CONCERT REPORT: New York, Feb 19 at the Beacon

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MaryB

Re: New York, February 19, 2009 - Beacon Theatre Show

Postby MaryB » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:22 am

mnkyface wrote:Can anyone give details about the pre-show reception?? (or is there a thread for it that I am missing?) I understand the band memebrs were there...was it everyone except Leonard? Did Lorca Cohen show her tour photographs as was mentioned on another thread?
Hi mnkyface,
I'll give it a try. My worst guess is that the VIP was attended by approx. 100-150 (please, somebody correct me). Upon entering, everyone received a tan tote bag with a picture of LC @ the Beacon Theatre picture on the outside. Inside the bag was a dark grey t-shirt with the same picture. We got two bags (one for me and one for my husband, George). One bag had a medium size shirt, the other a large. I don't know if the sizes given were random or not.
On the left was the souvenir table where you could purchase additional Beacon Theatre t-shirts, along w/souvenir programs, pins, etc. Unbeknowst to me at the time, my husband purchased a program, pin, and 2 more t-shirts (he didn't know 1 was in each bag but, that was okay because one of the bartenders wanted one for her friend who is a big LC fan and he gave it to her - being the cynic I am, I'm thinking it's already posted on ebay).
On the right was the main bar in the larger general area. Through a narrower section, the smaller bar was on the left of small back area.
The largest amount of attendees were congregated in the front section. Milling among us were band members, managers, and probably crew (not sure about this), some people sighted celebrities(hopefully more info on this will be posted). To me the amazing thing about this is that band members were not thronged. I walked up to Roscoe Beck, who was standing alone at that point, chatted briefly, and then asked how it felt for him to be almost incognito and he said 'it felt pretty good'. Neil Larsen also. Sharon and the Webb sisters were able to mingle for a few minutes before people finally approached them. It just seemed like there was no instant recognition. Must have been nice for them though to have a few moments of breathing room.
It was a bit difficult to move around with all the people there. There were so many people I had (wanted) to meet (with my clothes :lol: ) and just never did :cry: . The ones I was fortunate to meet, especially forum members, were lovely human beings. How could they not be - they're LC fans!
I forgot all about Lorca's photo exhibit in the excitement of trying to meet people until the next day! In hindsight, I honestly don't remember seeing any area that could have been set aside for this display. I am bummed :oops: that I missed one of the highlights of this show! Maybe others will be able to enlighten you (me too).
Hopes this gives you a little bit - so much of it is still a jumble of memories.
Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
dalessandrodd

Postby dalessandrodd » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:27 am

My wife and I were lucky enough to get into the Preshow. My guess is that about 200 people were allowed in. Each person recieved a complimentary Canvas Tote Bag with a Unigue "Leonard Cohen Beacon Theater" Logo on the front and inside was a Grey Tee shirt with the same logo. There were about 10 photographs of Leonard on display. The best part for us was the opportunity to meet and talk directly to both of the Web Sisters (Charlie and Hattie) and Sharon Robinson. We also got their autographs on the concert poster and a lot of people got photographs with them. I am amazed no one has posted any photos yet (that I know of). Let me tell you, the Web sisters and Sharon were very personable and great to talk to. They spent as much time as the fans wanted to talk and of course a lot of the talk was about the music and the tour. We chatted with Charlie and Hattie about the show we also saw in Manchester in June. They were beauliful , gracious and sweet and Leonard is Lucky to have them all on tour. Although we paid a premium for our tickets it was well worth it to meet all of the great Cohenites and swap stories with other fans and some of the artists.

One last thought, It was also worth it to get into the theater early and get warm instead of waiting outside in line freezing. Sorry for those waiting out side wish you all could have joined us.

Don
Opera House/Manchester, UK June 19th, 2008, Beacon Theatre/New York City Feb 19th, 2009, Academy of Music/Philadelphia May 12th, 2009, Webb Sisters/Webster Hall, NYC May 15th, 2009, Tower Theater/Philadelphia, Oct 22nd, 2009
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:35 am

anneporter wrote:Esther,
I'm staring to think the "VIP" reception was like the Emperor's new clothes--nobody's posting about it because nobody wants to admit it was nothing special, after all.

