CONCERT REPORT: Manchester, November 30

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
SuzanneC

CONCERT REPORT: Manchester, November 30

Post by SuzanneC »

It's five in the evening, the end of November, I'm writing you now...

Just to wish all of you lucky who will be tomorrow in Manchester to enjoy this last performance in Europe. Hopefully just last European concert in this year, not forever :D Anyway I wish I could be there...Please say goodbye to Leonard also in behalf of me! And all of us, who will be tomorrow in Manchester just in our minds, we are looking forward to all your experiences soon.
Last edited by SuzanneC on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mydoglorca

Re: Manchester, November 30

Post by mydoglorca »

Really looking forward to tomorrow but hope I won't feel too sad. Just hoping that Leonard will realise we all really want to see him again & return next year even if just for a few concerts. Just give us time to save up a bit of money
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
phillip

Post by phillip »

well I wont be there this time :cry: but I was in Manchester in June and Birmingham last Saturday so I have those happy memories say hello to Leonard from me and hope to see him again before this tour ends good luck Leonard and to everyone who will be there enjoy the concert :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

And please please please could someone record the final words of farewell to these shores so that we might all find some grain of hope to cling to in the dark nights to come. You-tube awaits :)
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
hogan

Post by hogan »

Just got back from the concert.

Magnificent as usual and the same setlist as the Albert Hall. Quite an emotional evening with a moving farewell. Leonard just bid us goodbye till we meet again but said that he didn't know when that would be.
Joan

Post by Joan »

Fantastic show as always - For 73 he sure is sprightly !!
I found it bitter sweet and very emotional - Hopefully I will get to see him perform live again but part of me just felt tonight could well be my last Leonard live concert - I thought his recital of 'If it be your will' was particularily touching. The finale with all the crew on stage was lovely. 'A Thousand Kisses Deep' was, and always is a highlight for me - absolutely beautiful.
I didn't take any photo's but I recorded a few songs - hopefully they came out well - they would be something to treasure.
I was in Block C - Row D so I don't know if I was near any of you - sorry i didn't get to the pub today - the flight was a bit late getting in and time just seemed to get away from me...pity....
I'm off to the hotel bar now for a drink - will catch up here during the week.
Kind Regards, Joan.
davem99

Post by davem99 »

Hi

Just got into work after after last nights European finale. And what a way to leave us.

The setlist is already posted elsewhere so here's a few personal highlights.

Firstly my surprise at how well the show came across in the enormous MEN Arena.

Having been privileged to witness my three previous concerts on this tour in the very intimate confines of the Manchester Opera House in June I feared that my memories of those amazing nights would be tarnished by seeing this show in a cavenous arena. I was wrong, although I cannot vouch from the third row on the floor what it looked, and more to the point, sounded like from the back stand, I can say that the performance came across wonderfully. The addition of the video screens whilst being unnecessary for me from my vantage point were of great help to those further back.

The sound was as ever immaculate but still so quite especially for an arena gig. I would be interested to hear from people further back how it sounded.

Standouts for me in the first half were In My Secret Life (I just love this song) and it was great to finally see Chelsea Hotel #2 given its inclusion over the last couple of weeks.

In the second half The Partisan was a standout as was Sharon's solo turn on Boogie Street. Now as friends will attest I am in love with Sharon Robinson (purely professionally you understand!!). However, I have to say she was amazing last night.

Famous Blue Rainsoat was stunning followed by If It Be Your Will which was my teary moment of the night. The performance was just spine tingling.

The final ensemble Whither Thou Goest with all the crew on was moving too as was Leonards heartfelt thank to them for there work on the tour.

He bid us farewell by saying he didn't know when we would meet again before dancing off stage and into my memories.

I truly hope that this is not the last time I have the honour to see him live but if it is I will take my memories of this years Manchester gigs with me always.

Dave
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

davem99 wrote:
Having been privileged to witness my three previous concerts on this tour in the very intimate confines of the Manchester Opera House in June I feared that my memories of those amazing nights would be tarnished by seeing this show in a cavenous arena. I was wrong,

Dave
I was at the Opera House on June 18th 2008. The atmosphere then was electric. I too was concerned that playing in an arena would not be able to compare to the brilliance of the Opera House. I was wrong.The audience took a little longer to give their first standing ovation, but the 8500 crowd were soon on their feet.
The concert its self was better if that was possible. Leonard seemed to be really enjoying himself.For me the highlight was " The Partisan" but what will stay in the memory was Leonard dancing off stage at the end of the sets. If you can imagine the Morecambe and Wise dance but without the arms behind the head then you won't be far wrong!

