Between Your Love and Mine - Requiem in Ireland

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Between Your Love and Mine - Requiem in Ireland

Postby jarkko » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:30 am

Between Your Love and Mine

Photo Geert van der Wijk

Last summer, using only Leonard Cohen's songs, words and poems, writer John MacKenna began work on a requiem for theatre, in memory of young friends and in honour of those who mourn them. The requiem was inspired, in particular, by Leonard's hope-filled lines:

"Behold the gates of mercy, in arbitrary space, and none of us deserving the cruelty or the grace, o solitude of longing where love has been confined, come healing of the body, come healing of the mind."

In late October 2016, just two weeks before his death, the singer approved the final draft of Between Your Love and Mine which will be premiered at VISUAL Carlow, Ireland.

Musical director for the requiem is Aisling Carter and it features the voices of Eric Butler, Katie Jacques and Shane Sullivan. The band features Aisling Carter on keyboard, Lucy Deegan on cello; Annie-Rose Deegan on violin; David Day on percussion. Lighting: Tom Kennedy.
Images: Geert van der Wijk. Spoken word is by Angela Keogh and John MacKenna, who also directs the requiem.

June 15th - VISUAL Carlow
June 17th - Theatre Royal Waterford
June 18th - Civic Theatre Tallaght
June 20th - Dunamaise Arts Centre Portlaoise
June 21st - Draoicht Blanchardstown
June 22nd - Birr Arts Centre
June 23rd - Watergate Theatre Kilkenny
June 24th - Mermaid Theatre Bray.
June 26th - Town Hall Theatre Galway
June 28th - Solstice Arts Centre Navan
June 30th - Moat Theatre Naas
July 1st - Presentation Centre Enniscorthy
Thanks to John McKenna for the information!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
victory_eve

Re: Between Your Love and Mine - Requiem in Ireland

Postby victory_eve » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:34 am

Skickat från min E6653 via Tapatalk

jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:43 am

Poster sent by Beata/Jeremek!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
merton

Postby merton » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi,
Congratulations to John and crew. Great interweaving of Leonard's music and words, primarily from Book of Mercy. It led to an intense and paced evening, where attention to to musical interpretation and the spoken word heightened the beauty of Leonard's work. Hope to go again on Friday.
All the best,
merton

Return to “News”