Mosaic Main Photo Discussion

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
redstudio

Re: Mosaic Main Photo Discussion

Post by redstudio »

ladydi wrote:Pam, your latest mosaic is breathtaking! Tons of colour and it encompasses everyone on stage. Would be interesting to see how it translates to small photos but it is lovely! You and Laura are simply amazing!

All the best,
Diana
This is a close up showing the individual photos. They can be made larger than this (depending on how many we get)and not lose detail since the band is superimposed on top of them. I will be out of town this week and don't know how often I will be able to check in. Pam
close.jpg
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Beautiful Pam...nice work! Enjoy your time off....you deserve it!
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Personally, I still prefer Laura's light getting in. It has the advantage of simplicity, which I think is important if it is going to carry a host of photos in the mosaic.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Laura

Post by Laura »

Pam, I really like your colours! I admit I got inspired by that to play more with colours in my previous drawing; here is the result:

Hmm, I'm not sure if I didn't play a bit too much, I was feeling a bit silly... ;-) What I still want is to have an image in which Cohen and the band members are just "shadows"; so the problem if he would like to look at himself all the time is avoided...
Hydriot: thank you very much. You guessed very well; "there is a crack in everything"... is what I had in mind! (and when I first made the image, I actually cut a stripe into the mosaic background-through which you can see the photos of the band members)

Ladydi: Yes, they are the Antwerp photos. Maarten is such a good photographer, I couldn't resist, I stole his images. ;-) Though I simply can't imagine how it could have been so hot in Belgium... remembering my experience with the concert in Bruges last year (which was also in july!)

Laura
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Laura

I absolutely love your latest suggestion. It picks up the elements of previous versions which we all loved - the band picture, the unified hearts logo and the spotlights etc - without becoming cluttered by detail and leaves plenty of room for us to add our message.

I loved Pam's most recent version too. You are both very talented people! I would be very happy to go with either option.

Wendy
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Don't know, they are both very good ones - Pam's as well as Laura's. Personally, I would be happy with any of them! Thank you, both of you - seeing the great results of your work is really most interesting! ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Laura,

That is so beautiful! In fact, positively celestial ;-) I'm with Ann though...the last couple of offerings from you and Pam are excellent. I think we may be getting close to deciding on a final mosaic pattern, although I don't know who will be the one to make the final decision! Then we can move on to ALL the little photographs :D

All the best,
Diana
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

I think both designs would work and there may be a vote for the final decision. While we finish up on our designs we could start figuring out how to go about sending in the fan photos.Thanks for all the comments, that way everyone takes part. Pam
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Laura and Pam, both of these mosaics are wonderful. I am sure in the end we will be able to give Leonard a gift that is truly special.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I like them both... at this point, however, I'm really drawn to all the design elements and colour differences in the last one by Laura. It just seems to 'work' in an equally balanced and interesting way. [The only thing I see that I would prefer to be different is that the main shaft of 'light' be something other than brown.]

I'm not sure about the mottling in the faces on the most recent one of yours, Pam. What is that all about?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Lizzy,

I think that this is just what will happen invariably if you enlarge the pictures to such a degree as Pam has done... So nothing to worry about, as far as I can tell! ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Kiwi56

Post by Kiwi56 »

I also think, both pictures are wonderful! What a great job, Laura and Pam!!!
If there is no decision, maybe you could toss a coin for it ;-)?
That's a really tough call.
2008 Lörrach,Oberhausen,2009 Dublin, 2010 Stuttgart, 2012Verona
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

I've been following this thread with great interest. Well done on all efforts. Each image can stand alone as
a final choice, but, if forced to decide, I would go with Laura's first attempt with Leonard singing Suzanne
(but maybe with a slightly clearer image of Leonard?).
It's stunning. It could pass for an official concert poster!

Eric.

P.S. I also believe we should do both mosaic and video.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I too would vote for Laura's first effort viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15649&st=0&sk=t&sd ... 90#p180304 .

I believe simplicity is a grace, and is a much under-valued commodity. Laura's first effort retains the simplicity of the original photo. Specifically, I think all the rays of light should be the same colour (though I do like the darker blue of the ray dedicated to band- members).
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
mutti

Post by mutti »

hydriot I find that one too busy...its interesting how we all see these things.
I actually love the last one Laura posted with the blue on the bottom.
AND I am fine with whatever the group picks as they are all perfect and sublime...
and I am so grateful as I could never ever do such beautiful work for the mosaic.
Thank you!
Mutti
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”