From Bitterness To Gratitude

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
A Brick in the Wall

Re: A Big *** To Leonard Cohen and Ticketmaster

Post by A Brick in the Wall »

Walsh75 wrote:With all due respect, for ppl complaining about the ticket prices, outside of the VIP seat, the "regular priced" tickets are the going rate for concerts. $250 for main floor is usually the norm.

Again, I've said in other posts, when I went to see Van Morrison at The Fox in Detroit last year, his main floor went for $300, but if you wanted VIP, those cost you $100 extra. Still nowhere close to Cohen's $550 and you could by them single (as I did, going alone) But FYI, Morrison only played his standard 90 mins. for those prices.

I can only speak for concerts that have come to my area this last decade. The only quick sell outs (aside from Cohen here now) in Detroit have been Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers. They played at the near by Joe Louis Arena a couple years ago. It seemed like most of those tickets sold out in pre-sale with a passcode you had to get from some Disney website. On the day of the regular sale, I tried getting some tickets for my uncle and his kid. Not even a chance.

Dont know how it is around the rest of the country but a LC song has NEVER aired on Detroit radio in my lifetime. When I talk about him to most ppl of various ages their reply is "Who? Never heard of him"...I would have never dreamed he had this much following to sell out so quick among city goers. Maybe it's ppl coming from out of town or we're still not getting the full story.

I'm sure managers never lie. Right? That will be up to the Attorney General to investigate and decide. IF the office does anything at all since the RIAA is a big supporter of the Obama Admininstration.
There is a seperate place for your politics...
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Ugh, these thread stinks, but I couldn't resist. So, I suppose LC, falling into the new political categorization as "wealthy" should feel some measure of guilt for his hard-earned success, and fulfill his patriotic duty by freely donating his time, talents and efforts so that those less financially prosperous can freely partake of his live music? Okay, now move me to the political thread so I can rant some more...
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
abby

Post by abby »

Take note, Jarkko & Marie wrote elsewhere:

Today Marie and I spoke to Robert Kory, Leonard's manager, about the on-going discussion here and elsewhere regarding the sale of Cohen concert tickets through Ticketmaster and their subsidiary sites TicketsNow and TicketExchange. We also contacted AEGLive. Of specific concern to us was the March 11 Wall Street Journal article which stated,

"...Ticketmaster facilitates the secondary ticket market and profits from it. According to several managers of top artists and Ticketmaster executives, the company routinely offers to list hundreds of the best tickets per concert on one of its two resale Web sites -- and divides the extra revenue, which can amount to more than $2 million on a major tour, with artists and promoters."

While several artists were mentioned in the Wall Street Journal article, Leonard Cohen was not!! Many on this forum and elsewhere have chosen to believe this omission was an accident and that Leonard is participating in these practices simply because AEGLive is promoting his tour. We are pleased to report that we have confirmed Leonard is not participating. Robert Kory explained that this ticketing option had been offered and that he had declined on Leonard’s behalf. We also confirmed with Elliott Leflko at AEG that Mr. Kory declined. Not only that, Mr. Lefko explained that Mr. Kory has gone so far as to require that no peer to peer secondary ticketing of Cohen tickets be allowed on TicketExchange to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. As a result, no one, neither fans nor ticket brokers, can resell Leonard Cohen tickets through Ticket Exchange. We have checked ourselves on TicketExchange, and we found no Cohen tickets available through the Platinum Ticket program.

We can also confirm that we have worked with Mr. Kory to try to make the best tickets available to fans through this website in an orderly and fair way, and of course, without any premium. As most of you are aware, a fan presale of tickets requiring a password was conducted for all venues on the North American tour schedule. Resale of these tickets is limited by the "will call" policy discouraging scalpers. Further, a VIP ticket program was implemented where some very good tickets in each venue are sold along with a limited edition, collectible tour poster, a Live In London DVD, a tour program and other collectible merchandise. This VIP program prevents scalper bots from grabbing up the premium tickets when sales begin and provides fans with valuable merchandise in the process. This program protects some of the best seats for fans who may have missed the fan presale, and is NOT part of the the platinum program where premium seats are filtered to TicketExchange for resale at market prices. In fact, the VIP program represents the exact opposite, as its purpose is to keep the premium seats in the primary TicketMaster system at a uniform set price for purchase by fans who would like both a premium ticket and limited edition collector’s items.

