CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
vaughan

Re: Weybridge

Post by vaughan »

Hi again,

Yup, that was us - sorry to disturb you by getting there late :(

And your red hair was well hidden, unlike mine and my BIG brother's.

It was excellent though wasn't it - the Webb Sisters seemed to enjoy it based on their Facebook comment - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... ers?ref=nf

Hope your cycle home wasn't too wet and dangerous, and the damp underwear didn't chaff too much :shock:

When's your next concert?
Vaughan

Dublin June 15 | Manc'r June 19 & 20 | Ed'bro July 16 | Cardiff Nov 8 | B'ham Nov 22 | Manc'r Nov 30 | Boston May 29 | Wetbridge July 11 | Liverpool July 14 | Barcelona Sep 21 | 2010 Marseille Sep 21 | ????
curiousberyl

Re: Weybridge

Post by curiousberyl »

Lol

I forget completely that i look totally different without my hair!

Cycle home was a bit hairy, but there were lots of hills to keep us warm & it was only 3 miles & people these days generally can't overtake cycles, so after a while we just had a massive queue of cars following us, so then it was quite safe

We saw him at the O2 twice last year, & just had to go to Weybridge cos it was so near! Would love to see him somewhere warm! maybe Spain or Greece? Nothing booked just yet, but who knows

he seemed completely bowled over with the crowd by the end, I'm glad. being Irish I'm used to Irish audiences & always feel for the artist when the UK audiences sit still & listen politely (although it makes the concert much easier to hear!) Completely loved how everyone stood through the encores

Thanks for the facebook link!

See you at the next one we go to i hope!

Barbara
Barbara

Dublin 1988
London O2 2008 x 2
Weybridge 2009
London Wembley Arena 2012
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Post by bridger15 »

Joey Carenza, the tour road manager, posted an amazing shot taken from backstage looking out at the audience. Everybody is standing and they look like they are cheering. The excitement is palpable. One can almost hear them roar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fauxmantic/3711581410/
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
dharma

Post by dharma »

Don't know about 'concert report' - mine's more of a traffic report.

It took me a staggering two and half hours to travel from the M25 (junction 10) to MBW. One funny thing was listening to the 6:45pm travel bulletin on LBC which reported a massive tailback on the A3 back to the M25 due to "a Leonard Cohen concert at Mercedes-Benz World" - wish I had a tape recording of that! :D

After the concert I managed to get out of the car park quite easily (last one in first one out I guess), and again on LBC, at 11:30pm, a woman rang in to say that she was still stuck in the MBW car park - that made me laugh! :lol:

MBW? Never again! But Lenny was in fine form. :D Great to hear 'Heart With No Companion' - don't think he's sang that since the countrified 'Various Positions' tour? 8)
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
Shadow

Weybridge Concert

Post by Shadow »

Leonard even better (last saw him in New York this May)
He looked positively happy with himself, despite the terrible rain. The musicians were also getting a bit wet.
The downside for me was that some people continued to get up to go and get drinks and chips. Can't some go without these things for a couple of hours?
It is the height of disrespect to an artist to constantly leave the performance while they are performing, plus the interruption of other peoples enjoyment. Pity the weather was so dire, but somehow I hardly seemed to notice!.
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

Morning all -- just joined your forum, as we went to the show yesterday. I would pretty much echo most of the comments anyway. Leonard and the whole band were fantastic, consummate, tasteful musicianship, one wonderful song after another, "Hallelujah" restored to its rightful owner, and the main man just comes across like such a genial, humble bloke, it was a pleasure to be in his presence.

But the venue ...

We set off from Brighton in plenty of time according to interweb navigation sites, and couldn't believe the traffic from M25 onwards -- stop and start for miles, and we completely missed Susanne Vega :( ... then the parking hassle; then the queues, separate ones for everything: next time I'm bringing more members of my domestic staff to queue on my behalf (just kidding, most of them have Saturday off). While queueing for Upper Crust [Trades Description case pending here: there were definitely common people there], the great man started, so I abandoned Mrs Cyril and legged it to my seat, which was in the next county along from the stage. She joined me about 4 songs in.

