Oberhausen Meetup (2/11/2008)?

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Womanfromaroom

Oberhausen Meetup (2/11/2008)?

Post by Womanfromaroom »

My dear Fellow-Cohenites,

although it might still be a bit early (with more than two months to go), I still thought it might be time to start wondering where we might go for a meet-up before or / and after the concert!
Are there any of you who know the city, so that you might have any useful suggestions? "Mister Y", for example, already wrote: "The "Köpi"-Arena in Oberhausen is next to the "Centro", one of the biggest shopping malls of Germany ... There are a lot of pubs, restaurants and cafés for a meetup before an after the concert. And in Oberhausen, parking is for free at the arena ..."
So anyone out there who feels in a position to elaboreate on this? And: Who would be interested in a nice get-together anyway?
Looking forward to meeting some of you soon!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
maurice

Re: Oberhausen Meetup (2/11/2008)?

Post by maurice »

I will be there but haven't been there before. I will arrive at friday morning, which is a bit early. :D There some kind of death metal festival on saturday or I can spend two days at Sea Life. Hopefully there is something more to do.
You know who I am...
Mister Y

Post by Mister Y »

At the "Centro" (next to the Arena), there are a lot of different pubs and restaurants. There are good restaurants (Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Steakhouses, the Brauhaus (with brewery) etc.) - also McDonalds, all kinds of fast food ... some cafés. For a meetup before the concert, the "Louisiana" - an "American restaurant" (!?!) might be a good choice:

http://www.louisiana.de/de/outlets/ober ... rief.shtml

An alternative could be the Brauhaus at the canal (500 seats).

http://www.brauhaus-zeche-jacobi.de/

For the after-show-party the "Irish Pub" (with live music!) might be ok.

http://www.irishpubcentro.com/ob/oberhausen.html

All these pubs are quite big, so a reservation should not be necessary.

I'm not from Oberhausen but I live in the "Ruhrgebiet", the biggest village of Germany ... ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhr_Area

I've seen many concerts in Oberhausen (3x Bob Dylan, 2x Mark Knopfler), the Köpi-Arena is a good venue.

It's an old industrial area (now called "Oberhausen Neue Mitte"), and now there is one of the biggest shopping malls and one of the pub quarters of the Ruhrgebiet + the Köpi-Arena, the Gasometer (an industrial monument with viewpoint), Sea-Life, the Metronum Theater (Musicals) ...
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

So Maurice is hoping for a meetup, too... How about chosing that Irish pub for some pre-concert drink, then?
maurice

Post by maurice »

Irish Pub is fine with me!
You know who I am...
Kiwi56

Post by Kiwi56 »

WoooooHoooo!!
I could convince my husband to go with me on a second LC concert :D and I still got some tickets for Oberhausen :D !Unfortunately I can`t get him to come to the meetup :cry:
So what, I look forward to the great event !
Hope you will have a nice meeting !
See you at the concert ;-)
2008 Lörrach,Oberhausen,2009 Dublin, 2010 Stuttgart, 2012Verona
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

@ kiwi:

Tell your husband that he will be welcomed as our special guest, and even though I am a student with no money to speak of, I will happily treat him to a drink or two if he lets you come along! I hope he knows that Cohen fans tend to be very nice peole indeed worth meeting (after all, he is married to you!)... :D
Hope to see the two of you soon!!
Kiwi56

Post by Kiwi56 »

Thank you, womanfromaroom :D , you`re sooo kind :D , but there is another problem.
My husband will go with me to the concert because I´ve promised to visit with him an old friend , who lives in Bonn, before. So I think we don`t have enough time :( .
I really would like to come, so let me see, what I can do :)
You will go to the Irish Pub, right ?
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

I suppose we are, yes, as nobody has made any specific alternative suggestions so far! :)
justean

Post by justean »

Hi everyone,
It's slightly off the topic, but well.. maybe someone could help me a bit.
Me and my friend, we're coming to the Sunday's concert in Oberhausen and we're looking for a place to stay over the night. We're not looking for anything fancy, some space on the floor is perfectly fine as well. So, if someone of you live in Oberhausen or close to there and have some space for two Leonard's fans, it would be much appreciated. You could pm me. ;)
Well, and if that wouldn't work, maybe someone could recommend a nice youth hostel? any information would be useful. :)
Thanks!!!!
See you on Sunday anyway,
Juste
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Hi Juste,

does "see you on Sunday anyway" mean that you are coming to the intended meeting as well? And who is going to be there anyway, apart from Maurice?
Kiwi56

Post by Kiwi56 »

I still don`t know, woman from a room :?
Florian

Post by Florian »

Hi Friends,
the Meetup will be before the Concert, right ?
I would like to join, but probably i can't come to Oberhausen much before the Concert :(
Is there anything planed after the Show ?
Henning

Post by Henning »

I would like to meet with you after the show. But I will be late before the show since I have a double feature with first seeing my BVB live with a win hopefully and then I will hurry to Oberhausen for Lenny's show. It would be great if someone could name a location for a small after show party.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
maurice

Post by maurice »

Hotel im Europahaus is a very good low budget hotel. It's very clean and the people are friendly.
It's a 20 minute walk from the Arena. The town is nothing is special, so concert will definitely be the highlight of three days in Oberhausen.
You know who I am...

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”