CONCERT REPORTS: Glasgow, November 5 and 6

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
vardagal52

Re: Glasgow, November 5-6

Post by vardagal52 »

I envy you guys.
I have to fly all over the world in order to see and hear Leonard Cohen.
I live in Israel, where Leonard Cohen was supposed to give a concert on September 18th, but this was cancelled.
In July I flew to Rome for a concert, then two months later I flew to Berlin, and now I'm going to Bournemouth.
Now he's expanded the tour to Australia and New Zeland.
I do hope he'll reconsider the possibility to come to Israel.
It's never too much to see and hear the divine Leonard Cohen.
supermiffy

Post by supermiffy »

Thanks... I had a bit of problem uploading it and then never had time to post the link here.... thanks so much !

xx
tommylen wrote:Supermiffy

You didnt post your best clip.

I think Ive done this for you and hope thats o.k.

Its a very good one too.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=06o2B00cr8U
supermiffy

Post by supermiffy »

I only managed to go to the second night...and i was surprised at that. When I had tried before the tickets were sold out. I had even tried contacting his promoter to try and get VIP tickets as Leonard was very good friend of my godfather Marvin and played music together back in Montreal, Leonard reading his poetry and Marivn either playing athe backing with congas or bongos... but had no response from the promoters much as I really expected.

On Thursday my husband told me were going out and I had no idea we were going to see Leonard Cohen... I was shaking and full of butterflies when I found out. We ended up in row b in centre seats... Turns out that somehow tickets had become available at the last minute and he managed to get them.

It was an amazing experience... what a debonaire man Leonard is and his voice is as strong and true as it ever was. Istill can't believe that I have seen him live.
danny wrote:Well done Supermiffy and thanks for your latest video 'That Don't Make It Junk'
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aONUs19JD ... re=related
as I could only seen him once - your video is part compensation. How would you compare the two nights yourself ?

There were hundreds of cameras and phones, I hope someone does post footage of Democracy on the 5th, or it is included in any DVD just for historical reasons.
danny

Post by danny »

I don't get out to concerts often so all your YouTube clips were enjoyable. Keep going to gigs and posting video for folk like me who can't.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

I enjoyed the concert on 5.11. almost more than on 6.11.

One thing though, why do people need to have conversations during a concert (as the people behind me in the first half) and why do people feel they have to sing along (as the woman next to me).

I might be egoistic, but I paid a lot of money to hear Mr Cohen and not other people's banter and bad singing. I think in another thread someone mentioned a guy answering a call on the mobile - shocking!
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

Excellent post Osmacher

We had this discussion on this forum already.
I think it is the Vienna concert link.
I think part of it is anxiety and a complete lack of an awareness of other peoples rights.
I have encountered very odd behaviour at concerts from a running commentary of a songs history
to sexual petting in time to the music.I think that the piercing voice is the most irritating distraction .
Did you ask these people to be quiet or did you suffer in silence?

You know I might very well have been near to you on the6/11 because someone to my right kept
up a natter natter until the break.Thereafter silence.

The youtube links are great.

The hall is very good .

Im off my cloud now but wow.Great stuff.
commonweal

Post by commonweal »

tommylen wrote:
Im off my cloud now but wow.Great stuff.
You're off your cloud already?!
Demand your money back.
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

Just looked at the youtube links and I see the "Democracy"from the 5/11 is there.
Super pictures from these clips.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

tommylen wrote: .....
I think part of it is anxiety and a complete lack of an awareness of other peoples rights.
I have encountered very odd behaviour at concerts .....
Did you ask these people to be quiet or did you suffer in silence?

You know I might very well have been near to you on the6/11 because someone to my right kept up a natter natter until the break.Thereafter silence.
I don't actually know if people realise that they annoy others. I think people in general are just very selfish and don't care much.

I did shush the ones there various times but with little effect, but they were quiet in the second half.

Where did you sit? I was in Row G (I think) in the front stalls on the left hand side of the stage.
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

Yes i know how you feel.

I was in row X rear stalls to the right of the stage on the 6th and further forward on the 5th.Good seats great company.(I mean we didnt natter away all night)

Im o.k. if people join in a chorous say" So long Marianne" but when somebody decides to give a "Suzanne" solo or "Famous Blue Raincoat" Glasgow style
then no thanks please.The one I had to bite my tongue hardest about was the know all at the Castle show who would tell everyone in earshot that "Ahh Leonard wrote this in his bath on 10th January 1976 after he had witnessed a lovers tiff in such and such a cafe".And so it went on all night.A pain in the backside.People told him to be quiet but he couldnt.
Anxiety problems.

Ill tell you what else is annoying.People who keep moving about in their seats and blocking the stage.They half stand sway from side to side and wave their arms about in the air
having great fun at the expense of the people behind them.Like a comedy sketch.

Still the shows were great and do know what.
Im going to Manchester on the 30th.
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

I got my wish! Democracy from November 5th has been posted on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQI5rFc ... ture=email
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”