Marie and I have spoken a number of times about what a great pleasure it is to see Leonard achieve a new and expanding level of popularity. Unfortunately, it also means many more fans are competing for a finite number of concert tickets. Maybe Mr. Kory underestimated that demand for tickets and booked Leonard in venues that are too small in some cities. We understand the frustration this creates for long time fans. However, we believe that Leonard and his management have acted and will continue to act with fans' interests foremost in mind. While there is a limit to what Leonard can do to control the resale of his tickets, there is no limit to Leonard's integrity. Again, Leonard is not involved in any plan or program wherein he would profit from the resale of tickets on TicketExchange, TicketsNow or any of the myriad ticket broker sites where scalpers have purchased tickets and are now reselling them at market prices. With that in mind, we would appreciate it if longtime members here would see to it that this message is copied and repeated again and again when newbies come to this forum and suggest otherwise. We would also encourage fans to express appreciation for Leonard’s tireless efforts. The ultimate solution to the ticketing problem is for Leonard to do more shows in larger venues. We have attended Leonard’s arena shows. They are fantastic.

Marie & Jarkko
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 »

A Brick in the Wall wrote:
Walsh75 wrote:With all due respect, for ppl complaining about the ticket prices, outside of the VIP seat, the "regular priced" tickets are the going rate for concerts. $250 for main floor is usually the norm.

Again, I've said in other posts, when I went to see Van Morrison at The Fox in Detroit last year, his main floor went for $300, but if you wanted VIP, those cost you $100 extra. Still nowhere close to Cohen's $550 and you could by them single (as I did, going alone) But FYI, Morrison only played his standard 90 mins. for those prices.

I can only speak for concerts that have come to my area this last decade. The only quick sell outs (aside from Cohen here now) in Detroit have been Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers. They played at the near by Joe Louis Arena a couple years ago. It seemed like most of those tickets sold out in pre-sale with a passcode you had to get from some Disney website. On the day of the regular sale, I tried getting some tickets for my uncle and his kid. Not even a chance.

Dont know how it is around the rest of the country but a LC song has NEVER aired on Detroit radio in my lifetime. When I talk about him to most ppl of various ages their reply is "Who? Never heard of him"...I would have never dreamed he had this much following to sell out so quick among city goers. Maybe it's ppl coming from out of town or we're still not getting the full story.

I'm sure managers never lie. Right? That will be up to the Attorney General to investigate and decide. IF the office does anything at all since the RIAA is a big supporter of the Obama Admininstration.
There is a seperate place for your politics...
"My politics" has nothing to do with it. For the record I am an Obama supporter. Everything I wrote above is fact! The RIAA are huge supporters of him and they threw big parties in his honor that whole week.

Don't say it's political just because you happen not to care for what I have to say. This whole issue to me is rolled into one.

And again. I can handle issues of fairness. It's what may or may not be legal or unethical that I have a problem with, and so should every other honest person on these boards. It will be up to the AG to decide what is what. I will have no choice but to stand by that decision. And until I hear from that office, I don't buy anything else right now.

I filed my complaint a couple of weeks ago. If anyone involved has a problem with me doing so, so be it. This recent explaination of things came way too late.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

In 1993 Leonard played the State Theatre and in 1988 the Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor. Detroit is but a bridge ride away from Canada where I went to see Leonard last year. I would humbly suggest that your sampling of Cohen fandome is not an accurate measure of the support for Leonard in our area. Obviously, he has played here before, found it enjoyable and successful and is returning to one of the most beautiful theatres in the country, The Fox Theatre.
I am not sure what to make of this statement. Do you have specific information that someone is lying?
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 »

My main point was Detroit radio for the fanbase here in the city and area. Megan you live around here too. Have you ever heard a Cohen song on the likes of 94.7fm, 100.3fm, ect. played on the air in the last 10, not to mention 20 or so years?

