Detroit bar before the show

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
KaimiK

Re: Detroit bar before the show

Post by KaimiK »

Not meaning to be an interloper here, since I'm not even going to be at the Detroit show... :cry: But, Lizzy, I would have to agree with your analysis and intuition. Leonard's shows are so precise, so studied and during them he seems so introspective - I would think that the less is more approach fits best. My chocolate and roses set just on the edge of the stage didn't compete with anything happening on stage, just a gift they could easily ignore or accept at a time convenient to them in the show. Since at most shows we've had the opportunity to meet some of the group beforehand, maybe that's a good time to bestow the gifts? Before they get into that seemingly meditative mind-set? Mary's monkey was very well-received and has charmed everyone, but if it happens at every show... I don't know, maybe I'm way off base...
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
MusicCityGypsy

Post by MusicCityGypsy »

KaimiK...you do realize that there are still seats at Detroit! :idea: wouldn't it be nice if we could all just get a big LeonardCohenForum bus and skip from city to city...if only. it could be filmed as a reailty tv show so we all could make some money while doing it...

I'll be looking out for the balloon @ 6:30 if not making it to the grille before that!

:lol: :lol: 11 MORE DAYS :shock: (that's my "shocked" face)
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Oooh, I was tempted for a moment...until I checked airfare - ouch!!! :shock: Still working out a way to get to Red Rocks. I like the idea of a tour bus though. :D :D :D
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, KaimiK. Now watch some of the interim shows prove us wrong :? ;-) ... still... I remember way back [in the day] how somehow it was related that applause at the beginning of songs would throw Leonard off... with his introspective, meditative state as you well said. I agree with your description on the discreet way that your items were placed there to accept or not, yet now, continuing on, I too weigh in on less being more... Fred has been elevated to his own, unequalled status and has become a gift for us all.

All bets are off for the pre-show, of course, just once the show begins 8) ... or how about roses and chocolates at the encore when everyone is cheering? The old, long-standing, operatic tradition. [Am I slipping back into history too much here ;-) ?] Or, back to the pre-show... I still love the t-shirt [front & back... I'm Not Your Man / I'm Your Monkey] and the fedora [still requesting grey ;-) ] in a banana gift box... maybe with a dark pair of shades... and the Chiquita labels 8) on a couple, fresh, organic bananas. Cool Fred, fitting in with Mr. Cool and The Gang.

Haha... Cara. A Leonard Cohen Reality Show. It sure would be cheaper for us, wouldn't it? I don't understand, either, KaimiK, where all those great reductions with the airlines are... I keep hearing how they've had to slash fares, but with any of the flights I've checked, they sure haven't. I had checked into possibilities for Red Rock, but it was so totally out of the question, and now, even if they were cheap, flights and tickets would need to be purchased NOW, so it's become a moot point. It seems that there would be something economical to Detroit, though... have you tried all the smaller airlines like Jet Blue and such?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Lizzy,

I love the idea of pre-show, or at the end, perhaps when they bring out all the crew onstage for the final song? That seems like a great time! Love the idea of the fedora and T-shirt for Fred - but as far as adding more monkey friends...I feel they're already giving us so much with this interaction we wouldn't want to overwhelm!

I don't know where those airfare reduction are either! I just check Southwest for flights and as it turns out they're discontinuing service from Spokane to Detroit the day before the concert! I can fly to Denver for $99 each way, so that's much more reasonable. And to be honest, being in that breathtaking outdoor setting will be the perfect wrap-up for me. I'm so glad I have you guys here to remind me that I'm not completely crazy as I'm sure if i told any other family or friends, they'd think I'd lost it entirely!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yeah... KaimiK, I agree on the end-of-the-show, everyone onstage, clearly not an interruption of any kind... and I feel we're more than privileged to have Fred. Mary hit the gold mine and the band continues to pan it for all the nuggets it's worth. Fred is one-of-a-kind, touring with a one-of-a-kind band... and we only need to count our blessings. Surely, if they meet a monkey along the way, they'll be able to assess the chemistry first-hand and can always add in a pal, companion, or [ahem] more for Fred [the maternalistic amongst us prefer the former two at this point in our little Fred's life ~ remember, Fred... there's ple-e-e-e-enty of time... enjoy your unfettered youth whilst you have it].
Spokane to Detroit the day before the concert!
You have GOT to be kidding! Can you possibly go the day before, then?? If it's only to be one or the other, though... hands down on Red Rocks 8) ! Lucky, lucky you... $99/each way. What a not-to-be-missed deal all the way around. Do not let it pass you by. As Leonard has sung, "Ple-e-e-e-e-e-e-ase don't pa-a-a-a-a-a-a-sss me by-y-y-y-y-y-y-y... "

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 »

Well the votes are in and we wont be joining you guys. My buddy driving wrote me and said he wants to stick to HockeyTown. He said he doesn't need to have a $35 piece of chicken from Fox Town Grill and hamburgers and fries are good enough. Plus he said it's "less stuffy" at HTC, and being a huge sports fan, they have plenty of TV's for him.

I hear The Fox will be open at 6:30pm for the will call. Not sure if that's when will call begins or if The Fox will be open any earlier. However, I don't really think that's early enough. The show starts at 8pm and only 90 mins. if we want to still meet and great, hit the sales stands, then find our seats.