It was great meeting some of you last night - I hope you all enjoyed the concert as much as I did.
Last edited by FOXWOOD on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
j9sunny

Post by j9sunny »

Well...that's the way to say goodbye!

Sitting up in the Gods the view might not have been perfect but the sound was flawless. There was not as much chat as Birmingham but that meant time for Wither Thou Goest, unlike the NEC.

Having seen LC three times in the last month, I am amazed at his - and the band's- ability to come across so fresh and vibrant each time.

At the end of Tower of Song it really seemed as if he, Sharon Robinson and the Webb sisters were the only people in the room as he urged them to ignore our applause and sing for him!

Well, there were 8,500 of us sitting out there, equally spellbound.

Thanks, Leonard. Again.

Janine
Bournemouth/Birmingham/Manchester
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Wonderful. I thought I would feel very sad today but haven't come back down to earth yet. Great atmosphere in the Arena. Excellent seats in block C row L. Very emotional. Immaculate, impeccable performance by all.
Ken- sorry we weren't in time for a drink, maybe next time?. It was nice to meet you & put a face to a name. Many thanks for the Cd- will play later, that was very kind.
Foxwood- good to say hello, you must bring your wife next time? And others, nice to meet you.

Leonard, thank you, you are THE best, please come back!
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Was it only 8500?? Seemed alot more.

Jill
theotherside

Post by theotherside »

Shame that there wasn't a lot that was fresh but it was ok
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

I asked some arena staff - they told me that it was 8500 people last night (not sold out!)

My wife has agreed to come with me next time! My 3 yr old daughter wants to come too but only to sing along to
Hallelujah which is one of her favorite songs admittedly that may have more to do with Shrek rather than Leonard but at least it's a start.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
slownight

Post by slownight »

It was a truly wonderful evening and it felt like I had come full circle since seeing Leonard on 20th June. On that date, I was completely overwhelmed by emotion; this time, I was more able to focus on the songs and the musicians as well as Leonard, although of course emotions ran high and I confess to having tears in my eyes for much of the evening. The music was as incredible as ever, as reviews of other concerts have indicated. Leonard was on top form and every song was sung with passion and intensity. He seemed to know on ‘I’m your man’, that he really was our man. In Hallelujah, after singing the line, ‘I used to live alone before I knew you’ he looked up to the audience and said, "Thank you” quickly, before moving on and this heartfelt thanks to his fans was greeted by claps. The audience gave him and the band several standing ovations and clapped intensely for Leonard just before the Webb sisters sang ‘If it be your will’; it was a moving moment for him also. At the end of the concert, the crew came on alongside Leonard to sing 'Whither thou goest' and he thanked everyone, including the cooks on the tour. There was a great cheer when Leonard introduced Rob Hallett as the man who got him back on tour. Leonard said, “I don’t know when I will be back” and it did feel like a solemn goodbye. As everyone finally left the stage, he came back for a few seconds and lingered at the curtain left-stage, doffing his hat and taking one last bow. We clapped our thanks for a lifetime of pleasures and then Rob Hallett placed his hand on Leonard’s back and gently led him backstage, leaving us to say our own goodbyes. On the way back to the hotel, we reflected on the significance of this tour both for lifelong fans and for Leonard - it is a perfect way to say our 'thank you's' and 'goodbyes' and I would like to thank Leonard for giving us that opportunity. (We can't thank you enough for what you have given us over our lifetimes, Leonard, but the concerts have enabled us to signify something of this gratitude.) Thank you also to Jarkko for enabling fans to get great tickets and to everyone for their YouTube videos, concert reviews and recordings – the pleasures of the tour have been intensified because we have been able to share the joys. So, the end of a very blessed and completely joyful period for those of us in Europe – I look forward to reading the reviews of the Pacific tour in due course. You are in for the time of your lives - enjoy!
davem99

Post by davem99 »

FOXWOOD wrote:I asked some arena staff - they told me that it was 8500 people last night (not sold out!)
The capacity of the MEN Arena in the configuration used last night is 17,000. With the 200 level closed off with the exception of the two front side blocks on each side that would further reduce the capacity by about 4,000 so I reckon there were at least 13,000 in there last night. The lower tier was completey full.

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”