CONCERT REPORT: New York, Feb 19 at the Beacon

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
janine

Re: NYTimes Beacon Review

Post by janine »

Hi lucky ones who went to the VIP party?
I am still curious about the preconcert Party? any reviews, pictures??
Janine
da2008

Re: New York, February 19, 2009 - Beacon Theatre Show

Post by da2008 »

Unbelievable. I loved every second of it, but wish people would leave to get beers in the middle of songs a bit less. Oh, the upper balcony :D
wakeupmartin

Post by wakeupmartin »

IrishAl, that's a great video. I'm going to enjoy browsing your other offerings. Thanks. -Martin
lcnash

Post by lcnash »

Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

NPR To Broadcast Leonard Cohen New York Concert On February 26, 2009

http://1heckofaguy.com/category/leonard-cohen/

Leonard Cohen Beacon Theater Performance Goes Online
From NPR’s All Songs Considered blog,

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2009/ ... bcast.html

In an effort to fight the ticket brokers, Cohen’s management is allowing us to stream a recording of this entire Beacon Theater performance. We’ll post it online on Feb. 26. Details will appear in our show on Monday, and on our Twitter feed @allsongs.

The link to this webcast is NPR Music

http://www.npr.org/music/?sc=re&cc=nprmusic
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
Dumbjaw

Post by Dumbjaw »

Unbelievable.

My sentiments echo all of those posted so far. Just wanted to contribute a small miracle that happened. My girlfriend and I were seated in Row K of the Center-Left Loge. The last row, a small peninsula of 7 seats. In the middle of the third song ("Ain't No Cure For Love"), a staff member of the Beacon Theatre approached our row and asked if there were any groups of two sitting. In our row, there was a group of three, a group of one, a group of one, and then my girlfriend and I. We were asked if we'd like to move further up, as there was a handicapped man with a cane that needed a handicapped-accessible seat. We obliged, and our tickets were quickly taken and replaced by the management's, at which point we were quickly ushered to... the first row of Center Loge in the dead center!

Here's a map showing what I mean:

Our view was just amazing, the night was amazing, the gift bags were a fantastic surprise, and it was great meeting so many people, even though I didn't really know anybody! What a night, what a night.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

What a lovely tale, Dumbjaw. You give up your seat for a disabled person, and Karma rewards you for your consideration.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
HMUnger

Post by HMUnger »

hydriot wrote:
HMUnger wrote:My only disappointment was with the gaggle of photographers allowed to snap away through the first song. Their shutter-clicking really annoyed my entire section.
Leonard has an arrangement with the press that they may photograph as much as they like during the first song, but after that their license expires and they are required to leave him alone. I think this approach works well. Better to be completely disturbed for one song than to be occasionally disturbed throughout the entire concert.
Whatever the case, the photographers were still VERY annoying. There were people in my section who were even more upset than me, one of which tried standing up and blocking the cameras. Also, while Beacon staff ushered the gaggle of fotogs out of the area after the first song, a few kept returning. After 20 minutes or so, all was well in our section and the concert, as I stated, was magnificent. The 20 minutes, by the way, coincided with the rush of a lot of concert-goers who couldn't get in on time. Entry into the Beacon was a MADHOUSE. I was astonished that LC started promptly at 8. Then again, he's the perfect the gentleman, so I shouldn't be surprised.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

By far, for me, the best redition of I'm Your Man' I have heard to date. The emotion, phrasing, emphasis on certain words made the whole so much more intense than any other performance of this song to date!
What a priviledge to have been part of this experience!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Marcello

Post by Marcello »

what a beautiful setlist really, hope to see him on this new tour
Box_of_Rain

Bootleg CD of Beacon show

Post by Box_of_Rain »

Wouldn't it be nice! I'd be happy to buy one. I wish there would have been CD's for sale at the show. I asked the sound board guy about it. I asked if they recorded the shows. He said they record and video tape every show. I asked if he thought this show would be available. He said, no.

Did you all cry the next day, after it was all over? What an emotional event. Just beautiful.

When I was following the Grateful Dead, they allowed a taper's section...people brought in their recording equipment...it was quite an experience to go to a show, and after the show, go back to the hotel and listen to the show again!!!

Couldn't Cohen, have available for purchase specific shows? Just like a bootleg, not a big new album production...just something simple...maybe even avialable at the shows, in just a little sleeve with no cover or anything...

I want a CD bootleg of the Beacon show (not a DVD)! In my dreams, I guess.

Cheers, everybody! It was so nice to meet you! You are such a sweet bunch!

Denise
lizzytysh

Re: Bootleg CD of Beacon show

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, Denise, it would be great to have a cd of it. Whenever Leonard speaks A Thousand Kisses Deep, by the end of it [it's happened instinctively now four times] my hands have gone into a prayer position, the tips of my fingers touching just beneath my chin. I clearly experience it as a prayer, as I've not once done that with any intent. It's just happened. Four times now.

I'm so glad you were able to go and that I met you... and thank you for obliging me and a capella singing me your name. It's a song you know well and you sang it beautifully. I found the photos of the Dead Heads I knew, back in my room. I was running so late, barely getting to the venue on time, that I'd accidentally left them behind.

I hope your dreams materialize with a cd of Leonard's magnificent Beacon show.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Can anyone give details about the pre-show reception?? (or is there a thread for it that I am missing?) I understand the band memebrs were there...was it everyone except Leonard? Did Lorca Cohen show her tour photographs as was mentioned on another thread?
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by anneporter »

Esther,
I'm staring to think the "VIP" reception was like the Emperor's new clothes--nobody's posting about it because nobody wants to admit it was nothing special, after all.

Anne
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Actually, the VIP reception was special. The give aways were a T-shirt and tote bag specially done up to commemmorate the Beacon Theatre performance. People got pictures with Sharon and the Webb sisters. Lorca's beautiful photos were on display on easels around the lobby, which was gorgeous. It was a great chance to connect with lots of fans who were there. Unfortunately, it was crowded and as the hour went on, it got more crowded. That made it difficult to get a view of Lorca's photos because you couldn't step back and take them in with so many people so close. I managed to move from the front of the lobby to the back only once with great effort because of the crowd. I wanted to see what other band members were there. But by then it was just too crowded to get an idea who was there. I enjoyed the reception and I'm sure there will be photos posted. I just got back home today and many people are still in NY or in route home.
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”