SPRINGSTEEN vs. COHEN

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
yentek

SPRINGSTEEN vs. COHEN

Post by yentek »

Today's L.A. Times review of Bruce Springsteen's April 15 concert contains a nice comparison with the two recent local Cohen concerts:

"Perhaps the biggest surprise about the characteristically invigorating performance is that on returning to L.A., the site of so many high-watermark Springsteen performances, America's quintessential classic rocker had to compete for the title of king of the emotional marathon concert with a 74-year-old Canadian poet. During soul-stirring three-and-a-half hour tour de force shows at the nearby Nokia Theatre less than a week before, Leonard Cohen had used his mastery of language and spiritual understanding to zero in on humanity's eternal struggles."
lizzytysh

Re: SPRINGSTEEN vs. COHEN

Post by lizzytysh »

That's tremendous :D . Thank you so much for posting it, Yentek 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Steven915

Post by Steven915 »

Given a choice, I'd take a Leonard Cohen concert over Bruce eight days a week.
yaniv297

Post by yaniv297 »

yeah never been too much of a bruce fan... so cohen for me.

How about Cohen VS Dylan? Or Cohen VS Nick Drake?

I prefer Cohen over Dylan personally, but i'm not really sure about the second one... Both Nick And Leonard are so amazing.
DrHGuy

Distinguishing Between SPRINGSTEEN and COHEN

Post by DrHGuy »

A year ago, anticipating potential problems from the simultaneous Springsteen-Cohen tours, I posted a set of guidelines: How To Determine If You Are At A Bruce Springsteen Or A Leonard Cohen Concert
http://1heckofaguy.com/2008/04/16/cohen ... -be-there/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The humour and the irony of this made me laugh ~ a lot. Very well done, DrHGuy. Then, I saw the photos of and taken by Dick. I was about to return here and your title about how a love story began caught my eye and interest and I began reading. I've just finished Julie's Story, including the Vows. I laughed during parts of [your and] her story, too.

After she said the three things to you at the door, I went and made myself some hot chocolate and returned for the rest. It felt like the appropriate drink. Despite the laughter, however, my mood has considerably changed from where I began when I went to your site. Reading a detailed account, written by a man who has deeply and truly loved, and been loved the very same, has dropped me off far from where I started.

[I would apologize for hijacking this thread to speak of you; but having read Julie's Story, filled with love, humour, and gravitas, I can't. I wanted to copy my comments here to there, but I can't find how. I've commented on your blog before, but I'm wondering if comments may have been stopped for this segment?]

I guess I ought to get back to Bruce Springsteen and Leonard Cohen. I love Bruce, but the love I feel for Leonard, well... there's no comparison. I'm glad that reading your comparisons and how to tell them apart made me laugh as it did, and that they brought me to where I unexpectedly read Julie's Story.

Thanks for everything, DrHGuy. So many unexpected insights into the worlds you've occupied. Beautiful and disarming. I'm sorry for your deep loss and happy for your glorious 20 years together. Even though it's a decade gone, in many ways, it has to still feel like yesterday. Few of us experience a friendship and love and relationship so rare and true. You're right. You're 1 heck of a guy. In the most affectionate possible way, so was Julie... or for consistency, Julie was 1 heck of a woman. Thank you for sharing your relationship with us.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
notolivia

Post by notolivia »

come folks...they are both great. very different performers, delivering very different music. no one should pass up an opportunity to see either of these performers.
negrilmark

Post by negrilmark »

I will be seeing Leonard Cohen for the first time in Philly on May 12. In terms of his songwriting I consider Leonard Cohen far superior to Springsteen. That being said, I am hoping to see Springsteen in Philly on April 28 & 29 and I have tickets to see him in DC on May 18. Since 1974 I have seen Bruce about 90 times in concert. Most of Bruce's concerts have been tremendous, and I usually leave feeling that I saw one of the greatest performers ever.
In term of comparing Leonard and Bruce, I feel it is not a worthwhile venture. Why should we compare everything in life? I was just in Negril, Jamaica for three weeks and there was an amazing sunset almost every night. If I tried to compare sunsets I feel that I would have missed out on the unique beauty that each one had to offer. Let's be fully present to every great performance that we see (be it Leonard, Bruce,or anyone else) and enjoy the moment as unique and transformational.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

In term of comparing Leonard and Bruce, I feel it is not a worthwhile venture. Why should we compare everything in life? I was just in Negril, Jamaica for three weeks and there was an amazing sunset almost every night. If I tried to compare sunsets I feel that I would have missed out on the unique beauty that each one had to offer. Let's be fully present to every great performance that we see (be it Leonard, Bruce,or anyone else) and enjoy the moment as unique and transformational.
Oh, I love every one of those sentiments, Negril. Beautifully true and well said. Excellent analogy.

It was euphoric for me watching Bruce perform at the Jazzfest in New Orleans a couple years ago, the first one after Katrina.

Welcome to the Forum :D .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Steven915

Post by Steven915 »

negrilmark wrote: In term of comparing Leonard and Bruce, I feel it is not a worthwhile venture. Why should we compare everything in life?
OK, then, consider this hypothetical: Leonard and Bruce are playing in your area at the same time. What concert are you going to go to? The choice is easy for me, not being much of a Bruce fan.

However, if Leonard and Aimee Mann are playing at the same time, I don't know what I'd do.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm a HUGE Springsteen fan; however, I would opt for seeing Leonard... and, hopefully, see Bruce at another venue later. I'd have no choice... follow my heart.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Love Springsteen - no question - I would see LC :lol: .]

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

As contrasting as these are, the only time I'd face a conflict would be if it was between one of Leonard's concerts and a Led Zeppelin reunion concert! :roll:

But...Leonard has touched my soul and would win out every time! :D

Diana

ps..oops, this was between Bruce and Leonard. Bruce is awesome but once again, Leonard would win out!
martbook

Post by martbook »

I've seen Bruce live and in two weeks I'll see Lenny dance like white man!

I eat apples and oranges daily and never ask myself which is better. They both nourish me and make me a happier person.
micropup2008

Post by micropup2008 »

Interesting discussion. My wife always tells me I'm too damn opinionated and stuck in my ways, which is probably true, so here goes. Springsteen - meh :roll: Zeppelin - meh :roll: Mann - meh :roll: Drake - meh :roll: Leonard Cohen - Drum Roll please :lol: : The Glory of God shines through, the sun comes out, for a few brief moments we are allowed to experience true perfection. IMHO, the only modern musicians who even (but not quite) come close to LC's level of genius are Dylan and Lennon, and with respect to the most underrated rock bands of our time, The Moody Blues and Its A Beautiful Day.
Ron

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”