CONCERT REPORT: Barcelona, September 21 (Leonard's birthday)

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sue7

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Barcelona, September 21 (Leonard's birthday)

Post by sue7 »

Thank you so much, everyone, for the reports so far, the twitterings and even the extremely "vague" Youtube videos. Even those few moments of the recitation of the first verse of Anthem, in all their fuzziness, were amazing.
Looking forward to more video, hopefully of better quality.
Wonderful to read your post, BloodBrother.
What a night it must have been...
PanCogito

Post by PanCogito »

Di –
When I was sending get-well wishes to Leo, I wrote: “eat only fine food” but I wanted to say:”eat only apples dipped in honey this evening’. Remember that it was during Rosh Hashanah, which started this year with sunset, September 18 (Friday) and ended with sunset, September 20 (Sunday). During that time, if you are observant Jew, you pray in synagogue, hearing the shofar (see the picture I attached in my other post) and eat challah bread and APPLES DIPPED IN HONNEY and other fruits. As a matter of fact I did not try this tsimmes yet, but I love apples and I love honey so their combinations must be is even more sweet than chocolate. I love that blessing: “May you life be sweet like apples dipped in honey!” I just love it!

Roman
kind regards -דרישת שלום
roman - pan cogito- מר קוגיטו
העובדה שאני שותק לא אומרת שאין לי מה להגיד - The fact that I am being silent doesn't mean that I have nothing to say
|1985Wroclaw|1988Stuttgart|2008Montreal|2009 New York RC| MSG|Red Rocks |Las Vegas |2012Aalborg| Denver|Chicago|2013Milwaukee
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Not that anyone should have considered it might be otherwise; yet, I'm still so happy that tonight went so beautifully.

Leonard Cohen... lean and strong.

With a love reserved only for you,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
honey604

Post by honey604 »

To Blood Brother...

Thank you for your heartfelt posting! I felt so much like you the first time I attended a Leonard Cohen concert (last year, Montreal) and I know the memory of tonight will stay with you for a long time. Mine did! And continues, as I'm sure it always will....

Honey604
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A snippet - a very little snippet - of "Hallelujah" - but the sound is there- and the stage looks glorious.

From "macavity29" on YouTube -
Small portion of this beautiful Leonard Cohen song of the master. For many years and for many years and we can see again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxC42Zcc4Zw
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Jarkko's message over the mobile, 3 a.m.:
Fantastic concert, one of the very best! At the end he thanked the Forum members and the webmasters. 3.5 hours total. We also met Marianne!
seadove

Post by seadove »

We also met Marianne!
Tell us more please....
marta_hungary

Post by marta_hungary »

hi
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/st ... ay_1116738

this article is telling more about the concert and birthday yesterday.
I wish I was there!
I hope there will be more videos on the evening on youtube.

Mr. Cohen, thank you!
COHEN PLAYS THREE-HOUR SHOW ON 75TH BIRTHDAY

LEONARD COHEN made a triumphant return to the stage with a three-hour concert on his 75th birthday on Monday (21Sep09).
The veteran singer sparked fears for his health after collapsing onstage in Valencia, Spain last week (18Sep09).
His concert was cut short after he fainted mid-song and was taken to the city's Nueve de Octubre hospital, where he was treated for stomach flu.
But he was back on his feet to perform the last show of his European tour in front of 14,000 fans in Barcelona, Spain on Monday - the same day he turned 75.
The Hallelujah hitmaker was given a standing ovation as he stepped on stage at the Palau Sant Jordi concert hall, where he played for more than three hours.
And the star was moved after hundreds of fans held up lit candles handed out earlier in the evening to celebrate his special day.
His band member Dino Soldo wrote on Twitter.com, "To all the friends in Leonard Cohen's Barcelona gig, your birthday candles brought a tear to my eye. He was touched."
Concertgoers also tossed bouquets, books and teddy bears onto the stage, and the Canadian star thanked them by raising his hat and concluding the show with the parting words, "May your life be sweet as apples dipped in honey."
He is scheduled to play a concert in Israel on Thursday (24Sep09) before travelling to North America to continue his tour in the U.S. next month (Oct09).

