is about everyone's choice. I am really sorry it has turned into a competition. I am really sorry I let my own personal feelings go ahead of the purpose of this project (and yes, I did try sometimes to explain to people why my design would work better-but only to friends, and in private! Probably I shouldn't have done even that, but well, we're human ;-) ).

Please keep in mind the final end of this project, the moment when Cohen will receive the poster that we made, and NOT who will do what. About the organisational part of this, I can honestly say that I'm not totally sure myself, at this moment.

Laura
Paula

Post by Paula »

Thanks Womanfroma room I did see that instruction but I have no idea where the circle is that you are meant to click on.

Laura I am not voting for a person I am voting for a design and I love all of the designs but that Unified Heart just takes over the page for me and the Ray of Light the only problem I have is it is faceless but that is sematics and just a personal view. So thinking it through logically and much as I would like to see a double-sided poster I don't think it would work I have decided to vote for the Ray of Light.

Marie how do I change my vote please the instructions you gave don't seem to work.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Thank you Laura, for your wise words and explanation. I would agree that this was not meant to be a competition. We are voting for the design that we think Leonard would like.

As for changing your vote, the reason you can't see the circles is the reason you can't change your vote. When you set up a poll there is an option, "If enabled users are able to change their vote." I checked that but it still won't let folks change their vote. So, as much as I hate to do this, if you want to change your vote, PM me and tell me what you voted for and what you what to change to. Remember, you are supposed to be voting with Leonard in mind.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You are, of course, absolutely right, Laura, in all that you're saying about the spirit of the gift. It is not about the person who created it, but the person it is for... it's important that that point be made and no one better to make it at this juncture than you. Earlier on, weren't the names attached to the ideas, as we were talking about them, before they went to a poll??

Since Pam encouraged us to keep talking, however... well, I'm keeping talking ;-) .

I am voting for the design. I've met both you and Pam... I liked you both and I am voting for the design.

When I look at Pam's design, I think of her; it is bright and sunshine-y and makes me smile; it's consistent with the person I met and even her avatar here. It's a happy design :D . In fact, her design doesn't just remind me of her, it also reminds me of you. I can see you in its colours, details, and flourishes. It is opulent in its presentation :D .

When I look at your design, I think of Leonard 8) . When I consider how Pam's design reminds me of you, and having met you on several occasions and knowing your colourful ways of dress and creation of and ornamentation with jewelry, I think of how much you clearly focused on this gift as being for Leonard, and being presented in a way that is consistent with him. It reminds me of how the 'traditional' colour for people to wear has become black. It suits the gravitas of his body of work, the course of his life, and his being 75. The creativity that allowed for your design has to be 'you'; but the outcome, the final product is Leonard 8) . It captures his seriousness, his depth, and his light... in a presentation that suits him... his minimalism.

I very seriously believe Leonard would appreciate the artistic effort you put into it to take it beyond where it began. The result has the look and feeling of a classic... and who better to appreciate that than Leonard in a gift for him. [Even though you still oughta do something with those orange logos :) .]

With these posters, I think in terms of what the portrait artists and portrait photographers always tell you [and I always hate it because I look dreadful without a smile]... a non-smiling [or only hint of a smile], more serious portrait always wears better and wears longer. You see it in every official and unofficial, hanging portrait.

If they are not both to be given to Leonard in some way, my preference is for yours to be the final gift to him. Because Pam's is so bright and beautiful [with smaller hearts ;-) ], what I would really like to see is that both be posted in the Files for everyone to appreciate, henceforth, once they're completed. Perhaps, the do-er of them [since, according to what you've written, it doesn't seem to necessarily be you] would finish one 'in time' for presentation to Leonard, and the other one somewhat soon after... or, perhaps, each could do their own.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

I think the final design should be completed by the person who made the design. I figured Laura was chosen to do it because she is in Europe but with digital files that doesn't matter. Nobody asked me about it. I would like to do it.
The design should be judged by the design and there is a little bit of both of us in both designs since we worked together on this. My design is happy because that is what it is like to be at a concert -joyfully, gloriously happy and it is Leonard Cohen who is creating that happiness. "Cheerfulness keeps breaking through".
Pam
Last edited by redstudio on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
thedeadpoet

Post by thedeadpoet »

For me, the 'Band with Unified Hearts' Design is the most striking of all - although I believe some elements from the other works such as the ray of light illuminating both Leonard and the band and the mentioning of the various events of the world tour on the 'Guitar Design' to be equally attention grabbing. Ideally, a mixture of these ideas should be included in final draft.

RD
Laura

Post by Laura »

Paula wrote: unified heart is just in your face as opposed to Laura's which has no face :lol:
Paula, you are a merciful soul. ;-) I have a friend who told me that Cohen and the band outlined in white look like skeletons! (I'm still meditating on that problem) Really, I think I've been going through the tortures of hell with this design! ;-)
The reason why they are "faceless" is the discussion that went on here for a long time, about whatever Cohen would like to receive a photo of himself for his birthday. I still think he wouldn't, and I tried to avoid that as much as possible; maybe even too much.

Laura
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I have never, as yet, had the priviledge of meeting either of these two very talented, artistic ladies, Laura and Pam. Therefore, when I voted, I did so for the design, a somewhat difficult choice.

My choice has always favored the Unified Heart with the Band. After all, this is the Unified Heart Touring Company. The unified heart is a key element in LC's life, why shouldn't it be in this mosaic? The picture of the band in this mosaic captures all the key players to perfection. In the other, some of the key players are missing on the bottom. These are the people he will mainly be celebrating with on this mometous occasion. They should be in this prominent and clear position on the mosaic. Our photos reaffirm our celebrating his life with him and the band. In this LC is happy, this mosaic makes me feel happy.

We have been asked to submit a color photo. The Ray of Life then will not retain that minimalist look unless all the photos are then converted to B&W.

Do we want the whole band included in the bottom? I think they definitely should be. That was my main deciding factor.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Forgot to mention - I think the person whose mosaic is chosen should be the one to see it to fruition.

Still like the idea of both of them. Has this been even seriously considered? They both have such great artistic merit!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”