I was really enjoying things, though only by looking at the screens as the stage was so distant. The thought did cross my mind that I could be watching Live in London at home, with tea and oranges that come all the way from China, not worrying about the impending rain, or helping up fellow concert goers who had slipped over on the skid-pan in front of us ... when the interval came.

So Mrs Cyril suggested a walk, which involved ending up in front of the stage for the second half: which was much better -- we could see every detail of Leonard's natty scarf, and now we really felt we were there, until the friendly security staff job's worths took an interest and started hassling everyone back, and soon we were back in our seats in the next county for a spell, until the encores, when we rushed forward (as many seemed to be leaving?!?) ... and there we were at the end, soaked through, but a mere few feet away from the ensemble, yelling along, and having the best time: suddenly it was like a real concert, and made it all worth it.

Then stagger back, starting to panic, having forgotten where we were parked, and somehow just fall over the car unexpectedly; open the windows to let some of the water out, run over a few pedestrians (sorry), and back home cursing we had forgotten to bring any Leonard Cohen CDs for the journey. All I had was a verse or two recorded on my rubbish phone, but we sang along to that: "So long, Marianne!"

All in all a brilliant evening, but I don't know if I will be patronising the world of Mercedes Benz again in a hurry. OK everyone, you all know the tune : "So long ....!"
Last edited by Cyril on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Wow, what a concert... Atmosphere magic in spite of the rain, which was only in the second half.

I drove there and arrived nice and early - no queues to get into that badly organised car park. AND, this is the killer, I was also lucky enough, with a few intrepid others, to hear at full volume (and see on the screens from the barrier before they let us in at 4pm) Leonard's sound check...more wows.

He did (parts of) Heart with no companion, the Future, and Lover, lover, lover, then the sublimes did a muted part version of If it be your Will, all punctuated with requests from Leonard for things like 'more high end on Rosco's bass'. A real privilege. And I thought at first they were just playing Leonard soundtracks when I got there.

That was my pre-concert bonus, plus a good seat in block A5 - and a truly fantastic gig that will stay with me for a long time (and it was my 5th and they were all tops!) I have some great pix - but sorry, I don't know how to put them on the Forum.

Playing Lenny CDs in the car waiting in a non moving rainy queue of cars leaving, so it was just a relatively minor annoyance that the venue was so inefficient.

Blessings on you, Leonard and all your wonderful band (I like Javier and Dino more and more every time I see them) for being who you are.
Zeynop

Post by Zeynop »

I thought you might like this, because I loved them!

Photos taken by Phil Sullivan:

HarryMann

Post by HarryMann »

The downside for me was that some people continued to get up to go and get drinks and chips. Can't some go without these things for a couple of hours?
It is the height of disrespect to an artist to constantly leave the performance while they are performing, plus the interruption of other peoples enjoyment.
Couldn't agree more, the 02 was the same, a constant snake of rude, weak, ill-mannered people up & down the (narrow, steep, dangerous) isles emptying bladders, refilling them, bringing in awful smelling fast-food - these are MUSIC concerts, not restaurants/pubs/bars.

When will the promoters get real - paying £60~£100 for ticket entitles one to
a) be able to see/listen and hear the music without constant interruption
b) not be surrounded by crisp munching orstunk-out by greasy take-aways
c) not have to put up with drunks pretending they can sing-along in tune (loudly), again with weak bladders (the 1st 02 concert, why we went back to the 2nd one)

It's got to the point that I'd probably be happy to see a complete ban on takeaway food (maybe even drink) within the seated area - and yes, it's mainly the 20 & 30 year olds who can't go 20 minutes with an alcoholic drink or greasey muck in their gob.

Yes, OK, moan, moan, moan, Sorry!

==============================

H&S marshalls very good, plenty of them, well mannered & nice staff, even litter pickers at work - liked the actual layout - but WHO blocked the main industrial road access off? And who gave a license for such appalling road access ?

