CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sloopy

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Post by sloopy »

Problems with venue what problems ?Drove straight in ,parked, got food /drink.Great view of the great man yet again,not disturbed by other concert goers doing their thing ,enjoyed everything Leonard sang .Got a bit damp.Daughter converted to the cause after 42yrs .Drove straight out and away.Had a great time .Been to far worse venues in that time .No good getting older if you don,t get wiser.Hey DILLIGAF.
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

Melvyn wrote:
Cyril wrote: which involved ending up in front of the stage for the second half: which was much better -- we could see every detail of Leonard's natty scarf, and now we really felt we were there, until the friendly security staff job's worths took an interest and started hassling everyone back, and soon we were back in our seats in the next county for a spell, until the encores, when we rushed forward (as many seemed to be leaving?!?) ... and there we were at the end, soaked through, but a mere few feet away from the ensemble, yelling along, and having the best time: suddenly it was like a real concert, and made it all worth it.
Well I just hope no-one tries that at Liverpool. I booked early (thanks to this site), have got good seats & certainly do NOT want others coming in from elsewhere & blocking my view. I agree with Mabeanie who complained
Mabeanie1 wrote:we did have a continuous succession of people who seemed to think it was their God given right to come and stand in front of us then have an argument with the stewards about their rights. The stewards won every argument right up to the encores when they finally gave in to the wave of humanity which headed their way but it was all very distracting to say the least.

It seems that most people enjoyed the concert but the rain was exactly the reason I preferred to travel 200 miles to Liverpool rather than the 2 or so to Weybridge.

Regards,

Melvyn.
Understand your point of view Melvyn, but we were at pains to stand as close to the apron of the stage as possible and not block people's views if we could help it. By the end, everyone was standing, like a proper concert.
suzanne2

Post by suzanne2 »

Fantastic, wonderful concert, I was full of emotion when he came on and instantly sang 'Dance Me'. What a gentleman, in all senses of the word. His voice is still fantastic, all the musicians gave 100%, and his 'angels' were brilliant.
Some weird people in the audience tho' - talking on their mobiles, totally foxed by the alphabet, as couldn't find their seats despite it being so clear, standing blocking the view, and totally obsessed by food and drink. Who needs to eat or drink when you have Leonard Cohen to listen to?
Wonderful! I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Harry I agree with you to a certain extent but I think the reason people were drifting off and coming back were due to the massive queues. There were approximately 10 refreshment vans expensive and slow moving. If like us you got there around 4 you had no choice but to use them as no food or drink was allowed to be brought in and they searched your bags. The queues for the toilet were massive too so I think people had no choice but go off in the midst of the concert when the queues were less. They didn't seem to have a disabled toilets either and there were quite a few wheelchair users and walking wounded so that was very bad planning too.

The stewarts were good but the one in front of me was very jobsworth he appeared to be stalking some guy who had snuck into a seat nearer the front that wasn't his seat but no one else was claiming it so what was the harm.

A couple of people crouched in the walkways nearer the stage just wanting to take a couple of shots of the band but they got shooed away. Really what harm were they doing.

I think the crowd were amazing (apart from the bloke who stood in the aisle next to me when they all came to the front who kept whooping in my ear!!!).

Good natured crowd, the stewarts were efficent but sometime too efficent I smoke the smokers were herded about like sheep. It was an open air concert I was stood at the perimiter having a fag and they still wanted the smokers to move completely passed the barriers.

Sloopy you must had trod in something to have that luck. We got there and parked up within a reasonable time but getting out of that car park nightmare didn't get home until about 1:15 and I only live a 30 minute drive from the venue so three hours to get home and most of that was spent in the car park listening to LBC and a lady who phoned in who was also stuck in the car park.

Melvyn the rain added to my enjoyment it was a nice rain not a heavy downpour.

No all in all I think the audience were great, good natured, happy and wet.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

First of all, my apologies for failing to make the meet-up. My daughter had a ball the night before (er ... literally, as in Cinderella) and didn't feel like leaving Oxford before 2pm ... and both my children wanted to hear unknown Suzanne Vega (who my daughter has now decided she adores: she had no idea she was the writer of Tom's Diner). Since this was the very first time they have been to one of Leonard's concerts ("Is it all right if we whoop?") I felt constrained to play the good host all evening and stick with them.