Yes I know. I live a stones throw from Detroit which is a stones throw by bridge to Canada where there seems to be an ultra huge following.

As far as who may or may not be lying, again, the U.S. AG will look into that.

All I know is, I was so upset at the stuff that I went through and saw (like many others) that I filed a complaint at the end of Feb. on all the details. Rather they take it seriously or do anything, I say, let the chips fall where they may.

Now we're hearing an attempt at an explaination within the last couple of days. Again it's too late as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to withdraw my complaint. I'd like to hear some direct answers going through the proper legal channels in my rights as a US citizen..
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

Ok, so clearly things aren't going well for you now... but, really, I was unemployed after a layoff, and had to sacrifice and forgo a lot of luxuries, because my benefits were less than yours. However, I also managed myself accordingly. If I couldn't afford it, I didn't go.

I don't mean to sound rude, but times have changed. Look here: http://www.billboard.com/yearend/2008/c ... ours.shtml

Cohen was not one of the top grossing acts. Even Dave Matthews Band, who was #17, charges about $60/head for LAWN seats.

This has nothing to do with Cohen or being greedy.
hesperides23

Post by hesperides23 »

Well, FWIW, I will close by sharing a dream I had last night just after I had been posting to this thread and reading the replies. In the dream, Beth Custer (she is a clarinetist/composer/musician with a diverse output ranging from rock to jazz to classical, and she is not much known beyond the San Francisco Bay Area where she continues to reside) was in my apartment (odd, since we are barely acquainted, haven't spoken or seen one another in years, and she's never visited me) and she was standing on a small stepladder, tacking up a poster for a concert she was going to be presenting in the near future right above the doorway. After I woke up, and recalled the dream and thought about it, I realized that the location on the wall where she was putting her poster was in the spot where there now hangs a framed Leonard Cohen LP cover (the back cover image from his first album).

My interpretation... Perhaps it would serve me well to displace my fixation with big-name musicians like Cohen and direct my interests to local, marginal independent artists who have music of value to offer and who don't charge exorbitant amounts of money for the privilege of witnessing their performances. Another facet to consider is that Beth Custer was the first teacher I had when I started playing bass clarinet some 15 years ago. The dream was also telling me that I should take what I have learned as an instrumentalist and move beyond being primarily a consumer of other people's music, and develop my own voice as an artist and spend more time and energy creating music than consuming it.

Thank you, Beth. Goodbye, Leonard. I wish everyone well.
Last edited by hesperides23 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..." (Noel Scott Engel)
mirka

Post by mirka »

Everybody knows the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, rich get rich
That's how it goes, everybody knows
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 »

Yeah the bottom line here that we can all agree on I'm sure is the key word "big".

The "Bigger" you get, the "bigger" venues you play. Bigger venues mean "bigger" price tags all around for everyone involved.

As of late I've been going to a lot of concerts in Ann Arbor. The Palace of Auburn Hills used to be my second home. Now the places in A2 are like The Ark, Michigan Music Theatre, etc. Lots of top name acts and underrated acts hit these places. In most cases average prices there are $25-$50 a ticket and no more than $100 a ticket.

These artists and venues may be on to something here especially in these tough economic times. And in contrast, old hacks like Elton John, Paul McCartney, and Billy Joel may suffer at places like The Palace of Auburn Hills charging $250 and up for tickets while playing the same setlists from the last 10-15 years mixed in with sappy "lounge singer" tunes from their newer albums.
sue7

Re: A Big Fuck You To Leonard Cohen and Ticketmaster

Post by sue7 »

hesperides23 wrote:
blue_94_trooper wrote:
hesperides23 wrote:I'll be discussing that with my therapist tomorrow, most likely.
How are you affording that?
Honestly, I don't think it's helpful to question the need for therapy for someone who is unemployed and in dire financial straits, even if you're irritated or angry at his comments. Just think: any of us could be in that situation in an instant in this economy. Those of us who are not are just plain lucky. This is the kind of situation where one is most likely to need a therapist, and it's great that hesperides23 is able to do that.
Hesperides23, I am wary of saying too much for fear of appearing to be pollyanna-ish or condescending but I do hope that things begin to improve for you, and I am sorry that you won't be able to go to a concert.
mirka