Anne
Anne,
I think we just didn't want to make you feel any worse. I am sooooo sorry the weather did not cooperate :cry: . I hope you were able to at least recoup the price of your concert and airline tickets and be able to use those funds for a future concert.
Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:49 am

Something went awry with the link and/or photos, Lightning :lol: . Not that a "dumb test" isn't useful.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lightning

Postby lightning » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:51 am

I deleted it because the photo link from imageshack did not show up. Maybe Jarkko will put it on the LC files.
I uploaded some pictures to Flickr. I put descriptions on them but the page disappeared before I had a chance to finish. You all know who you are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26075257@N07/
Last edited by lightning on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:54 am

I will wait for more photos to come in, and then make a new page (after I'm back home)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:54 am

lightning wrote:I deleted it because the photo link from imageshack did not show up.Image
No wonder I also couldn't view the photos - I took the dumb test as a personal affront :lol: :razz:
Thanks for trying, hope you can get them posted here.
Best regards,
Mary
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:09 am

Yes, as Marie has indicated, the Emperor was fully dressed... the crowd is what gave that fact a twist, however. Do not take that as a complaint, however. The VIP reception took place in the Beacon lobby [I'd anticipated a separate room, with more space between people ;-) ], so getting an overview of the happenings was just a bit difficult. I got distracted early on after entering by the t-shirts, bags, and programs for sale. The gift bags arrived after I was already in and, fortunately, realized what had just been brought in, so I backtracked to get one. A wonderful gift of a special-issue, off-white bag and dark grey t-shirt, each marked with the occasion. Then, I noticed one of Lorca's photos. I only saw two, though there were obviously more. Lightning took my picture standing next to one and I nearly drove the guard standing by the photos to do her duty of protecting them crazy. I was very aware of my proximity, but she didn't know that and thinking I might knock into them, kept cautioning me. She did her job well. The two I saw were beautiful and were of Leonard performing.

I'm not very celebrity conscious, unless they're specific to me, so the only one who suddenly 'owned' the room when I saw her was Sharon Robinson. Her presence and countenance seemed to absorb all the surrounding light and she created her own ambient glow. I, frankly, was in disbelief and I cut short/stopped whatever I was doing to move toward her and wait so I could meet her. I recall too well how I felt when I read how some met her by happenstance out and about at one of the European concerts and it wasn't really jealousy or envy, but such a strong sense of oh, how I wish that I could meet her! And then there she was... with a HUGE and charismatic smile, she engages with people in such a genuine way. It's as if she enjoys the process as much as those who are getting to meet her. As I watched her interact with others, and then with me, I thought what a great lesson Leonard's own humble and grateful encounters with his fans have been for those who have the privilege of traveling with him, those who travel blind. If they weren't already that way or haven't already absorbed how much is gained by graciousness, sincerity, and gratitude, when interacting with admirers, all they need to do is watch him and his impact on those who meet him... and Sharon was the very same. There were [obviously] other band members amidst the crowd, but when I met Sharon, it was a done deal for me. Such a strong woman and one I've admired so much for so long. She's brought so much to Leonard's music world. Another time for whatever others was fine with me. You don't have to reach in to find out who she is... who she is reaches out and wraps itself around you. An amazing woman with such a strong and powerful presence and still so genuine. When I say I love her, well, I just mean I love her! To finally meet her was just So Great! She has the air of an icon about her; with the sincere, warm energy of a friend.

If Leonard had shown up, he'd have certainly created more of a flurry than the gift bags... so, unless I missed it, he did not. There was no disappointment surrounding that, however, as I hadn't expected it. He has too much to give when he takes the stage to siphon off his energies, pre-show, with fan interactions. I was frankly amazed to see Sharon there. I never saw the Webb Sisters. I would have enjoyed meeting Dino Soldo, whose body language as he performs is off-the-charts cool and so in sync with the dynamics of his music. With his own body absorbed in the music, he creates visual art as well.

The time passed quickly. I met our ahead-of-his-time, 14-year-old radio broadcaster with his father, who had last seen Leonard at the Beacon so many years ago... both so cool! I looked for them at the after-concert gathering, but it was even more crowded than the reception :shock: . Impossible. And I met up again with our now-married [same woman], longtime-devoted Japanese fan, whose name I'll return to insert [want to be sure I've got it right]. It's such a treat to see them show up at Events year after year. Had the privilege of meeting the beautiful French 8) wife of Sam Sebban, whom I first met on Hydra.

Pins!?! I didn't know they had PINS for sale at the reception :shock: ! Dang it. I brought the burning violin pin with me, intending to wear it... and in my rush to get there, at all, ran off without it :( ... but I'm sure its time was well spent in the hotel room.

I would have loved to have seen Lorca's other eight photos... but, suddenly, it was time to go inside the theatre proper.

Anne ~ I was gutted to hear what happened to your plans. I don't mean sad, I mean gutted. I can't even imagine how it must feel for you to read all these reports.