We came by coach, train and finally shuttle bus (total time from Oxford via London 3 hours), so it is very interesting to read the chaos that road-users suffered getting to and escaping from the venue. The train and shuttle bus worked really well, the point being that although it was a long and time-consuming journey without a car, at least there were no delays and everything happened pretty much on schedule. (Also the driver, me, could relax throughout!) In fact, I expected a very long wait for the shuttle bus out of the site (everyone leaving at the same time) but it all went smoothly: we were on the station platform at 10.45pm and caught the fast 2302 train into Waterloo.

Someone wrote that one of the entrance roads was blocked off, making the congestion even worse. What I noticed was that the shuttle buses had a dedicated road in and out (presumably, that one), all to themselves, and we absolutely flew along. Even when we reached the snarled up roundabout, there was a bus-lane and we kept on trucking...

So, the lesson learnt is that it is safe to come to BMW World again ... but leave the car behind.

The forecasts were of dire monsoon-weather, so I took the precaution of equipping myself and the children with hideous bright-yellow plastic ponchoes that we could sit on and which covered our knees. We all got through the concert looking outrageous but at least staying dry. The weather was kinder to us than the forecasters predicted, with only significant rain from the second set onwards.

It was very good to hear Heart With No Companion, but I had hoped to hear Avalanche some time in 2008 or 2009 :( . How interesting that Lover Lover Lover was used at the sound test but not performed. I noticed the first set was a little shorter than usual, so maybe Leonard cancelled it at the last moment, as the rain began.

The children (aged 18 and 20) seemed to enjoy themselves, my son grinning broadly at "Don't like children anyhow", and both even bought T-shirts.

I noticed that Leonard perked up in the second half, probably in response to the warmth being returned by the audience. In particular, when he first came right to the edge of the stage a huge cheer went up which was rather unexpected, so he returned to the very front several times more to be met by cheers of appreciation each time.

He had great fun introducing the Webb Sisters as "from Kent, just around the corner". And when he introduced the band-members for the second time, he actually said "with your permission...". All the jokes were cut, apart from the reference to the organ playing itself (before Tower of Song).

Cyril, welcome to the forum, but I would like to put an alternative point of view:
Cyril wrote: So Mrs Cyril suggested a walk, which involved ending up in front of the stage for the second half: which was much better -- we could see every detail of Leonard's natty scarf, and now we really felt we were there, until the friendly security staff job's worths took an interest and started hassling everyone back, and soon we were back in our seats in the next county for a spell, until the encores, when we rushed forward (as many seemed to be leaving?!?) ... and there we were at the end, soaked through, but a mere few feet away from the ensemble, yelling along, and having the best time: suddenly it was like a real concert, and made it all worth it.
Forward seats are available if, like me, you are willing to stay up late at night bashing away at the keyboard within minutes of the tickets going on sale. Having got fourth-row tickets so that my children could have the best possible introduction to Leonard, it was infuriating to have people pushing up to the stage at the start of the second set, and at the start of the first encore. My daughter is petite, and everybody standing in front of her made it virtually impossible for her to see what we had paid to see (blocked by interlopers, the front-row had to stand, so the second row had to stand, so the third row had to stand, etc...).

There was one maddening middle-aged woman and her friends, who I would described as wilted flower-power, who were actually dancing in front of the first row, as if they were at Woodstock. C'mon, pleeeease!

I was very grateful for the crowd-control staff, and wish they had been more assertive (baton-charge, anybody?)

So... the sad reality is that that is probably the last concert of Leonard's I will ever attend. :cry: In 2008, I went to two in Manchester, 17 July O2 London, Bournemouth, Birmingham, Royal Albert Hall, and in 2009 Berlin and Weybridge. So that is a total of eight. Not bad, really.

Glass half-full or glass half-empty? Half-full, to be sure! When I and others met Leonard at the Green Note Café in Camden in October 2007, although there was talk of a tour none of us really expected it to happen. So here we are, the two-year tour drawing to a close ... and yet somehow it all seems natural and right, and hard to believe that we ever doubted his physical stamina.

