Special Concert in New York

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Paul Zagreb

Re: Special Concert in New York

Post by Paul Zagreb »

amcgee wrote: its great that this concert is going a head, but really its just another concert, except this time it's in New York.
Oh, how times change us. Imagine saying that about ten months ago ... as Jarkko says, this is more than "just another concert" and I really feel that everything is being done to respond to concerns that the best seats too often went to scalpers and touts in the past. I still think it is a wonderful gesture - we made most of the 'hype' ourselves - but I for one kind of hope that it may not be the last such gesture or surprise that the master and his 'cruel' general secretary Jarkko have in store for us. By the way, I am pretty sure that it was ladydi who first guessed correctly what the surprise was ... I hope that can be rewarded appropriately!

paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
amcgee

Post by amcgee »

hi jarkko

to be honest , money permitting i would love to go, money and family reasons mean i can't,
the excitement of this special announcement was a disappointment really, the big annoucment should having being announced from day one, giving more than a week to decide whether to go or not. 2 days notice for such a big committment is the angle i am coming from and why i am a bit annoyed to be honest.

Sorry if you think i am annoyed at you Jarkko, i am not. 2 days notice for people at this side of thew atlanitc is too short notice, but good luck to those who go, i am sure it will be a memorable occasion and look forward to the report on this great forum.
amcgee :razz:
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The presale is confirmed to begin - as we have announced - at 2 pm EST on Jan 14
Ticketmaster says it ends 10 pm on the same day - after only 8 hours.
The public sale begins on Jan 16.
I expect to get the details tonight and will update the pages immediately.

Meanwhile it would be a good idea to register to http://www.ticketmaster.com to get
your password etc. ready for Wednesday!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
da2008

Post by da2008 »

thank you so much Jarkko!
citizen

Post by citizen »

Hi, Hola, Hej, Privet friends, amigos!

About this concert I have to say I´m disappointed because I can´t see what it´s special. At the rest of concerts weren´t there fans? I respect all of your opinions and I hope you understand my words. I love Cohen´s songs for many years, they helpme a lot, but pay a lot of money and have to accept no sense rules (no cd or books to sign, for example) is ridiculous for me. If I love a singer or a writer, if I´m a fan, and for me it´s important have a signed book or a picture, nobody can say me what can do after pay my ticket. And I´m sure Leonard understands us.

Take care and happy new year!!!
da2008

Post by da2008 »

seeing how the news about this is out there, i'm not going to bother with the vip tickets, as attractive and great as the idea is... just want to get my pair anywhere in the house to see the concert. good luck everyone
da2008

Post by da2008 »

[quote="citizen"]if I´m a fan, and for me it´s important have a signed book or a picture, nobody can say me what can do after pay my ticket. And I´m sure Leonard understands us. quote]

I'm sure we can just give him a break. It's a privelege being in the same venue with the guy so I'm pretty happy and understanding of his requests.
ManiSav

Post by ManiSav »

Sorry to see a small number of less than positive comments re the special Concert here. I've been lucky enough to see two of the concerts earlier in the year, and would love to take in the New York special event. Unfortunately I booked a holiday a few weeks ago, and this will prevent me attending - and my family have been ultra-supportive in me feeding my addiction over the past few months and I just can't stretch to this one.

I have to say its a remarkable testament to the special relationship between this forum and Leonard that such a thing can even happen, and to Jarkko for acting as the essential link.

Now - I do plan to be in the Boston / NYC area over the summer. Can anyone give me a hint - is there a good time to be there or a bad time if I was looking one more concert ?

I hope the members who do attend have the time of their lives, and then tell us all about it.

Mani
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

"I am almost positive the announcement will have to do with a special concert in NY"...

Hi Paul,

I had forgotten about my guess but went back to double check and you are RIGHT! I was RIGHT! Well, I will put in my special request with Jarkko and Marie for front row center...yeah right 8)

But I am just thrilled to know that I am going regardless of where I sit :D :D :D :D

Thanks for remembering!

Diana
xoxo
malonious

Post by malonious »

i'm only 24 years old so naturally i haven't had much opportunity to see Leonard Cohen live but am very excited for this concert announcement and hope hope hope that i am able to get tickets.
fisherinbelfast

Post by fisherinbelfast »

it would be even better if fans who can,t just jump on a plane to new york could have it as a webcast or live on tv , whats the chances of it being broadcast Jarkko?. hey Jarkko i thought he was gonna annonce that he was coming to belfast :D
Chema

Post by Chema »

I don't want to offend... But I'm agree with Citizen. I'm disappointed with this new :( :( . It isn't a special new for me. It's only another concert. Yes, the first in USA. And with these rules look like we're disturbing or dangerous people.
da2008

Post by da2008 »

all the people with negative reactions to the announcement: what sort of thing did you expect? why does it bother you that you couldn't get your books/cds signed. it does state in the announcement that leonard cohen is not expected to attend the reception at all. the beacon theatre is a beautiful and intimate venue, the concert is in one month and you get an excellent opportunity to meet with other fans, see athe great man perfrom live in new york for the first time in hoe many years? whay all the negativity? i've only been able to go to one concert last year and missed both of his london shows by one day. with additional tour dates being announced on an one month at a time basis, this is great news!! i don't know why i'm ranting about the obvious, but to each his/her own, i guess. i wish you all to get great seats for the us tour whenever it's announced and hope you guys get a bit of a more positive outlook at what's going on here. i feel like we're all getting a bit spoilt...
da2008

Post by da2008 »

it looks like the presale is gone from the ticketmaster event page. good.

jarkko - do you have any idea if tickets will be available at all price levels or floors only? just need to understand how much money i would actually need for this...

***There will be tickets in all price levels. Because of a very limited number, the tickets with the VIP reception will be sold out first. Those are also available in all categories. / Jarkko***
glen blair

Post by glen blair »

I am so surprised at the comparisons people are making between Leonard and Bob Dylan - I don't think they are in the same league at all! Although I haven't seen Dylan live, my daughter has, and was not impressed at all, despite expecting much after all the hype surrounding him. She came with me to see Leonard in Dublin (having really only listened to his work after we booked the tickets) and was totally blown away! I've loved Leonard's work for over 40 years, it has helped me through so many of life's offerings, and he is still producing brilliant, thought-provoking, heartfelt work, taking such care to ensure the best delivery whatever the format. I have only managed to see him once, Dublin 15 June, the most amazing event for me - just to be in the same country as him, never mind the same city, after all these years - I still can't believe it!! I'm just so grateful to whoever caused him to take to the road again, giving me this opportunity, and so pleased he has been able to see just what he means to so many of us. As for being 'milked' - no way when he works so hard to produce such excellence!! Hope all of you lucky enough to see him really appreciate how lucky you are!! Wish it could be me!!!!!!

Every heart......

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”