Re: A Big Fuck You To Leonard Cohen and Ticketmaster

Post by mirka »

sue7 wrote: Just think: any of us could be in that situation in an instant in this economy. Those of us who are not are just plain lucky.
I agree. I was unemployed once, and know what a terrible experience it is.
This is why I offered hesperides23 help to cover cost of a ticket. If other Forum members would care to contribute, maybe hesperides could see LC in concert after all.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

I'd be worrying about getting a job before getting tickets. Hell, I was snowed in at the newsroom when LC played the Beacon. You want to know what I did? I curled up on the station couch, opened Book of Longing and hung out until I fell asleep there (had the early morning the next day so it was great.) The best memory of my working at WATR so far, and it didn't cost me one single dime. You've hit hard times, well learn to make the best of them---because they may very well be the absolute best times.

Here's an example. When I was growing up in a rural part of Tennessee, we got sick of paying 100 smackers for cable that only had about 30 channels (what a monopoly.) So we went to rabbit ears. All of 2 channels came in (this was 1998 I might add.) So I read, drew, painted, did crafts, learned languages, you name it. Many, many brilliant things come out of what some consider bad situations-things you think you'd never learn, you learn to do.
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
PIPKINRAH

Post by PIPKINRAH »

To Trooper who made the snide remark about the unemployment benefits here's a little education. The amount you get depends on the state you live in and how much you made during the pass year at least that's the rule for NY. There is also a limit to the amount you will get no matter how much you earned. When my job was outsourced to Brazil I was making $92,000 a year, no paltry sum and my unemployment benefit was $450 dollars a week and that was before they took out taxes, yes even that is taxable. Some of the remarks here about the glories of supply and demand and the free market economy remind me of the current economic mess in which people bought houses that were overpriced but they just had to have that particular house. Many of these same supply siders and the market rule types are in foreclosure or are treading water. I also wonder how many people could have afforded the outrageous prices for these tickets if they had to pay cash? Aren't credit cards wonderful? They let you buy things you couldn't ordinarily afford and let entertainers charge huge amounts for tickets. My guess is that they would have had to lower the prices to fill the venues. Something for the unfeeling types on this board to think about.
'She said I'm tired of the war...
hesperides23

A Big *THANK YOU* To MIRKA And To All Of You

Post by hesperides23 »

I just want to publicly thank our forum member Mirka, who in an amazing act of kindness and generosity, has paid for a ticket so that I may have the rare pleasure of seeing Leonard Cohen in concert next month at one of his sold-out shows in Oakland. This is surely one of the most magnanimous gestures I've ever been blessed with from someone who is practically speaking a total stranger. When I initially posted here, it was to vent some bile and resentment, and I hardly expected to be rewarded by a free ticket. I had in fact resigned myself peacefully to not attending. I'm so very happy now that I will have this once-in-a-lifetime experience of seeing this artist perform, who I've loved and listened to for over thirty years now.

Thanks also to those of you who extended your sympathy and supportive goodwill to me in my current plight.

On unemployment, benefits, and credit cards... Yeah, my paltry benefit amount of $113 a week was calculated based on earnings I made in a quarter some 18 months ago or more. The fact is, I've been underemployed (working temp or part-time but seeking full-time permanent employment) since four years ago when I became disabled due to major depression. My inconsistent work history since then is making it all that much harder for me to get work now. And now, with so many others swelling the unemployed masses of job seekers, the competition is fierce. I'm working with all the available resources (mental healthcare, employment specialists and social services) to try and find work, but I am not the least optimistic. My best hope at this point is if I can get back on short-term disability. Someone was right in suggesting that I would not have been able to afford to buy tickets to this concert even if I had not lost my last job and was still working. But like everyone else, I would have bought a ticket anyway, using my credit card, even though I am $5000 in debt (that's the way we all live nowadays, isn't it?)

Thanks again to Mirka and to all of you...
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..." (Noel Scott Engel)

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”