CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
honeyrose

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Post by honeyrose »

Well that didn't work so I shall have to try again - sorry about that.
Honeyrose
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

Having another go: one at a time
- this is for all of you in Block A4 where it didn't rain so you can see what it was like for the rest of us.
Honeyrose
MBW LC and Roscoe on stage 2.jpg
MBW LC and Roscoe on stage 2.jpg (29.04 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I must say that in the area where where myself and my friend were seated (Block A5 Row N Seats 94/5) everyone behaved remarkably well. The audience kept respectfully quiet with very little movement for most of the concert, which was quite amazing in the circumstances. Any singing along seemed to be reserved for the choruses of songs like "So Long Marianne" and "Democracy". Also there was hardly any distraction from the usual bozos who have to get their 90 seconds of wobbly footage for youtube. I think that people filling the aisles and standing up towards the end added atmosphere and was not unexpected considering many must have had a bad deal (I pity those seated at the back behind the mixing area). Also since it was cooler and most people's seats were no doubt soaking wet later in the show, a bit of movement was pretty much a necessity. My only complaint is that Leonard wasn't able to use any Moses like powers to cause the rainclouds to part.

All good things, John E
Last edited by John Etherington on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

Here is a nice one of Leonard without his face obscured by the mike

Honeyrose
MBW LC Hand on heart.JPG
MBW LC Hand on heart.JPG (30.96 KiB) Viewed 4059 times
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

And here is another one of the audience
Honeyrose
MBW LC from back of stage.jpg
MBW LC from back of stage.jpg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

And here is a lovely one from near the end of the set
Honeyrose
MBW LC x 2 in rain.jpg
MBW LC x 2 in rain.jpg (17.39 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

Finally here is Leonard taking a bow

Honeyrose
MBW LC takes a bow.JPG
MBW LC takes a bow.JPG (40.42 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
zodkavombie

Post by zodkavombie »

Hi
Despite the rain and the car park issue the concert was absolutely fantastic, enjoyed every minute of it. :D
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
jackiet

Post by jackiet »

I must have been sitting very close to some of you, was in A4 row Q, I do remember seeing some of you coming in a little late, what a shame to have missed some of Leonard, we missed Suzanne Vega (although we could hear her) as we were standing in the horrificly long queues for the loos & drinks, During Leonard's interval I went straight to queue for loo and he'd already started singing Towere of Song by the time I got back to my seat. All in all what an absolutely brilliant night, so many of you have already posted reviews so won't do the same, just want to say a big thank you to Leonard and all his wonderful musicians for another stunning evening, managed to see him four times last year and am off to Liverpool on Tuesday, (I'm so looking forward to it) and then Barcelona for his 75th birthday, yippee!! He seems to get better each time I see him, so Barcelona should be amazing. I think it must have been raining a bit!!, when we got home we were soaked to the skin, but it was worth it. Would just like to say brilliant evening, dreadful venue, will never go to another concert there, they just couldn't cope at all.
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

Agreed! and with John E.!
I loved this concert ("show") - in my opinion, it was glorious. There we were in the open air, in the rain and the wind (acknowledged by Leonard), in the darkness, hearing these most wonderful musicians. It was wonderful to see Leonard looking so happy (and still skipping!) - he obviously appreciates audience participation. I hope he knows that we loved singing the choruses with him - particularly Famous Blue Raincoat - as much as I hope he loved singing the whole songs for us.
if anyone has a dvd of this concert, please get it touch asap. [musically a pinnacle; visually (from backstage looking out across the musicians to the audience in the rain): elementally beautiful; the important things settled together and overcame the worldly gnats of carparks etc.] So glorious to experience this transcendence.
Thank you so much to the Unified Heart Touring Co; my heart and memory feel unified.
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
linmag

Post by linmag »

Once more, thanks to Leonard for a wonderful concert. The atmosphere in the second half was really great and the band as perfect as ever.