So, no need to wait any longer. The Miracle Has Come. Thank you, Leonard.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Apart from the atrocious parking etc I thought the concert great, in fact for atmosphere probably THE best I've been to. Sorry to anyone I annoyed by being in front of the stage for the encores. Leonard & the band looked as if they were loving it. Hello to anyone stood near me- I was right infront of Leonard in the 2nd 'row' wearing a red waterproof jacket. There was a lady with shoulder length dark hair in front of me & a gentleman of medium height & glasses to my left & 2 very enthusiastic young ladies just behind us calling for 'Hey thats no way'. It felt like a 'proper concert' - I did come away from a couple last feeling the music was great but the atmosphere a bit flat. Didn't notice the rain much.
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

How do I upload photos here please - I have some nice ones of the concert? Only I can't work out how to do it.

Honeyrose
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn »

Cyril wrote: By the end, everyone was standing, like a proper concert.
Cyril, the fact that you think that standing makes it a proper concert is, I'm afraid, a personal matter of opinion. It was so enjoyable last year at the Bournemouth concert, certainly upstairs, when everyone remained seated for most of the concert, it was probably only during the encores that people had to stand up and that's OK. That's not to say there weren't enthusiastic throughout, of course they were. I always groan when I see some exhibitionists standing up a few rows in front of me, then the people behind them have to stand up, then the people behind etc etc. This is Leonard Cohen after all; Rock 'n' Roll it's not. If I wanted to go to a concert & stand, I wouldn't go to a seated one!

Just hope you're not in row J next Tuesday!

Rant over,

Regards,

Melvyn.
golo99

Post by golo99 »

I know I complained when everyone stormed the central aisle for the encores at Vienna (an indoor gig at a historical concert hall - shows it's not just the outdoor gigs that can descend into anarchy!). However, I think for an outdoor gig it's fair enough for the encores, it also encourages everyone else to stand which makes for a far better atmosphere. Dublin in the rain last year was the best atmosphere of the six LC gigs I've been to - I believe Leonard himself has commented on the atmosphere that night - and last night had hints of that atmosphere. It's the rain that does it. Resilience becomes enjoyment.

It was annoying that the stream of aisle standers started right from the beginning of the second set though. As it said, encores fair enough, but the running battles between the blokes in flourescent orange and the camera phone toting aisle invaders was awfully distracting. You can tell LC himself wasn't a fan when he said a sarcastic "bye then" towards them as they were (briefly) cleared from in front of the stage during Tower of Song. Luckily for me, the aisle I was by wasn't a real aisle, but rubber matting over the leads running to the mixing desk (great front central seats - thanks Jarkko & AEG), so it was less invaded than the wider aisles.

As for the security, they were a bit stupid. Telling me I couldn't stand by the mixing desk and had to return to my seat (after I'd got back from the bar) when I was only waiting for the song (Hallelujah) to end - my front central seat meant I'd be blocking lots of people's view returning to my it, which i thought was politer to do between rather than during songs. Security had other ideas. Tsk.

The venue was a bit rubbish - can't believe they had so few booze huts. They shouldn't have scrapped all the food ones and just had bars. And it seemed solely aimed at car drivers - I guess given that it's owned by a car company it would be - and those of us who walked from Weybridge station (and back there afterwards) ended up having to circumnavigate pretty much the entire venue, adding about 15 minutes to the journey. Couldn't they have had an pedestrian exit at the opposite end of the venue (linking up with the footpath to the station) which would have cut the walk in half?

I come from Weybridge, and hadn't been back in 10 years. Nothing but another Cohen gig - LC as fabulous as ever - would tempt me back there again. Not to Mercedes Benz World at any rate.
2008 Dublin June 15th, Manchester June 20th, Vienna Sept 24th, London Nov 17th, Brighton Nov 28th / 2009 Weybridge July 11th / 2010 Malmo Aug 4th, Lille Sept 25th / 2012 Dublin Sept 12th & 14th / 2013 Brighton Aug 28th
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Cyril wrote:
By the end, everyone was standing, like a proper concert.
It was only at the end that people were standing & moving forward. Leonard & the band seemed delighted by the audience response. I was seated upstairs at Bournemouth, it was a great concert but felt a bit 'flat'. Its not Rock & Roll, its not pop music but it is Live music.

