Chelsea Hotel Plaque

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Giulia

Re: Chelsea Hotel Plaque

Post by Giulia »

lightning wrote:Here's some filmed footage of the plaque, Dick, Esther, and the crowd that was there to see it-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpA0RAd9BbM

Thank you so much all, for this wonderfull movie. And Dick, are you the man with the beard? Nice to meet you ;-)
It was like i was there as well, loving it. Is it possible to send the participants ( is this the rite word) for the plaque, a photo by email?
Since you have the adresses of us, or is this a silly question? I hope it is possible, please let us/me know.
With lots of love and greetz to all,

Giulia ;-)
Leonard 77, 21 of september 78, and still the greatest of all times

In my secret live.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Giulia wrote:
lightning wrote:Here's some filmed footage of the plaque, Dick, Esther, and the crowd that was there to see it-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpA0RAd9BbM
Is it possible to send the participants ( is this the rite word) for the plaque, a photo by email?
Since you have the adresses of us, or is this a silly question? I hope it is possible, please let us/me know.
With lots of love and greetz to all,

Giulia ;-)
Hi Giulia, there are two sets of photos of the event, one is at http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/alb ... urce=pw980 and consists of photos taken by Dick's wife, and the other is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/39568202@N05/ and consists of photos taken by my friend Andrea.
If you look back a few pages on this thread, there are also links to more video: a link posted by lightning to a longer piece of video, and three youtube links posted by me. Together the videos provide a pretty accurate picture of the event. There is also a link (posted by me) to a website which has the pdf of the program, including the donor names. (You need to go back to about page 20.) Let me know by pm if you can't find what you're looking for and I'll send the links to you directly.
Sue
JacquelineR

Post by JacquelineR »

Thanks to everyone who made this happen. I was honored to attend, and great to see the pictures.

Send sweetness.
Jacqueline
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

The plaque was mentioned on the CBC Radio 2 program Drive this afternoon. The host Rich Terfry got the facts a bit wrong as he thought it was happening today. Of course he played Chelsea Hotel #2 after talking about it. Rich Terfry is a Canadian musician who loves Cohen and says he has been influenced by his music.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/programs/r2drive/host.html
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
dick

Post by dick »

For those who get used to depending more on the forum than on the main files, a new plaque story page was added today.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/ch-plaque.html

Thanks again all!

Dick
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Dick! what a great post.
looks like it was a lovely reception and the plaque looks beautiful!
Leslie (Mutti) :lol:
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
blixa

Post by blixa »

I want to thank Dick, Sue, and all the other members of the forum for their dedication. This spring I will walk down that road, stop by the entrance and remember you all. It is a priviledge to be a member of such a noble family. Thank you all for letting me in.
da2008

Post by da2008 »

Sorry for the delay, but here are some photos from the reception. My apologies for the quality - I never had time to edit these pictures and am posting them as is. I'm just afraid that if I don't do it now I won't do it all. Once again, it was a great pleasure meeting you all!!

trish

Post by trish »

Great photos da2008! Many thanks for posting! As time goes on we are getting settled back into the old routing (apart from the excitement of the 2010 tour!!) so it's great to get an opportunity to relive the great day we had :)
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Lovely photos. Would have loved to be there. Esther has the same sweet smile that Leonard has. :)
sue7

Post by sue7 »

http://www.chelseanow.com/articles/2009 ... 655480.txt

Leonard Cohen immortalized on 23rd St.
Published: Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:46 PM CST
By Patrick Hedlund

The Chelsea Hotel unveiled its newest plaque to honor a distinguished guest on Fri., Oct. 23, commemorating the pioneering poet/songwriter Leonard Cohen.

Cohen, who wrote about the legendary lodge in his song “Chelsea Hotel #2,” which detailed a dalliance with the late Janis Joplin, stayed at the hotel frequently during the 1960s and ’70s.

The plaque was designed and paid for by the Leonard Cohen Forum, a joint message board hosted by two Web sites, LeonardCohenFiles.com and SpeakingCohen.com. Forum member Dick Straub coordinated the plaque’s acquisition, and conducted the dedication ceremony with Leonard’s sister, Esther Cohen.

The forum accepted donations from fans around the world to pay for the plaque. Any additional contributions were donated to the Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace, which Cohen established to aid peace efforts in Israel and Palestine.

“There’s few things that the Chelsea Hotel owners agree on,” said hotel manager/stakeholder David Elder at the presentation, “but this one was unanimous.”

Cohen himself did not attend the event, as he was preparing for his concert that night at Madison Square Garden. The plaque’s inscription for the iconic musician, who turned 75 last month, quotes lyrics from his 1974 ode to the Chelsea, reading: “I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel…”

The plaque joins an august group of former tenants immortalized at the entrance to the W. 23rd St. landmark, including Arthur Miller, Dylan Thomas, Brendan Behan, Shirley Clarke, Thomas Wolfe and Arthur C. Clarke.
maltmom

Post by maltmom »

Dick, Sue, Len from Montreal ~ just received and watched my plaque dedication cd and WOW!!! Thanks so much for memorializing this wonderful event. The cd is great. Thank you for all the work you did to make this happen. The event, meeting Esther and Robert Kory, Leonard's concert at MSG and staying at the Chelsea Hotel was a memorable day that will not soon be forgotten. :) Lorraine
NYC-MSG – 2012, Las Vegas -2010, MSG - 2009, Philadelphia - 2009, Philadelphia – 1993, Philadelphia – 1988, Philadelphia – 1985, Philadelphia-Main Point - 1975
maltmom

Post by maltmom »

And, I've finally posted my pics from the plaque ceremony. Concert pics to come from Philly and MSG. http://www.flickr.com/photos/malteseowner/?saved=1
Lorraine
NYC-MSG – 2012, Las Vegas -2010, MSG - 2009, Philadelphia - 2009, Philadelphia – 1993, Philadelphia – 1988, Philadelphia – 1985, Philadelphia-Main Point - 1975
lightning

Post by lightning »

Here are some more stills on Flickr. I didn't know who was in the picture, but if you see yourself, tell me so I can add a description to the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26075257@N07/?saved=1
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Such a great flurry of photos, da, maltmom, and lightning! Esther is such a beautiful woman with a phenomenally sweet spirit. Such a pleasure to speak with her.

Thanks for the photos all of you!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”