We seem to have had a slightly better experience of the venue than some, apart from the chaos at the end. But then, if you are among the first in you expect to be among the last out - you just don't expect it to take the best part of 2 hours! We arrived in time for the sound checks and got to the cafe inside MBW before the queues formed, so were able to buy a 'take-out' for the interval and avoid the queues then as well. We actually went back inside the building at the interval and sat in easy chairs to eat, then went up to the top floor to use the loos, where there were no queues. Even so, I would think at least twice before booking anything here again.

We really enjoyed Suzanne Vega, despite the persistent drizzle. I'm pretty sure I spotted Dino standing at the edge of the stage for part of the time, and obviously enjoying it too. It was a privilege to hear Leonard's sound check, though like others we thought at first they were just playing tapes. We didn't have much trouble with people moving around during the concert either, except for one couple who arrived soon after the start of the second half clutching something unappetising from one of the onsite food vendors. But they had been caught in traffic and were not to blame at all. If anything, I think the rain added to the atmosphere, even towards the end, when it became something more than drizzle (the word downpour springs most readyly to mind). The fact that Leonard and most of the band were wearing scarves during the second half somehow bound us all together, and even more so when Leonard took out his handkerchief to wipe spots of rain off Xavier's instrument (not sure exactly which one he was playing at that time). I also noticed on the big screen at one point that Neil Larsen was playing with waterproof covers over the keys, obviously doing the whole thing by touch.

I also enjoyed meeting up with various people around the site, and look forward to seeing some of you again in Wales in September.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

What an amazing show! Got absolutely drenched, but it was worth it :D Sitting in Block A5 row N, along with several other forum members by the look of it (I'm a youngish girl in a light blue rain hoodie, if anyone remembers). I wasn't that familiar with Suzanne Vega, but enjoyed her set, even though it drizzled throughout. It looked like the heavens would hold out for Leonard's set at first, though sadly the rain descended at the end. By then there seemed to be some sort of crowd euphoria and I didn't really notice it, even though water was flying off my hands as I was clapping madly :lol:

Leonard and the band seemed to be really enjoying the show, even though they had to wrap up warm for the second half (typical English summer!). I loved how the last few numbers turned into a singalong, and I thought that Leonard put some extra oomph into 'And I just climbed that whole damn mountainside / to wash my eyelids in the rain'! We all certainly got the chance to do that! It was good to hear Heart With No Companion, but I was sorry that A Thousand Kisses Deep had been dropped.

Out of the four concerts of the tour that I've seen, this and the first one at the 02 were the best, I'll remember this one for ever, I'm stil on a slight high :D Minor disappointments - my programmes got soaked through, people were runnning up and down the aisles throughout, and my sister and I lost our car in the carpark afterwards and were tramping around in the driving rain for 40 minutes to find it! But it can't detract from the glorious show - sadly it's probably the last time I'll see Leonard perform live, and I'm glad I went out on such a high.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
aplane

Post by aplane »

Wonderful evening - the rain and (thanks to Jarrko) being so close to the stage really made it. I felt as though if Leonard had asked us we'd all have marched straight off to take Berlin there and then, wet as we were! Here are some pictures:
P7110170_2.jpg
P7110140.JPG
P7110150.JPG
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Paula wrote:Who by Fire on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3UNttT6xd0
Thanks honeyrose and aplane - and everyone else - for the pictures. And Paula for this YouTube link of "Who By Fire." I was just coming over here to post it.

The video on YouTube was uploaded by "MrTobyporter" - a great capture from the "big screen."

Javier Mas's guitar solos are simply stunning. Leonard is watching intently and subtly moving his head and at approximately 0:58 you can see him say a few words. A big smile from Leonard at the end of Javier's opening solo, and Roscoe Beck raises his hand to his heart. And speaking of Rosco Beck, the video captures his terrific bass solo at the end of the song. But also captured are shared looks between Leonard and Roscoe I believe about the humor of this bass solo.
:D :D :D

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”