CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, October 4

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
crystal

CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, October 4

Post by crystal »

He took Berlin!
I am just back and forgive me that I am not able to post a setlist. I am still too excited.
It was pure magic. I got famous blue raincoat and I got avalanche and hej that's not way to say goodbye.
He had about 17000 people standing. It was just wonderful.
What a night.
tigrib

Re: 4 October - Tonight he take Berlin

Post by tigrib »

Oh yes, he took Berlin! It was absolutely amazing! It was my best concert I can think of in the recent 10, 15 years. Still searching for the right words ... I am deeply impressed by what was performed there
2008 Berlin, Hamburg, Oberhausen, Cologne, Berlin, Colmar, Barcelona, Las Vegas, San Jose, Salzburg, Berlin, Strasbourg, Marseille, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Las Vegas 2010
2012 Ghent (x2), Berlin, Moenchengladbach, Lisbon
2013 Berlin ... Pula ... ?
BerlinBerlin

Post by BerlinBerlin »

Sorry, I can´t write a report, because I´m speechles. I can´t describe it. It was so great, magnificant, but no words can describe it. It was a 3h 15min Show with a 15-20min break after the First set.
Here is only the setlist, maybe I find some words after sleep.

First set
1. Dance me to the end of love
2. The Future
3. Ain't no cure for love
4. Bird on the wire
5. Everybody knows
6. In my secret life
7. Who by fire
8. Heart with no Compainon
9. Hey, that's no way to say good bye
10. Anthem

Second set
11. Tower of song
12. Avalance
13. Suzanne
14. Gypsy wife
15. Hallelujah
16. Democracy
17. I'm your man
18. Take this waltz

Encores
19. So long, Marianne
20. First we take Manhattan (with the Berlin-audience-Choir in the refrain)

21. Famous Blue Raincoat
22. If it be your will
23. Closing time

24. I tried to leave you
25. Whither thou goest

Unforgetable! Thank you Leonard! Thank you very much.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi BerlinBerlin... Hope you were able to sleep tonight! I replied to you on the other thread but everything sounds SO awesome! I am sure it was magical. Thank you so much for the setlist and your comments. We look forward to more tomorrow but I am sure you will still be in the heavens! This is silly (because it isn't me) but I get so emotional over responses from various concerts. I will probably be a basket case in Copenhagen.....accompanied by my sweet, darling partner who still calls us "Cohenheads" instead of "Cohenites". I think 8) he may be transformed :D :D

~Diana
ChristopherRobin

Post by ChristopherRobin »

Boogie Street (sung by Sharon Robinson) is missing from the above set list. Gathering from the set lists of other concerts, I assume it was number 15 after Gypsy Wife.

Other than that: great concert.

ChristopherRobin
BerlinBerlin

Post by BerlinBerlin »

Oh, I forgot Boogie Streets. Here is the complete setlist:
First set
1. Dance me to the end of love
2. The Future
3. Ain't no cure for love
4. Bird on the wire
5. Everybody knows
6. In my secret life
7. Who by fire
8. Heart with no Compainon
9. Hey, that's no way to say good bye
10. Anthem

Second set
11. Tower of song
12. Avalance
13. Suzanne
14. Gypsy wife
15. Boogie Streets
16. Hallelujah
17. Democracy
18. I'm your man
19. Take this waltz

Encores
20. So long, Marianne
21. First we take Manhattan (with the Berlin-audience-Choir in the refrain)

22. Famous Blue Raincoat
23. If it be your will
24. Closing time

25. I tried to leave you
26. Whither thou goest

Here is a Review from a Berlin News-Paper:
http://www.morgenpost.de/kultur/article ... erlin.html
stephencharlton

Post by stephencharlton »

Flew back to UK this morning from Berlin, 3 hours sleep in Schoenfeld hotel due to early easyjet return.
The concert was fantastic, sound quality excellent, highlight for me 'famous blue raincoat' !
The crowd got more responsive as the evening progressed. There were ticketing problems at the O2, but that is down to them, probably for discussion at another time.
All in all an exhausting, yet memorable 24hrs. :D
2008 Manchester
London O2 x3
2009 Berlin
2010 Poland
2012 Belgium
2013 London 02
Etoile

Post by Etoile »

Hello to everyone,

I'm new here and have just logged in to share my joy for the concert in Berlin yesterday. A massive ceremony being held a few meters away from the remains of the Wall, and magic in spite of the very bad location at this new high-tech machine hall (which is so hated in Berlin).

Can anyone (may be a native speaker) remember better than me Cohen's reference to the financial crisis? While introducing "Anthem" he spoke -if I remember well- of the privilege which means being gathered together like yesterday while there's so much suffering in the world, and "the magic realism of the market place has vanished"; he mentioned the words "moral" and "ethics" and said that's why now, more than ever, we should "ring the bells, that still can ring". Would be nice if someone got the exact words.

