CONCERT REPORT: Bucharest, September 21

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
KerstinP

Re: Bucharest, September 21

Post by KerstinP »

So what now? komboloi or kompoloi? b or p?

It seems Greek is more difficult than English :-)

BTW We also could see Leonard's komb(p)oloi for a few minutes at the Berlin concert.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Kerstin-ANYTHING is more difficult than english! (I'm not sure what is worse, though-greek or german?!)
Laura
Dem

Post by Dem »

Italian are easier than Engish. :-)

As about the transliteration of Greek
into English I prefer the "mp" instead
of "b" for the Greek letters "μπ" as
in "compoloi" or "Tsimperis" although
the sound is the same as in "coboloi" or "Tsiberis".

It's just that "mp" is more elegant.

Dem
KerstinP

Post by KerstinP »

Mille grazie, Demetris, for clearing up :)

BTW As about clearing up: "Italien IS easier than English" because it is neuter and because of that singular 8)

Laura, can't really answer your question ;-)
Laura

Post by Laura »

Maybe that was supposed to be "the Italian are easier than the English"?!! :twisted: Ok, maybe just a little freudian slip of the tongue there!

I must say I'm not totally clarified about how an "mp" can sound like a "b"... but I was never any good with languages.

Laura
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Laura wrote:I must say I'm not totally clarified about how an "mp" can sound like a "b"...
The Greek letter 'beta' used to sound as written ... a hard 'b', as in 'alphabet'. Over the centuries it became softened until it became a v sound (and likewise 'delta' became softened to 'thelta'). So nowadays, when the Greeks want to make a hard 'b' sound, they have to construct it by combining mu and pi. This is why a Greek bar has the equivalent of the letters 'MPAR' above its door, instead of just 'BAR'.

The strangest example of this softening is the very popular boy's name Byron, which you will hear shouted across the street as 'Vyron'.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

Bogdan, such a letter is the pay back for a lot of work at Cramele Rotenberg or Rotenberg Winery if you want so. I hope my site http://www.rotenberg.ro reflects the passion for wine equal to my old passion (this year, 40 year long) for Cohen's music. I would like to invite you and Laura to the Cramele Rotenberg Winery which is in Ceptura, Dealu Ma,re some 90 Km from Bucharest. You will find in the site an email address and phone numbers to call and coordinate visit. I would like to quote your story in my web site. May I?
Mihail Rotenberg
bogdanganea wrote:"Ah we're drinking and we're dancing
and the band is really happening
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high..." well, this time it was not whisky, but wine. Merlot to be more specific.

Ah, yes. Laura mentioned about me and the famous and mysterious wine bottle.
Well, the story is not that long, really.
We were in the pause at the VIP area, where they served...drinks and snacks. A lot of people there, should I say, and very warm, due to the terrace heaters. So...we're going for our drinks. I saw people with glasses of wine, but didn't pay any attention at the source. Finally, it was my turn, and before asking for something...there it was. The bottle...my precious :) he he. So, to be brief...this was almost the exact conversation:
"Wow. Amazing. Can I take this bottle?"
"I don't know. It is not to be taken" (that was their source for the glasses)
"But...is here...unopened. And I want to take it. Can I?"
"I don't know if you can, but you can try"
"Well, certainly I will try. (And I took it). Look! I took it. Is it OK?"
"Fine by me!"
And so, I placed it in my coat's pocket, I covered it with my jacket and... gone it was. Of course...i took a glass of wine too :D
The bad part was that I had to stay with it all the concert, and at final, when everybody stood up, I was forced to do the same...and then I felt the heaviness. But it was all worth it.
I share with you the bottle 124 of a limited edition of 500.

Bogdan.

ruven_yaniv

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Bucharest, September 21

Post by ruven_yaniv »

Michael, it is great that you have these two sublime passions. I must confess that I met only recently the marvelous art of Leonard Cohen, and was deeply moved. During the last 13 years or so, I am more and more involved in the argentinean tango (dance, music and liryc), and I'm believing that this prepared my sensibility for the encounter with Leonard Cohen.
Yesterday I took part to a jubiliary reunion of my high school absolvents. We drunk a Ceptura wine, but regretfully - not your Merlot.
I'm remaining a week in Bucharest, and if you are here too and have some time, It'll be nice to drink and to hear together "The teacher and the master". Kind regards,
Ruven (from Tadiran)

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”