I can't imagine saying any more in any better of a way about the concert itself... beyond what Leonard from Montreal, Gussie Cat, Violet, and Paul Ostermayer have already said. I'll no doubt subscribe to additional ones, as well, though. I wish I'd thought to look for Paul there; I'd have loved to have said hello to him, again; and asked to see a recent photo of his beautiful, young daughter... I'm sure he had one with him.

More later...

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Re: Bootleg CD of Beacon show

Postby ladydi » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:16 am

Hi Denise and Lizzy,

Just got home a couple of hours ago, landing in a blinding snowstorm (will it never stop?) and still have to put my thoughts and feelings of the concert into words on the Forum. Perhaps later tonight or tomorrow.

Denise, no, I still cry when trying to talk about the concert! In fact, I was sitting on the plane in Newark looking out at a tug on the ramp and the tears came again. A tug! But it has all connected to me on a level far deeper than I could imagine.

Lizzy...how absolutely wonderful to meet you! I was amazed how empty the streets of the West Side are at close to 3am :D ...and cold...brrrr

I'll be either sending personal messages to you guys or calling you, but you both were so much a part of a very special evening with Leonard (and a few others 8) ).

All the best,
Diana
lightning

Postby lightning » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:29 am

I'll bet whoever stole those t-shirts was someone who bought a ticket from an ebay scalper, and felt so ripped off himself he had to share the bad energy. Maybe the t-shirts will appear on Ebay from him.
IrishMar

Postby IrishMar » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:50 am

Well my body is back in Dublin, but I'm still floating on air! February 19th is a day I will never forget.

The day was lovely and I was wandering around New York. I was excited in anticipation of the night ahead and then I couldn't believe my luck, what I have dreamed of and wished for, for a long time happened...

I'd been so close before, having waited with a small group outside the stage door of the RAH after the first concert. Despite being told by security staff that Leonard had departed immediately after the concert we held out hoping for the best. It was only when a limo driver informed us that he had personally driven Leonard away that we reluctantly left, leaving a handful of people behind. I was devestated when I logged onto the Forum on my return to Dublin the following day to see a photo of Leonard with two girls who were waiting with us outside the RAH, he was still there afterall! There were tears in our house that night.

My husband (IrishAL) always says "every dog has its day", and despite objecting to the reference, this was my day. I met Leonard... It was just after lunch when I saw him, this was my chance, he was on his own and I approached him, feeling a little guilty for intruding, but I wasn't going to let the opportunity pass. He put me at ease immediately. I introduced myself and told him that I had come all the way from Ireland to see him. He said, "That's a very long way to come to see me, darlin' " to which I replied "Ah, but you came all the way to see us".

I produced my copy of The Book of Longing and asked if he would sign it, I explained how I carried it to each concert venue I had been to in the hopes of meeting him. I also asked if he would sign the cd cover of Ten New Songs for my twelve year old daughter, the new generation of fan, to which he said "whatever you want, darling". He signed my book, but the pen wouldn't work on the cd cover, so he wrote a note for my daughter instead. He asked Robert Kory to take a photo of us (and yes ladies, his skin is really soft!). We had a big hug and he departed for the rehersals.

To say that I was over the moon would be an understatement. He was as kind, gracious and charming as one imagines him to be and I was struck by the aura of calm about him and so grateful that he took the time out of his busy life to make my moment special.
Marie
Attachments
leonard-Cohen-New-York_Feb-.gif
leonard-Cohen-New-York_Feb-.gif (253.04 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
Last edited by IrishMar on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:05 am

Oh, Marie, that's such a beautiful, beautiful picture of you and Leonard together. You both are positively glowing. All your almost-happeneds were worth the one that actually did... and such a lovely story. Your response to Leonard was, by the way, perfect.

Thanks so much for sharing your encounter and photo with us. I'm so happy for you and for your daughter. Proof positive that good things are worth waiting for, and as Leonard would say...

All good things,
Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Postby ladydi » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:01 am

Oh m'gosh Marie. How absolutely awesome! A wonderful photo of you and Leonard! How lucky can you get?! I lurked around but never found him...sigh :( :(

My emotions re the concert will be posted tomorrow. Just got home this afternoon and still floating.

That is a beautiful photo and simply glows with peace, happiness and joy!

Diana
davidrichards

Postby davidrichards » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:13 am

Doesn't this just prove, if proof were ever needed, that Leonard Cohen is an exceptional person, a real superstar who always has, and always will, value his fans!
I have seen the concerts in Dublin, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester and am hoping to travel to Ottawa in May but would happily swop these for a photo. such as you have!
Paula

Postby Paula » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:14 am

Marie isn't life strange. It reminded me of the guy who bumped into Leonard in a car park just before a concert in England

I love your come back on Leonard saying you had come a long way.

David fingers crossed for you.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”