Suzanne was great, Leonard was in very good voice indeed, and the band on top as usual - think Raphael Bernardo a fantastic drummer and Dino a real multi-talented & very funny character, to pick out just two :)

Well worth it, just for the second half, which really came together well... we got got out fairly quick (1/2 hr) but that long drag in through a very run-down looking Weybridge - no doubt the end of Vickers and a thriving aviation industry is responsible - how many knew they were in an incredibly famous site - Brooklands banked race circuit that allowed the British Motor Industry to compete & develop in the 30's and Vickers (Wellingtons, Barnes W allis etc) - all gone!
Last edited by HarryMann on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

suemerlyn,
How fortunate for you to have been at the soundcheck! Did they really do Lover,Lover, Lover? I so hope they put it in the setlist on this leg of the tour!

Zeynop,
Do tell the story behind the photo pleeeease!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Zeynop

Post by Zeynop »

Hi MaryB;

I actually got the pictures from Phil Sullivan's (Suzanne Vega's sound engineer) web page so I don't really know the story behind the pictures. However I'm also a huge Vega fan so when she posts something about this experience I'll let you know. :)

luv;

Z
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

HarryMann wrote:

H&S marshalls very good
but rather regimented, to put it mildly. The MBW blurb said Weybridge station was 30 mins walk away from the venue or there was a free shuttle bus, so you would think there would be an exit route for walkers, wouldn't you? Not so. We found ourselves herded in to the bus queue and it took a couple of arguments and an act of major defiance to get out to the exit point to explain that we didn't want the bus. We just wanted to walk.

After that it was easy. Our lift arrived in the appointed place and we were en route long before many people had left the car park, arriving back in North Warwickshire around 12.30 pm. Much better than the journey down when we set off in plenty of time but got completely caught up in the traffic chaos and missed Suzanne Vega's set.

I enjoyed the show and I'm glad I went but I do agree with the comments made above about people who can't just sit and listen to the music. I was lucky enough to pick up a second row centre ticket on Scarletmist on Friday evening so I was in a great position and the people in the front couple of rows seemed to have less need of food and comfort breaks. However, we did have a continuous succession of people who seemed to think it was their God given right to come and stand in front of us then have an argument with the stewards about their rights. The stewards won every argument right up to the encores when they finally gave in to the wave of humanity which headed their way but it was all very distracting to say the least. For all these reasons, my husband (the lift provider) refuses point blank to see Leonard at an outdoor venue and I am inclined to agree with him. There are too many distractions.

Whoops - I wonder if he's realised Venice is an outdoor show? :roll: :lol:

Wendy
oxford

Post by oxford »

Exceptionally wonderful concert but exceptionally atrocious organisation. After a 2 hour+ journey from the M25, we missed Suzanne Vega altogether and the first bit of Leonard too. And how many people missed the start of the second half because they were still queuing for the toilets? Mercedes Benz World...never, never again!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Good show, rubbish venue, glad I walked.
Melvyn

Post by Melvyn »

Cyril wrote: which involved ending up in front of the stage for the second half: which was much better -- we could see every detail of Leonard's natty scarf, and now we really felt we were there, until the friendly security staff job's worths took an interest and started hassling everyone back, and soon we were back in our seats in the next county for a spell, until the encores, when we rushed forward (as many seemed to be leaving?!?) ... and there we were at the end, soaked through, but a mere few feet away from the ensemble, yelling along, and having the best time: suddenly it was like a real concert, and made it all worth it.
Well I just hope no-one tries that at Liverpool. I booked early (thanks to this site), have got good seats & certainly do NOT want others coming in from elsewhere & blocking my view. I agree with Mabeanie who complained
Mabeanie1 wrote:we did have a continuous succession of people who seemed to think it was their God given right to come and stand in front of us then have an argument with the stewards about their rights. The stewards won every argument right up to the encores when they finally gave in to the wave of humanity which headed their way but it was all very distracting to say the least.

It seems that most people enjoyed the concert but the rain was exactly the reason I preferred to travel 200 miles to Liverpool rather than the 2 or so to Weybridge.

Regards,

Melvyn.

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”