Press Reviews of Fall 2008 UK dates?

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
asta

Press Reviews of Fall 2008 UK dates?

Post by asta »

Has there been any 'reviews' / press reports of any of the UK concerts this Fall?
I thought that some of the out - of - London - concerts might have had press reviews? And certainly the Royal Albert Hall.

For such a legend (and great band) to be performing across the UK - where are the reports ? Two 'Brit's' in the band too. ASTA
stephencharlton

Re: Press Reviews of Fall 2008 UK dates?

Post by stephencharlton »

The summer tour was quite well covered by the British press, they might not differentiate between the summer leg and the 'fall' leg of the tour ?
2008 Manchester
London O2 x3
2009 Berlin
2010 Poland
2012 Belgium
2013 London 02
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

This is the only one that I've seen, so far...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... hen114.xml

All the best, John E
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Yes, you are right, john. Ithink the coverage by the national newspapers has been very poor. But has Leonard's management and promoters been doing enough to promote this tour? No interviews and no radio or tv shows has been a bad mistake in my opinion. It has been mostly fans going to the concerts so the general public no nothing about him or his music.
CamilleBeauchamp

Post by CamilleBeauchamp »

Because the Summer Tour was quite heavily (and very positively) reviewed it would be difficult for UK reviewers to find justification for further reviews/coverage - editors (both print and broadcasting) would ask what they could say that hasn't already been said. They wouldn't be reviewing new material... new performers... the set is almost the same (save the delightful introduction of Democracy to the second encores). That's not to say I wouldn't have loved to see more written for the Fall Tour, but I work in the media, and can see there wouldn't be justification in any editorial sense. No news/event/album release (since the Summer Tour) to warrant it. Only an interview with Mr Cohen himself, or a new story angle would do it. But I can see why i/vs haven't been on the cards, and having attended this year's London concerts, Ledbury and Paris (one night only for the latter, sadly, but it was worth it for the reception of The Partisan), I'm feeling a little fatigued from just watching...

Given that the concerts have been consistently sold-out, it could also be argued that doing print interviews/tv/radio would be unnecessary as well as exhausting. And speaking selfishly, I'm grateful for the decision to concentrate on the gigs (how many other performers are doing 3 hour plus shows without support?) rather than the promotion; it's shown a tremendous respect for the audience.

The live album/DVD is bound to be picked up though - and assuming it's post/between tours, personal interviews/media appearances would then benefit sales and potentially bring the material to a wider audience. A glut of coverage now based on personal appearances might mean less coverage for the album/DVD releases next year.

Of course, between now and then I'll be looking for any excuse to incorporate LC into any bit of work I do...

Lisa
CamilleBeauchamp

Post by CamilleBeauchamp »

This doesn't quite constitute a review, but in today's Sunday Times Style magazine (page 18):

"... It is not only sex that the older generation is so wholeheartedly embracing - they're behaving in every way like born-again teens. Emma Soames, Saga magazine's editor-at-large, reports that during a Leonard Cohen concert in the Albert Hall earlier this month, "when he sang, 'If you want a doctor, I'll examine every inch of you', there were audible yelps from the crowd. He's 74", she says..."

Methinks age irrelevant in this instance...

Lisa
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Camille..

Absolutely! Two years ago this would not have even happened, but I am now reassessing (and "checking out") every 70 plus man I encounter.....and....basing them all on Leonard, which I am sure is not fair to the individual gentlemen, but ya know...some don't seem so bad. Still like my men younger but would take someone like Leonard any day :D :D :D .... with due respects to Anjani 8)

Agree with you that in Leonard's case age IS totally irrelevant ;-)

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”