CONCERT REPORT: Barcelona, September 21 (Leonard's birthday)

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tomsakic

CONCERT REPORT: Barcelona, September 21 (Leonard's birthday)

Post by tomsakic »

This evening Leonard & the band are performing in Barcelona, and today's also Leonard's 75th birthday, as we all know:)

I am opening this concert report thread with text messages from Jarkko:
Jarkko wrote: The film screening was success. Wight film received with enthousiasm. Meet-up venue perfect and food delicious. Jorcx did wonderful 2h gig. The Barcelona team has created a most memorable gathering for the Forum members.

I already typed last night that LC is OK and no changes in the tour schedule. Sharon also wrote today that everything's as usual.
Juan Luis Corcobado

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Barcelona, September 21 (Leonard's birthday)

Post by Juan Luis Corcobado »

I would be there. I hope see in some video the mountainous ovation to Leonard when he steps on stage.
Juan Luis Corcobado Cartes
Pal. Deportes de Madrid 1993 | Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009 | Pal. Deportes de Madrid 2009 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012 | The O2 Dublin 2013
corcobado[at]gmail.com
boirina

Post by boirina »

I wish I could be there!

I'll wait for the TV and news reports. :)
* Palma 1988 * Lisboa 2008 * Lisboa 2009 *
* Palma 2009 * Lisboa 2010 * Lisboa 2012 *
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEONARD !!!

I wish I could be in Barcelona now... but I am sure that the audience there will give him moments of joy on this occasion. It was the same in Bucharest last year - 10,000 people sang "Happy Birthday" to him, it was raining but everybody stayed on, and all of us there were happy to be part of such a moving moment...

I am sure the Barcelona concert will be great! I can hardly wait for the following posts here.

Carmen
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I got the report that sound check was good as usual and that Leonard is in an excellent form:)
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Thanks for the info Tom - please keep us informed when you get more news.

Mirek
Habie

Post by Habie »

This is the most passionately I've ever looked forward to concert reports, and fuzzy YouTube postings...
Here's celebrating the fact that a great man can age gracefully, which is a sweet thing indeed.
Hurry up, Forum friends! When you've finished celebrating with each other and the music, please describe every single moment for those of us stuck in non-Leonard-land...
Love, Habie x
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

First press and photo:
La Vanguardia
http://www.lavanguardia.es/cultura/noti ... -fans.html

EFE/Julián Martín
El cantautor y poeta canadiense Leonard Cohen, durante la actuación que ha ofrecido esta noche en el Palau Sant Jordi de Barcelona
The Canadian singer-songwriter and poet Leonard Cohen, during the performance which has offered tonight at the Palau Sant Jordi in Barcelona / EPA / Julian Martin
Leonard Cohen celebra su 75 aniversario en Barcelona ante 14.000 fans

21/09/2009 | Actualizada a las 23:10h | Cultura

BARCELONA. (EUROPA PRESS) El músico y poeta Leonard Cohen celebró hoy su 75 aniversario con un concierto en el Palau Sant Jordi de Barcelona al que asistieron unas 14.000 personas y con el que cerró su gira europea. "Gracias por vuestras felicitaciones, no sé cuándo volveré a celebrarlo así", dijo tras cuatro canciones e interrumpido por una fuerte ovación de sus fans, que se pusieron de pie mientras él, sonriente, se emocionaba y se quitaba el sombrero.

El cantautor más melancólico y con la voz más ronca que se ha conocido arrancó como ya es habitual con 'Dance me to the end of love' y no mostró ningún resquicio de cansancio durante el recital, impropio para alguien de su edad y, sobre todo, tras el incidente de hace tres días en Valencia, donde suspendió el concierto al cabo de cuatro canciones por un corte de digestión.

Pausado pero igual de vigoroso que hace 35 años, cuando actuó por primera vez en España, Cohen interpretó grandes éxitos que han influido en muchos otros artistas, como 'Bird on a wire', 'Suzanne', 'Chelsea Hotel', Famous blue raincoat', 'Everybody knows' y 'Who by the fire', éstas dos con la importante participación del aragonés Javier Mas a la guitarra y bandurria.

Más amigo de la sobriedad, el aire apesadumbrado y los leves gestos que de los grandes parajismos, el 'gentleman' arrancó recitando 'a capella' 'Anthem', ante un silencio sobrecogedor en el Sant Jordi. Cuando empezó a entonarla, la banda, compuesta por cinco músicos y tres coristas, le siguió, y Cohen presentó "a la ciudad de Barcelona" a todos sus músicos, con el sombrero en el pecho en señal de pleitesía, empezando por Mas y refiriéndose luego a la corista Sharon Robinson como su "esposa secreta y colaboradora".

