Dublin tribute reviews & photos

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Hi Diane,
I avoid Dublin pubs like te plague -in fact I avoid pubs like the plague. Just me.
"Contrary Irish self" - Ilike that - best compliment I've had in years. Thank you, Myfanwy, thankyou.....................
Red Poppy!!!
Diane

Post by Diane »

Red Poppy, you are most welcome! Where do you drink all your Guiness then :shock: ? Myfanwy? I live in Wales but I am English, stranger in a strange land. My mother is Irish, but even so I'm afraid I couldn't finish my guiness, prefer Irish whisky.

OK Tom, I had not read your post before. Pull the devil's tongue? Well, the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape. I did not like Ann's Berlin performance, too much improvisation for me, but with the exception of BotW, which she kept simple, and I thought it sublime as she has a special voice.

From the devil's dictionary:

Absurdity, n, a statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Diane
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

My mistake: she shocked me with Coming Back To You, but BotW (was it next day on open mic session?) was nice, because she was more humble and closer to intention of the song. So we agree about that:-)
dick

Post by dick »

Diane.... you said.. "Thanks for all these write-ups and pics including Dick's write-up on the front page! How do you guys recall things in so much detail?!"

Thanks for the thanks... Had the benefit of the setlist before Jarkko posted the page and that was an absolute necessity. In terms of memory though, when providing the blow by blow report to Esther about the concert, she kept asking.. "what was he/she wearing?" (Antony, Perla/Julie, Teddy, Anjani) -- thankfully Linda had that recall while I was totally blank with exception of the hearts on Antony's shirt!

Poppy -- respect everyone calling it as they see it, but I think Perla does a superlative BOTW. It was not a song I particularly liked until I hooked on to her version in several live performances and on her cd. I now like Leonard's original and other covers better than before hearing her. I think the emotions are genuine. She said she really blew it Wednesday, but thought Thursday better. I was ok with both.

How about more visual descriptions of the shows, anyone?
Diane

Post by Diane »

Tom, how nice to agree after all :) . Ann Vriend did BotW on the first night and again at the open mic. Beautiful.

Dick, well I'm glad you 'cheated' in your write-up; makes me feel like my memory is not quite so inadequate :wink: . I'm afraid that even though I was stting in block A both nights I could not really discern the clothing of the performers as I was still some distance from the stage. I loved Antony's little gesticulations, and I liked the way Nick Cave strode across the stage like he owned it. I noticed Lou Reed looking seductively at Anjani. I also noticed how on the Thursday Anjani seemed to be much more 'in with the crowd', which was good to see because on the first night she seemed to be out on her own a bit more on-stage, at least that's the impression I had. I don't recall much else about the visuals (although I could describe the shape of the sillouette of the heads of the persons sitting in front of me...oh to be tall).

See you later,

Diane
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I also noticed how on the Thursday Anjani seemed to be much more 'in with the crowd', which was good to see because on the first night she seemed to be out on her own a bit more on-stage . . .
Maybe, by then, she'd made peace with Leonard's girlfriend, Julie :wink: .

[What time zone was that reporter in :shock: ? GMT ~ Gimme My Tabla and another toke, maybe... :roll: ... Back-up ~ Julie was back-up. Girlfriend ~ Anjani is girlfriend. Inverted the women and the tenses. Wonder if that newspaper does Corrections. Red Poppy?]

~ Lizzy
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Diane - I don't - it's the plague of this country.
Lizzy that paper only does corrections when it's dragged into court - frequently!
Diane

Post by Diane »

OK Red Poppy, clearly it is no joking matter to you. One thinks of the pub as being the centre of social life, especially in Ireland. But I know overindulgence is sadly a huge problem.

Good wishes,

Diane
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

"Contrary Irish self" - I like that - best compliment I've had in years.
I bet it is.

Ta Ken
Henning

Post by Henning »

On our way back home on Saturday night, Elke and I passed by a club where we heard live music, two guys were playing the Smokie hit "Oh Carol" and we saw people dancing and it really sounded like good fun so we went in for another Guiness. Around 1 a.m. the band stopped playing and a few minutes later all people stood up and the national anthem was played. That was a very unique experience and I felt like being a part of the Irish folk.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

I'll take that as back handed compliment Ken -Liverpool Ken must be related to Red Ken and that's ok?!!!
Sorry for ranting there Diane - we do have a serious problem in Ireland with alcohol - one we're slow to face.
That's a long standing and still active tradition Henning - virtually any band, and disco (apart from the "sophisticated" clubs in our cities); any concert - almost anything of an entertainment nature will end with the National Anthem which, perhaps fortunately, few realise is quite a blood thirsty song when translated. But then a lot of anthems are.
Glad all and sundry enjoyed Dublin and do come back and see the rest of the country - especially the West coat and Connemara - stunningly beautiful.
What's happening the (other) Reds Ken -or are you a Toffee supporter?
Diane

Post by Diane »

I have such fond memories of visiting pubs around Ireland, when folk music is played spontaneously, and the craic is mighty.

Red Poppy you said:
do come back and see the rest of the country - especially the West coat and Connemara - stunningly beautiful
Oh yes! There are crosses erected from two metal pipes on the top of many Irish mountains. I can still clearly remember standing on the top of Brandon mountain (about 15 years ago now), from where you can see most of the beautiful coastline of the Dingle Penninsula, with nothing but the sound of the wind whistling through the cross. Amazing. Don't miss the Arran Islands and Skellig Michael, and the Cliffs of Moher whilst you're at it. Connemara is the place of my dreams, remote, rugged, beautiful, 'lost in time'. Cottages along the coast there have massive ropes over their rooves, tethered with rocks, to stop them blowing away in the mighty storms that sometimes hit! I'd love to be in Connemara for a storm. I am definitely visiting again next year, can't wait :) .

Diane
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Stunning description, Diane 8) .

Connemara, Connemara... no wonder you chose that as your runaway spot with an Irish lad.

~ Lizzy
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Diane wrote: ...Connemara is the place of my dreams, remote, rugged, beautiful, 'lost in time'. Cottages along the coast there have massive ropes over their rooves, tethered with rocks, to stop them blowing away in the mighty storms that sometimes hit! I'd love to be in Connemara for a storm. I am definitely visiting again next year, can't wait :) .
If I'd only known Diane, you could have accompanied me through Connemara in early September (and done a stint of the driving, to boot)! :wink:

Actually, I'm sorry I had so little time there, as I could have dilly-dallied around there (and just about anywhere along the west coast) for weeks - I really need to learn to "stop and smell the flowers" more often! Ain't tight schedules a bummer! :(

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
kieron

Post by kieron »

Red Poppy is right, alcohol abuse in this country is rife and nobody is doing anything about it.
The national anthem played at the end of the night is quaintly remeniscent of times past and no harm in a country where our past is being buried as fast as each generation can bury it.
The western seaboard from Dingle to Donegal is stunning. My favourite is North Clare from Ballyvaughan to Doolin along the Burren and on to Lahinch and Kilkee via the cliffs.
We have a wonderful country, even if it does rain alot.
We have some wonderful music and musicians.

While I think of it Does anyone know why Leonard chose to sign Kevin Barry all those years ago?
"A terrible beauty is born" WB Yeats.

Return to “News”