Pity, as some of us were caught in trance by the concert most of the german audience still sit so straight as if they were at the opera (ok, I'm southamerican :D ) Anyway, the audience was mixed, could hear some english and some hebrew spoken, and filmmaker Wim Wenders was sitting not far from us (we saw him at Lou Reeds concert too, he already showed good musical taste in his films).

About LC himself:
It was great to see him in such a good mood, jumping his way in or out of stage and smiling so much. Was he also like that on stage when he was younger?

And for the whole 3 hours you could feel the same as when you hear poets reciting their work: not just pronouncing the words but meaning them, creating them anew, every time.

Gracias Maestro.

Etoile
tigrib

Post by tigrib »

Thats, what the newspaper Berliner Morgenpost says, unfortunately only in German
http://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/article ... erlin.html
2008 Berlin, Hamburg, Oberhausen, Cologne, Berlin, Colmar, Barcelona, Las Vegas, San Jose, Salzburg, Berlin, Strasbourg, Marseille, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Las Vegas 2010
2012 Ghent (x2), Berlin, Moenchengladbach, Lisbon
2013 Berlin ... Pula ... ?
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Berlin October 4 - Leonard took Berlin

Post by jarkko »

Amazing concert - Leonard really took Berlin!
Eija and I were sitting a bit aside, so I got only some good pix. This one of Charley and Hattie is my favorite.
They're doing "If it be your will".

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/musik ... 71,2629468

"The Man who knows each of us. Voice of the latter days, voice of the love:
Leonard Cohen' gives a concert that makes you blessed"
--or something like that (my very free translation!)
Thanks to Andrea for the link

Der Mann, der uns alle kennt
Stimme der Endzeit, Stimme der Liebe: Leonard Cohen gibt ein seligmachendes Konzert in der Berliner O2-Arena.

Der Mann geht nicht. Er versucht es mit „So long“, und die unten im Saal und oben auf den Tribünen, sie sind alle die auf diese Art verabschiedete „Marianne“. Der Mann in seinem grauen Anzug tänzelt von der Bühne, den Fedorahut in der Hand. Er kommt wieder, versucht es mit „First we take Manhattan“, und für einen kurzen Moment wird aus einem Abend der Ballade, diesem wärmenden Feuer in der Kälte, dem Licht im Dunkeln, eine fröhliche Rocknacht, in der die Menge in der Halle, nein, nicht grölt, sondern mitsingt, „then we take Berlin“. Und rundum sind die Gesichter selig.

Er versucht es mit „Closing time“, er betet „If it be your will, that I speak no more“ und lässt dann (mit einem Anflug von Kitsch) von Harfe und Gitarre begleitet seine Background-Sängerin das Gebet vertonen. Stumm steht Leonard Cohen daneben, den Hut in der Hand, das graue Haupt in Demut gesenkt, „if it be your will ... I will sing to you“. Und er singt weiter, immer weiter, weil das Leben ja auch immer weitergeht, mag die Welt auch schmerzen und die Seele weinen, „I’m your man“.

Leonard Cohen war in Berlin. Gott, der Mann ist 74 Jahre alt, in dem Alter traut sich manch einer nicht mehr aus dem Haus. Cohen aber tourt durch die Welt, die Stimme der Endzeit und der Liebe, vor allen Dingen der gescheiterten Lieben, die Stimme vom dunklen Rand des Lebens, sie ertönte auch am Samstag in der O2-Arena über drei volle Stunden lang. Sie ist tiefer geworden in all den Jahren, viel tiefer und dabei voller und voller Wärme. Nur vier Menschen hatten nichts verstanden in der restlos ausverkauften Halle, machten, was man so macht als Gefühlsausdruck in so einer grausam nüchternen Funktionsarena und ließen zum „Hallelujah“ ihre Feuerzeuge anspringen, gerade so, als säßen sie bei André Rieu.

Cohen aber ist keine Schmalzlocke, war es nie. Mag sein, dass der ein oder andere ältere Mensch im absolut durchmischten Auditorium bei „Suzanne“ an eine seiner Susannen der Jugend dachte, deren „perfect body“ er leider auch nur „with his mind“ hat berühren dürfen. Es sang aber, mit der eingangs erwähnten Ausnahme, niemand laut mit, weil die Andacht dem weisen Herrn auf der Bühne gebührt und nicht einer verklärten Erinnerung. Allenfalls ist noch Cohens exzellenten Musikern Tribut zu zollen, nicht der eigenen Lagerfeuerromantik, dem Schlagzeuger Rafael Gayol, am Bass Roscoe Beck, dem Keyboarder Neil Larsen, dem man ebenso wie Cohen das Leben glaubt, Javier Mas, dem Spanier an den akustischen Gitarren, Bob Metzger, auch der ein Lakoniker an der E-Gitarre, Dino Sildo, dem „master of breath“, der das Saxophon spielt und die Mundharmonika, zum Weinen schön. Die Webb Sisters, die mehr sind als nur die „Doo dam dam dee doo dam dam“-Untermalung, was auch Cohen hervorhebt, wenn er zu dieser Endlosschleife von „Tower of songs“ wieder, wie schon in allen Konzerten der Tournee, seinen pseudo-philosophischen Witz vorträgt, nach allen Studien der Welt und all dem Suchen nach dem Schlüssel des Daseins, endlich die Antwort gefunden zu haben: „Sie lautet: Doo dam dam dam dee doo dam dam.“ Mit Hattie Webb singt er noch „Take this waltz“, und wer dabei keine Gänsehaut bekam, der bekommt keine mehr.

