CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sueandtony

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Post by sueandtony »

Message for Lizzie from sueandtony ref Granada concert. Not sure if my reply to you has gone, seems to be stuck in my outbox (am new to forums) so will repeat here.
It's outdoor and a football stadium on the eastern outskirts of Granada, looks easy to find, I don't know about the size of it though.I bought tickets sunday, got row 10 so good seats still available. Received my tickets yesterday, (cost 40 euros for UPS shipment). See you there?
Rgds, Sue
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

mydoglorca wrote:
I'm your woman wrote
But in doing so she spoke for all three of us. And I suspect a large proportion of the female audience as well!
I think I'm alot older than you. I remember seeing him in 1976 when he gave us his hotel & room number during the concert. I often think of those who were less well behaved than I was!! ;-)
Blimey - why was I born too late?! :lol:
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

I'm your woman wrote
And you didn't take him up on it?!
Just checked RAH November posts & the photo. I remember you two now! Still green with envy at your luck. I'll be looking out for him & hoping to share your good fortune even if it means I catch his cold - (if he has one!) :)
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Shame - could not have made 1976. That was when I was born... :-(
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

D1054 wrote:Could I ask if any one made a note of the songs and in what order performed as I would be keen to know
Mike
Hi Mike
The set lists for each show are the top threads at the beginning of the relevant Tour, i.e. in this case The Summer Tour in Europe 2009, the first thread under the heading Setlists for the Summer Tour in Europe 2009. The setlist for Weybridge has been posted there.
Kindest
Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 »

imyourwoman wrote:
somewhat_nifty wrote:I was in A5 N and a couple of rows ahead were three girls with a banner - does anyone know what it said? (I couldn't read it in reverse!) Are you members here? Leonard looked like he saw it at one point!

In response to the First We Take Manhattan request above, I have an 'action' recording here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEY-Td0npI
That was us! The banner says 'Len - i'm your woman'. It's the same banner that is briefly glimpsed on the Live in London DVD (we were in the front row for that concert and one of the cameramen filmed it). So now we take it to all of the gigs. I'm glad you thought Leonard saw it, it was hard to see from behind the banner!
I was a couple of rows behind you! Loved the banner! But what was the 'noise' that sounded at one point..I'm sure you lot were responsible!
:D

P.S. I was also one of the lucky ones to hear the whole soundcheck...it was like having a little private concert all to ourselves! In retrospect, despite, and because of, the awful rain, I think Wetbridge was a magnificent concert; Leonard seemed to really connect with the audience in the second half. Couldn't believe how the band kept playing despite their instruments being covered, and the rain and wind howling across the stage!
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
imyourwoman

Post by imyourwoman »

stargazer61 wrote:
I was a couple of rows behind you! Loved the banner! But what was the 'noise' that sounded at one point..I'm sure you lot were responsible!
I think that may have been our 'little' phwarrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh during I'm Your Man. Sorry if it upset anyone, but we were unable to contain ourselves.
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 »

imyourwoman wrote:
stargazer61 wrote:
I think that may have been our 'little' phwarrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh during I'm Your Man. Sorry if it upset anyone, but we were unable to contain ourselves.
Nooooo!!!! Loved it !!! A perfect little moment! I collapsed with laughter! It was a short, swift funny moment; if you had repeated it loads of times, that would have been different! The banner was great as well and it was appreciated that you only waved the banner after the songs had finished. :D
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
Rock Chick

Post by Rock Chick »

What an absolutely amazing evening! It was truly perfect in every way. Leonard was most definitely on top form and clearly loved every second of it. The atmosphere was electrifying and I still keep getting spine tingling chills shooting through my body every time I think of it. I loved the audience participation during I'm Your Man ;-) , Bird on the Wire sounded better than ever and Famous Blue Raincoat was Heavenly. I didn't really notice the rain until after the concert when I realised I was completely drenched and my programme had turned into papier mache! Thank you from the bottom of my heart to Leonard and the wonderful band for such a special concert.

