Barcelona Celebration 20 and 21-09-2009

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
daveeliver

Re: Barcelona Celebration 20-09-2009

Post by daveeliver »

Hi,
Just in case knowledge of numbers are necessary for the benefit of the venue, I'll be there and looking forward to being back in Barcelona.
Will possibly visit the Nou Camp museum and may even look at the temporary display of the European Cup.
In Liverpool, because we have won it 5 times there is a permanent display which you can see on July 14th.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/club/tour.htm

Must start packing for Hydra soon
All the best
Dave
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi friends,
Anne & I plan to arrive in Barcelona either Tues. or Wed. Sept. 15 or 16. We plan on joining you for this celebration. In addition to Leonard's birthday, we will celebrate Anne's while we are there.

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Chema

Post by Chema »

September 21, 2009 Lunch - Leonard Cohen 75th Anniversary

1-2-3 Liverpoolken () and friends (Holland).
4-5 Andrea, Marco (Verona / Berlin)
6-7-8 Mari Paz (Madrid), Josep (Barcelona), FYS Toni (Barcelona)
9 Chema (Barcelona)

I'm sure: it will be a great lunch!!!!! :D :D :D

Thanks Toni for all information about our city!!!!
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Travelingladiesman ~ then a man who like travelling and the ladies can lose the bags.

Daveeliver ~ there are more than three months to The Day, but I like to think about it. We need the number for if we have to change to a bigger restaurant, then for the pre-booking. Congratulations for these 5 times and good trip to Hydra. Long time ago I left a message near the door, for another pilgrim.

Joe ~ I hope to congratulate for Anne.

Chema ~ my friend, for sure it will be a great lunch! I edit the updates in the first page of this thread.

JORCX
http://www.jorcx.net/

We met us in a post in this forum, he announcing the concert-tribute for the 70 Leonard's anniversary. Soon I realised that we had an amazing affinity for the same music; Cohen (obviously) and also Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Mark Knopfler, or when he chooses covers of Catalan music inevitably they are songs that I have liked very much. His adaptations are faithful, hold the clarity of the poem and the splendour of the music, at the same time he opens new ways for the song. What more we can ask to a cover.

In a country where still it is difficult to us to understand the English, the covers of Cohen's songs to our language facilitates his diffusion and interest, because the texts are fundamental in his work. For example, Graeme Allwright did an important job in France for Cohen.

With his covers Jorcx pays tribute and shows his teachers, an honest attitude, but fundamentally Jorcx is a songwriter.
"Amb el meu desig al descobert
No sento mal però vull la teva cura
A mitjanit quan ens trobem
Al bell mig del camí de Lluna"

"With my desire uncovered
I do not feel any pain but I need your cure
At midnight when we meet
In the middle of the Moon's way"
Camí de Lluna - "Moon's way" or "Moontrack"
(Jordi Calmet Xartó 2007)
He has one good number of very good own songs. But in his gigs there are very few of him. Maybe they are not so mysterious and the people seeing can discover all this pain. The authentic poetry is like that: truth. And undoubtedly it is not easy it to be told in public. We know well how Cohen feels his songs in the stage.

In the concert-tribute, we will see to Jorcx just with his guitar, in my opinion he is a notable guitarist who dares even with Knopfler. On his study discs we can appreciate his capacity working with a band and producing records.

Well, I feel myself his friend and it's for me very difficult to write objectively. (Worse in English). I have thought that it was necessary a presentation of other facets that we won't see in the concert.
jorcx

Post by jorcx »

1-2-3 Liverpoolken () and friends (Holland).
9 Chema (Barcelona)
10 Jorcx

Many thanks for your kind words, Toni. I add myself to the list of the Lunch with a very good number 10 which is reserved to the great Messi in the FC BARCELONA team... See you there and the night before!
J.C.X.
Barcelona 15th May '93 | Dublin 13th June '08 | Lucca 27th July '08 | London 17th November '08 | Cap Roig 15th August '09 | Barcelona 21st September '09 | Barcelona 3rd October '12
Henning

Post by Henning »

Hi friends - count me in for lunch on September 21. I am hungry already.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Chema, Jorcx & FYS,
Anne & I are planning on attending the lunch, too.