Und dann ist da natürlich Sharon Robinson, die seit Jahrzehnten mit Cohen arbeitet, mit ihm zum Beispiel „Everybody knows“ geschrieben hat und vorträgt und aus dem Hintergrund auf den alten Mann schaut mit einem Blick, also, wenn das keine Liebe ist.

Leonard Cohen erzählt nichts Neues, warum auch, was soll er Neues erzählen? Die Welt war immer auch finster, und auch wenn die Verdunklungsmechanismen heute Nine eleven heißen, Finanzkrise, Klimakatastrophe, „hey, that’s no way to say goodbye“. Man kann gegen die Tristesse anbellen, wie es zum Beispiel der verehrungswürdige Tom Waits krächzt, man kann sie anrotzen, wie es die verehrungswürdigen Sex Pistols einst taten, man kann seinen Protest kundtun nach Art von Gottvater Bob Dylan, man kann eine Menge machen gegen Kälte und Liebesentzug – „we are not convinced there has been any improvement“, wir sind nicht überzeugt, dass sich irgendetwas verbessert hat, schreibt Cohen in seinem heute erscheinenden Buch „Buch der Sehnsüchte“. Auch er kann es nicht ändern, also versucht er es erst gar nicht. „Everybody knows that the boat is leaking, everybody knows that the captain lied“, jedermann weiß, dass das Boot ein Leck hat, und jedermann weiß, dass der Kapitän log, ja wir wissen es, „if you want a partner, take my hand“, singt Cohen, bevor er sich in „I’m your man“ als Schutz anbietet, und eine Frau im Publikum antwortet: „Ja, das will ich!“

Und das ist es, was Leonard Cohen auch an diesem nasskalten Herbsttag in Berlin schafft: Er singt von den Depressionen der Menschheit, aber er singt nicht dagegen an, er nimmt sie auf, er kennt sie alle, er kennt uns alle, und er geht mit uns. Cohen bietet Trost, bietet Begleitung in der Einsamkeit, und es macht ihm sichtbar Spaß, er tanzt, er lacht, und die Arrangements seiner Songs erreichen die höchste Stufe des Selbstbewusstseins: die Selbstironie. Leonard Cohen nimmt sich nicht wichtig, er ist es nur einfach. „I’m still the man, who works for your smile“, sagt er am Ende, als er nach all seinen Zugaben und Verabschiedungen ein letztes Mal vor eine glückliche Menge tritt. Er sagt es wieder mit dieser Geste der Demut und des Respekts, mit dem Hut in der Hand und einer tiefen Verbeugung.

Dann geht der Mann in seinem grauen Anzug, er tänzelt, er lacht. Die Menschen gehen auch, gehen heim mit der Liebe, hocken in Bars mit der Vertrauten, reden, die Augen leuchten, wäre der alte Barde Kris Kristofferson da, er würde jetzt singen „help me make it through the night“. Aber das hat Leonard Cohen schon gemacht: „But I swear by this song, and by all that I have done wrong, I have tried in my way to be free.”
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Paula

Post by Paula »

I think a few of us are well gutted we could not attend Berlin. Amazing night by the sound of it.

Jarkko if you had been sitting any closer to the stage you would have had to have a tamborine in your hand.

I hope the RAH is as good (I know it will be the RAH is Leonard's ancestral home in London).

I hope he does Avalanche and FBR at the RAH.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

jarkko wrote:Amazing concert - Leonard really took Berlin!
Eija and I were sitting a bit aside, so I got only some good pix. This one of Charley and Hattie is my favorite.
They're doing "If it be your will".
and don't they sing like angels when they do sing it, just beautiful!
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

Paula wrote:I think a few of us are well gutted we could not attend Berlin. Amazing night by the sound of it.

Jarkko if you had been sitting any closer to the stage you would have had to have a tamborine in your hand.

I hope the RAH is as good (I know it will be the RAH is Leonard's ancestral home in London).

I hope he does Avalanche and FBR at the RAH.
Yes it would be great to get Avalanche or FBR at the Royal Albert Hall as probably the last one I can afford to go to! I'm going to the Monday night :)
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
Habie

Post by Habie »

Beautiful photo, Jarkko. Light you can touch.
I hope we hear more of the Webb Sisters in the future...
Sleep tight, travellers. xx

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”