LOL. One again I'll complain and say this whole situation hasn't worked out as I hoped. But we're about 10 days away and it will all be worth it in the end I'm sure based on LC's current tour history..Now I'll just hope this A1-N1 Flu doesn't get any worse across the US to further wreck plans! That's all we'd need.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi everyone!

Not a problem, Walsh! Our little group will get a quick bite to eat at the Fox Grille and then be at the Fox by 630pm. Actually it's wonderful that Leonard's management and AEG are doing that. It gives Forum members who have will-call tickets ample time to pick up their tickets and there is also plenty of time to hit the merchandise table, sip an expensive drink, and touch bases with each other. I still plan on having the helium balloon while in the lobby area so come on over and say hi! Would love to meet you! Also between 630pm and 7pm a few members of the band will mingle and say hello to us :D

As far as I know the plan is still to meet post concert at the Town Pump, or should I say "float in on our high"! 8) Hopefully you'll enjoy the concert Walsh and feel it was well worth all your aggrevations .

Cara, looking forward SO much to meeting you! Lizzy's flight is getting in a little later than originally planned (schedule change) so we will be making reservations for dinner at the Fox Grille for 530pm. That will give us an hour to eat, and the Fox theater entrance is just a few feet away! Would love to have you join us at the Fox Grille, but if you guys want to try somewhere else, that's not a problem and we'll see you at 630 in the Fox lobby!

Can't believe it's getting so close now! :D

All the best,
Diana
Last edited by ladydi on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Lizzy, Cara, Ken(adian), and whoever else might be interested...

Okay. I finally made reservations at the Fox Grille for 515pm. Lizzy, for some reason I thought your new arrival time was 359pm, but re-read your post and see it is actually 327pm, so there will be plenty of time to drop off your things at the motel, pick up Lisa, get parked and be at the restaurant for 515pm!

I only made the reservations for 5, as on their website they stated that there is an 18% gratutity added for any party larger than 6. The 5 are me, Lizzy, Lisa and her 2 friends who won tickets to the concert!

Cara, and Ken, and any others. If you'd like to meet at the Fox Grille for a bite, their number is 313-471-3500 and I don't think there should be a problem getting in around the same time as us. They open at 5pm. They are a tad on the expensive side but do have items that aren't so bad like pizza and salad. However, if you'd like to try HockeyTown or somewhere else, we will absolutely meet up in the lobby of the Fox, and then afterwards get together at the Town Pump to share a little libation! :D

Don't forget to look for the helium balloon ;-)

See you all soon!
All the best,
Diana
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 »

Well I saw the early weather forcast on the local news for May 9. Keep in mind Michigan weather has always been up and down even before Climate Change was all over the news. So this early forcast could change for the better or worse.

But as of right now, it is expected to be 66 degrees, partly sunny with a 30% chance of rain. The normal high temp in these parts for the time of year is about 65 anyway.

I'll update as the date gets closer.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, Walsh. I was thinking 'warm,' and 65 is borderline on that for me. Florida metabolism and all that... still a lot better on the weather than NYC was, though!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 »

Don't know if anyone else got the e-mail from The Fox about Sat.

It was an announcement that doors for "will call" people is 6:30pm and the rest 7pm.

They also noted there will be plenty of parking right at The Fox for just $12 (sounds to me like the show isn't sold out or they don't think it will be). Yes there are plenty of other parking lots around The Fox area, but most charge $15-$25 and you may have to walk a couple of blocks.

I e-mailed The Fox to see when the lot would be open as myself and many others plan on being Downtown by at least 5pm. They wrote back and said the lot should be opened no later than 12pm. If you already have a ticket you're going to need to show it as proof before they let you park.

Will-Call people, I have no idea. Hopefully you guys were given some sort of reciept and can show that as your proof.
hotm

Post by hotm »

Hi everyone

I haven't posted here before. My name is Stephen, I'm a Londoner but studying in the States for a few weeks, and going to the show in Detroit - can't wait! I saw Leonard in London on the last 2 tours but had given up hope of ever seeing him again - then I got to see him 5 times last year, now Detroit and then both the UK shows in July - 8 times in one year!

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to say that I'd love to come for a drink post-show if that's OK and meet some other fans.

Looking forward to Saturday.

S.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi hotm,

Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday! I can't believe it's SO close now! I think the plan is after the concert to head over to the Town Pump but if you are able to make it to the Fox by 630pm, the doors will be open for Forum members, along with the merchandise table and bar. Also several members of the band should cruise through the lobby between 630 and 7. Keep an eye out for a helium balloon....that will be me.....er, only in the lobby, NOT the concert ;-) Come on over and say hello! If you can't make it early then I think somehow we'll all sort of find each other as we're leaving the Fox.

Isn't it fabulous to have been able to see so many of Leonard's concerts! It's a blessing that I think many of us never thought would happen :D

I noticed you have only 3 posts, so if no one has done it yet, then I welcome you most warmly to the Forum! See you in a few days!

All the best,
Diana
jamie2304

Post by jamie2304 »

Hi everyone,

This forum's got pretty extensive and not quite sure what people are doing before/after. I'm coming to the gig on my own and fancied meeting up with people if thats okay. I've come from the UK (not just for lc but primarily...) but am only 19 so just wondered whether the places your going to will let me in?

Thanks
J

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”