Thanks,

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Chema

Post by Chema »

1-2-3 Liverpoolken, Willy & Wijbe
9 Chema (Barcelona)
10-11 Joe and friend (Ireland)
12 Dave (Liverpool)
13-14 Joe and Anne (Wisconsin)
15-16 Meritxell and Rosa(Andorra)
17 Jorcx (Barcelona)
18-20 Jarkko, Eija, Sinikka (Finland)
19 Henning (Germany)

I have tried to sort the list ...
dick

Post by dick »

Hi Gang!

Linda and I will be with you in spirit. Still glow when I think of our fantastic meal with wonderful Barcelona folks. Concert by Jorcx will thrill everyone!

All the best

Dick
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi guys,
You can add me to the list!
I think Henning is number 21, so I'll take 22!
22 Maarten (Belgium)

I know of at least 5 more Belgians making the trip to Barcelona, so I'll ask them to join us. Don't count them in yet, they don't even now about this yet...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Yes! I remember well you, Linda, Eija, and Jarkko, really it was an unforgettable time.

Maarten, I'm very glad see you in the list.

And I have the honour of adding Guadalupe:

23 Guadalupe (Lleida)

Gracia

The city of Barcelona is a plain that gets down from the Collserola saw to the Mediterranean sea, is closed to both sides by the rivers Llobregat and Besós. It seems easy to be orientated.

The Jorcx concert will be in the musical bar Cara B in el Torrent Flors (Flowers' Torrent) in the neighbourhood of Gracia, certainly I don't remember many flowers there. As well as Torrents we have Rieres and Rambles too, this means ways where the water flows when raining, these streets are perpendicular to the sea. Now we do not have to worry they are perfectly canalised.

Gracia was a village independent from Barcelona until 1856, la Villa de Gracia, still now it preserves a very own character. It is a neighbourhood with narrow streets and squares with animated shops, restaurants and bars. There are working people, with conscience of class; we can see numerous graffiti and political cartels. There is a great associative activity.

In La Festa Major de Gracia (the annual festival) the neighbours of some streets choose every year one different topic (for example a walk under the sea) thinking in to adorn the street. For months they prepare the adornments in secret with materials sometimes recycled to ensemble in the street the night from August 14 to 15, trying to earn the contest. The party gets longer a few days with diverse activities. The most important is the dancing, the sound of old songs are mixed with the last summer hits play for a popular band. All the people dance, children or grandparents. Recently the neighbours are a bit annoyed for some incidents with rude people.

Besides the Torrent de les Flors we have other evocative names for streets and squares, la Revolució, del Sol, Tres Senyores, Llibertat, Torrent de l'Olla, del Diamant... (Revolution, Sun, Three Ladies, Freedom, Pot's Torrent, Diamond ...). Merçe Rodoreda wrote the novel La Plaça del Diamant placed in the Gracia in the post-Civil wartime. It has been translated into several languages.

Also there are some mountains, in the hillside of Carmel is the Park Güell, a failed house schema that Gaudí planned for order of the businessman Eusebio Güell. Nice views of Barcelona, great modernism and lots of tourists.

confetti

Post by confetti »

My husband and I will be there, really looking forward to meeting every one. Very excited to be going.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

I won't be there in time for lunch but am hoping to meet up with other forum members before and/or after the concert.

Mary (Canada)
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
margaret

Post by margaret »

Please add me to the numbers for lunch on Sunday 21 September.

(I only just returned tonight from Hydra to see all this discussion :D )

Margaret
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
Vlastik

Post by Vlastik »

ForYourSmile,

Please, count me in for the lunch on 21st - I definitely will be there. :D
Thank you.

Vlasta /Prague/

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”