22 September 2009 08:12
Purple Princess

Post by Purple Princess »

Thanks from me too for the reports so far. I wanted to stay up all night waiting for reports but I am going to be up all night tonight travelling to Israel so knew I had to be sensible and get a good night sleep last night!!
So glad Leonard is in good form - I am shaking with excitement now for Thursday evening in Ramat Gan!!
Lehit xx
Manchester 1979; Birmingham 1985; London x 2 1988; London 1993; Edinburgh Castle, London 2008 Ramat Gan and Las Vegas 2009Sligo 2010Las Vegas Dec. 2010
Verona September 2012; Leeds sept 2013
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I got another SMS (from another friend), he says the party went on until 4am and that the whole night and Barcelona meet-up, celebration, and show were phenomenal. Lucky people who were there:) I guess everybody are still sleeping:)
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

Yay, Good morning! I rushed to the computer first thing in the morning to come here. Couldn't take part in the excitement with you last night because my boss - strangely enough - would probably not really understand that this is real good reason for sleeping on my desk today. But my thoughts were in Barcelona last night. Thank you for all the first reports. I can't wait to hear and see more. The candles must've looked beautiful. Hopefully some footage of that will pop up on youtube during the day. I hope that all of our friends who travelled down there had a *great* time. Now come back and tell us all about it :razz:
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Famous Blue Raincoat / If It Be You Will: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTOHeHmbgWI
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

Hello everyone,
I can not wait for the reports on yesterday's concert and birthday celebrations 8) ... I have last night with some friends sat in their favorite pub, we drank good wine, pubs boss persuaded to play only music of Leonard Cohen and we read his poetry, listening to music and the voice of Leonard ... and in our thoughts, we were in Barcelona .. oh, too bad that the only thoughts :(
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney »

Thank you Marie and Tom for your prompt postings. Thank you Bloodbrother for your wonderful review. I hope you win the lottery so you can go to the states! Otherwise, if you only ever tally one gig, you were at a memorable one.

Finally, can we have more pleeease....
BloodBrother

Post by BloodBrother »

ladydi wrote:Blood Brother, Thank you....so beautiful!
sue7 wrote:Wonderful to read your post, BloodBrother.
What a night it must have been...
As Cohen would say: Thank you so much friends! ;-)
lizzytysh wrote:I'm so thrilled for you, Blood Brother, that you were able to see Leonard perform Live. It was the lament in the past years that I felt for those much younger that they would never have such a privilege. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am now that all of you are able. We can relate to your description.
~ Lizzy
I was so glad to see that I wasn't the youngest person in the audience and I also saw many friends of mine who were there too. I think Cohen is "ageless" and his music will live in our hearts for ever.
honey604 wrote:To Blood Brother...

Thank you for your heartfelt posting! I felt so much like you the first time I attended a Leonard Cohen concert (last year, Montreal) and I know the memory of tonight will stay with you for a long time. Mine did! And continues, as I'm sure it always will....

Honey604
I'm sure it always will too, Honey604!! :D My english isn't good enough to describe what I saw but I'm so sure that I will NEVER forget it.
Liamberney wrote:Thank you Bloodbrother for your wonderful review. I hope you win the lottery so you can go to the states! Otherwise, if you only ever tally one gig, you were at a memorable one.
I hope it too Liamberney!! But, anyway, I feel very fortunate to have had the privilege of seeing him at least once.

By the way, the "Barcelona Fan Celebration" has appeared in the newspaper "La Vanguardia" here in Barcelona. It says:

"Yesterday, 125 'hardcore' Cohen fans attended a lunch of brotherhood in Barcelona's 'Sala Vivaldi'. Paula, recently arrived from Portsmouth, explained that he had requested a day off to watch and listen to her God".

(Hope the translation is understandable).

See you friends and long live to Mr. Cohen!

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”