Tras un retiro espiritual de años a un monasterio zen de California y la estafa que le procuró su representante, cifrada en unos cinco millones de dólares, Cohen afrontó las vicisitudes con una nueva gira, primera en 15 años. Si la extensa gira que emprendió en abril del año pasado el canadiense, y que se cerrará en Estados Unidos a mediados de noviembre, se ha hecho por dinero o por una pura necesidad de retomar el contacto con el público, sigue siendo una incógnita, igual que lo es si el de hoy fue el último concierto que jamás dará en tierras europeas.

GOOGLE TRANSLATION

Leonard Cohen celebrates its 75th anniversary in Barcelona before 14,000 fans

21/09/2009 | Updated at 23:10 am | Culture

BARCELONA. (IRIN) The musician and poet Leonard Cohen today celebrated its 75th anniversary with a concert at the Palau Sant Jordi in Barcelona which was attended by about 14,000 people and with that closed their European tour. "Thank you for your congratulations, again I do not know when to celebrate that," he said after four songs and interrupted by loud applause from their fans who stood while he, smiling, excited and took off his hat.

The more melancholic singer with a hoarse voice ever known started as usual with 'Dance Me to the End of Love' and showed no fatigue crack during the recital, improper for someone of his age and especially After the incident three days ago in Valencia, where he stopped the show after four songs by a court of digestion.

Paused but equally vigorous 35 years ago, when she first performed in Spain, Cohen played great songs that have influenced many other artists, like 'Bird on a wire', 'Suzanne', 'Chelsea Hotel', Famous Blue Raincoat ',' Everybody knows' and 'Who by the fire', the latter two with the important participation of Aragon Javier Mas on guitar and mandolin.

More sober friend, the air heavy, the slight gestures of the great landscapes, the 'gentleman' started reciting 'a capella' 'Anthem', with an eerie silence in the Sant Jordi. When he began to sing, the band, composed of five musicians and three singers, followed, and Cohen presented "to the city of Barcelona" to all his musicians, his hat in the chest in a gesture of homage, starting with Mas and referring then the chorus Sharon Robinson as his "secret wife and collaborator.

After a retreat of years at a Zen monastery in California and the scam that he tried his representative, at approximately five million dollars, Cohen vicissitudes faced with a new tour, first in 15 years. If the extensive tour that began in April last year the Canadian and United States will close in mid-November, it has done for money or a sheer necessity to resume contact with the public, remains a mystery, like it is whether today was the last concert ever given in European lands.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
dick

Post by dick »

Wonderful news that all went well with Jorcx and Leonard's concerts! So relieved by the resilience shown by our man! Praise the Lord!

Thoughts are with all you lucky enough to be in Barcelona.

Dick
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks Marie!

Yeah!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D
showed no fatigue crack during the recital, improper for someone of his age
Yes - really - it is so improper of Leonard to be so full of life and so devoid of fatigue - at his age. Really!!! Haha! :lol: :lol:
and referring then the chorus Sharon Robinson as his "secret wife and collaborator.
Once again - haha! :lol: :lol:
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Tom and Marie! We are all patiently waiting for the reports, news, details, you tubes...Its midnight in Barcelona so there must be a huge amount of happy people walking along...soon they will get to their computers and let us know....
To all of us who wanted to be there and were there in spirit I am sure we were felt from afar...
and all those blessed ones who were there
Hallelujah!
Can hardly wait...
Love Mutti :lol: 8) :lol:
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Now I can go to the bed at ease:) God bless the Spanish press reporting already after the first set. The show is obviously so good that anybody of our Forum members is sending text messages... and we can't sleep.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Thank you SO much Tom and Marie! I am watching/listening to Live in London (first time!) while I'm on the computer. I saved it for this night, knowing that I couldn't be with everyone in Barcelona. One thing I have noticed is how much smoother everyone on stage has become, even though they were totally smooth in July 2008. But, something has happened over the months. They are more than Leonard and the band/singers. They are family. They have also become "family" to us, and because of that, the concerts are now something transcendent. Above and beyond the norm.

I have been sipping wine (er, perhaps a lot of wine..it was nice 8) ) whilst watching "Live in London" and really feel now like I want to go to bed...what a wuss! But..I'm going to maybe now sip some tea so I can stay up a little longer in hopes of one or two reports!

Also...I want to hear the "Happy Birthday" on YouTube! And when was Leonard given the mosaic? Did Jarkko do it privately?

What a night in Barcelona! :D :D

SO SO happy for all of you who were fortunate enough to be there!

Diana
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi all,

Someone MUST have a laptop or phone! Please, please give us something.....I speak for myself, but think I also speak for 100's of others. I know you must all be pumped up so much and probably out celebrating. Spain does seem to stay up half the night. Crawl into a corner and give us just a few words! Then you can do the BIG review tomorrow :D :D

In Roscoe's word...."pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease................."
DrHGuy

Leonard Cohen's Closing Words At Barcelona

Post by DrHGuy »

Thanks to Yoda18 on Twitter http://twitter.com/Yoda18 for this message:
Leonard Cohen finishes his 75th birthday three hours concert with these words: May your life be sweet as apples dipped in honey.

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”