After reading mydoglorca's post I have just one regret.... why oh why wasn't I born earlier?! The thought of being around in 1976 when Leonard announced details of his hotel and room number during a concert is just unbearable ;-)
vido

Pictures from Weybridge concert

Post by vido »

Hi hi. If people who have pictures from the Weybridge concert is it possible that someone can send me some pictures to the e-mail vido@24seven.is. I want to have some pictures as an extra memories from this great concerts.
carolinatwo

Post by carolinatwo »

Hello... My first contribution to this lovely site...
wanted to share the letter I wrote to my family of the heart, the morning after Weybridge...

Dear Lovelies
I find myself in this moment dancing and weeping my way into a new day. I wanted to connect with you all before I brave IKEA in pursuit of more wooden boards for Carolina's cooking enterprise!

Thank you for being my family in all the utterly beautiful ways that you are. Thank you for coming to my house, even though for many it was in the wrong direction (geographically speaking!) Thank you for bringing flowers, sparkling vino, the most erotic fruit salad I've ever encountered... and thank you for bringing your lovely selves and your love of Leonard.

He is an angel for me, not because he's so different and bigger and better, but because he is so the same, so human. I never understood the reductive analysis of him as suicide music, because for me it is the opposite... he has helped me to live, to live anyway, and to try and trust as Jan Day would say, the chaos of our crazy human journeys... and how could it be any different. So to see him again, and with all of you, means so very much. To see him in the rain, as he is, with his melted, broken open heart in the lines in his face, and in the love in his eyes... to get so wet, to get to the front of the stage finally, to share the last wave of the journey with Jan, weraring not rags and feathers from salvation army counters, but bad plastic pac macs...all of us though dressed in our rags of light... and being able to salute him as he saluted us...

Mr. C, who has been singing his songs inside me for the last 38 years... and sometimes I absolutely do not need any music machines to hear him... sometimes I dream about him, sometimes as the lover, often as my father (the one I longed for) and always as my brother... So thank you Leonard, for giving so much naked soul, and for being my brother even though we've never met...

And thank you my lovelies, for being a Leonard ritual with me xxx
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

I have very little to add to what has already been posted about this wonderful concert. Most enjoyable, from the start, it was great to meet other Forum members, Paula and all the other lovely ladies, it was a pleasure to meet you. I got a copy of the latest programme, to add to my collection, which is really nice, lovely black and white shots taken by Dominique Isserman.

We managed to capture Leonard's final blessing, Arlene, this one's for you;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9snUNb5Ptw

Looking forward to the next one.

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Marie,

Thanks SO much for posting the video of "Whither Thou Goest" and the final blessings! I'm sitting here with tears of happiness and joy running down my cheeks. It was well filmed. How special it would have been to be at Weybridge (no matter how wet everyone was!) as I think it will become one of the defining concerts of the whole tour. Just watching the video you can feel the love between Leonard, everyone on stage, and the thousands of fans! Simply beautiful.

All the best,
Diana
emilyb

Post by emilyb »

Hello everyone
I have been reading this thread for days but Marie's clip of Whither Thou Goest and the blessings has finally spurred me on to register with the site. Thank you so much for posting it, Marie - it's wonderful.

It was a privilege to be at Weybridge and I can't see that anything will surpass the experience of standing near the front for the encores. I can't add much to what everyone else has said, except to echo those who are kicking themselves for being too young in 1976 ;-)

Does anyone have a recording of Tower of Song? I managed to loiter in front of him on my way back from the loos ;-) and he looked at me and smiled. It didn't last long but I would love to see it again...
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

ladydi wrote:Hi Marie,

Thanks SO much for posting the video of "Whither Thou Goest" and the final blessings! I'm sitting here with tears of happiness and joy running down my cheeks. It was well filmed. How special it would have been to be at Weybridge (no matter how wet everyone was!) as I think it will become one of the defining concerts of the whole tour. Just watching the video you can feel the love between Leonard, everyone on stage, and the thousands of fans! Simply beautiful.

All the best,
Diana
It made me tear up when I was there, so many in the world are selfish and self-obsessed and at times it makes me feel so disheartened. What Leonard said was so lovely and kind bless him. He inspires me to carry on being the nice person I am.
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”