Sorry this is turning into an argument after a wonderful, wonderful evening.
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
Louise W E

Post by Louise W E »

Rain??? It wasn't raining in B7 row N either!! :D :D :D Can't imagine why I was suddenly soooo wet when I got back in the car at the end of the evening? What a fabulous evening with Leonard and his band. They all seemed to be enjoying it as well. The man just gets better as he gets older and I've folowed him since the early seventies.
The fact that it took an hour and a half to get out of the car park didn't matter either - I had 5 of Leonard's CDs going full volume (and the heater).
Hope he comes back soon.

Leonard, 'You're my Man' XXXXXX
Relate

Post by Relate »

The venue was hideous. But this was my 12th concert of the tour so far and without a doubt this was the best second half atmosphere I have witnessed.

You only had to look at Leonard's face during the encores to see that he was really enjoying the crowd's adoration and enthusiasm. It looked to me like he found the audience participation very envigourating.
Last edited by Relate on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

This is a blog today by Mike Visceglia who apparently is the bass player for Suzanne Vega. He talks about the show - and has some nice things to say about Rosco Beck:

http://www.bassremedies.com/blog/mikes- ... n-england/
Mike’s Blog- June 12- London, England

Hey all! I left off the last blog on my way to the gig in “Sintra” in Portugal. Sintra is indeed a beautiful place and the gig was in a really nice theater called the “Centro Cultural Olga Cadaval.” However, there were a few problems with the production. The first red flag was when the promoter’s assistant brought us to the wrong hotel!….luckily the right one was close enough. The next red flag was that the scheduling called for us to be at the venue for a 3:00PM soundcheck for a 10:45PM show! Since the gig was a 45 minutes away from the hotel, it wasn’t deemed practical to go back and forth to the hotel…so we hung out for nearly 6 hours between soundcheck and the gig. So we did a little walking tour of historical Sintra and that was was really lovely…Moorish influenced architecture, castles and palaces. the next hurdle was when it was realized that instead of the 4X10 cabinet that I always use, I got an Ampeg 1X15 cab. It totally wasn’t my sound but they did rectify the situation by having a 4X10 delivered. The gig went on as scheduled at 10:45 and all went very well. The audience loved it and we left Sintra at just before 1AM. We got back to the hotel at 1:30AM and because we needed to catch an 8:15AM flight to London we all had to be up and in the lobby by 5:45AM….so we all got about 3 hours of sleep. The reason that we needed to get to England was because of the special guest appearance by Suzanne opening for Leonard Cohen on her birthday! So we made it to London and because the show was a 6:30PM we had to go directly to the gig for a 3:30 soundcheck. We were all excited about the gig but…of course this being England- it was raining…and we were playing outdoors for 15,000 people! Even though the stage was covered the rain was one of those English/Irish misty rains that with the help of the wind was falling as much horizontally as vertically. The Leonard Cohen crew treated us really well and the gig went great- despite the relentless rain. The fans bucked up and stayed and cheered through the inclement weather. The highlight for me though was meeting and hanging with Leonard Cohen’s bassist and musical director-the great Roscoe Beck. Roscoe was totally congenial and we had a nice conversation about basses (he has a Fender Roscoe Beck signature model.) I told him about the bass events in NYC that I was a part of, including the Bass Immersion Days with clinics and performances. He expressed great interest in being a part of one of those. I told him that my partners Patrick Pfeiffer and Ronal Sanchez are planning to take the Bass Immersion days on the road…so no we have a star performer to add to the roster when we go to Austin, Texas where Roscoe lives. Today we’re off to do a benefit show in Birmingham, England for a children’s rights organization called “Casa Allianza.” This is an organization that does work on behalf of children- primarily in Central and South America. The show was organized by longtime friend and Suzanne supporter Fred Shortland, who also works for the organization…so we’re off now to soundcheck…more later! Mike
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

I will try to upload one photo first and if this works will add some more

Honeyrose
MBW LC and Sharon.JPG
MBW LC and Sharon.JPG (33.25 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

That seemed to go OK so here are some more:
I wasn't near enough the stage to take them there so these are from the big screen nearest me which was very near - after Photoshopping they have come out quite well I think.
Honeyrose

Have removed following as it didn't work.
Last edited by honeyrose on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”