Between Your Love and Mine - Requiem in Ireland

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Between Your Love and Mine - Requiem in Ireland

Post by jarkko »

Between Your Love and Mine

Photo Geert van der Wijk

Last summer, using only Leonard Cohen's songs, words and poems, writer John MacKenna began work on a requiem for theatre, in memory of young friends and in honour of those who mourn them. The requiem was inspired, in particular, by Leonard's hope-filled lines:

"Behold the gates of mercy, in arbitrary space, and none of us deserving the cruelty or the grace, o solitude of longing where love has been confined, come healing of the body, come healing of the mind."

In late October 2016, just two weeks before his death, the singer approved the final draft of Between Your Love and Mine which will be premiered at VISUAL Carlow, Ireland.

Musical director for the requiem is Aisling Carter and it features the voices of Eric Butler, Katie Jacques and Shane Sullivan. The band features Aisling Carter on keyboard, Lucy Deegan on cello; Annie-Rose Deegan on violin; David Day on percussion. Lighting: Tom Kennedy.
Images: Geert van der Wijk. Spoken word is by Angela Keogh and John MacKenna, who also directs the requiem.

June 15th - VISUAL Carlow
June 17th - Theatre Royal Waterford
June 18th - Civic Theatre Tallaght
June 20th - Dunamaise Arts Centre Portlaoise
June 21st - Draoicht Blanchardstown
June 22nd - Birr Arts Centre
June 23rd - Watergate Theatre Kilkenny
June 24th - Mermaid Theatre Bray.
June 26th - Town Hall Theatre Galway
June 28th - Solstice Arts Centre Navan
June 30th - Moat Theatre Naas
July 1st - Presentation Centre Enniscorthy
Thanks to John McKenna for the information!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
victory_eve

Re: Between Your Love and Mine - Requiem in Ireland

Post by victory_eve »

[emoji178][emoji178][emoji178]

Skickat från min E6653 via Tapatalk

jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Poster sent by Beata/Jeremek!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
merton

Post by merton »

Hi,
Congratulations to John and crew. Great interweaving of Leonard's music and words, primarily from Book of Mercy. It led to an intense and paced evening, where attention to to musical interpretation and the spoken word heightened the beauty of Leonard's work. Hope to go again on Friday.
All the best,
merton
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

I was so lucky to be able to attend this last Saturday. It's wonderful and if you get the chance, please go and see it. Thanks to John McKenna and all those involved-and most of all to Leonard.
Olwen X
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I hope that they can make a recording of this-for those who didn't have the pleasure of seeing it. Perhaps, it will be performed where those of us who admire John and love Leonard can see it.

Here is a great interview with John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZVmyB21b0

Included is this new LC poem written shortly before he died. Since I heard it and did not see it written, I don't know about the breaks in the lines. Pardon me for my poor poetry sense!

My time is running out
And still I have not sung the true song.
The great song I had missed that I seemed to have lost my courage.
A glance in the mirror and glimpse into my heart makes me want to shut up forever.
Why do you lean me here, lord of my life?
Lean me at this table
In the middle of the night,
Wondering how to be beautiful.
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
B4real

Post by B4real »

Joe,
I don't think John MacKenna was aware or maybe he forgot that poem has already been published in Book of Longing 2006 page 178.
There’s a self-portrait line sketch entitled Room 215, Kemps Corner Hotel to the right of the poem.
The audio has two prepositions different - "in" for "at" and "so" is left out but it's the same as the BOL poem below.

MY TIME
My time is running out
and still
I have not sung
the true song
the great song

I admit
that I seem
to have lost my courage

A glance at the mirror
a glimpse into my heart
makes me want
to shut up forever

so why do you lean me here
Lord of my life
lean me at this table
in the middle of the night
wondering
how to be beautiful
---

Even so, it surely is fitting for this occasion.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Thank you for clarifying that. It seemed familiar but I thought it was the reference about "leaning across the old table" in his song. Still a very worthwhile interview and I would love to see the production.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have posted the whole Requiem booklet here:
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/requiem2017.pdf

Thanks to John MacKenna for the material
and to Marie Nolan and Albert Noonan for their help
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

With kind permission of John MacKenna I have now posted the complete script of the performance. Read it here: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/requiemtexts.pdf

John also told us that there will be one further performance, by request of the Irish President, at his home on September 22nd for an audience of 150 people, chosen by lottery from applications submitted to his office. That will conclude the performances.
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Thanks so much for this wonderfull piece. Wish I would have been able to attend this must have been so beautiful.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Just reading the choices that John made touched my heart. I can't imagine the feelings that would have evoked upon attending this Requiem.

Thank you Jarkko for posting this.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

The cast and crew of Between Your Love and Mine with Irish President Michael D Higgins at Áras an Uachtaráin (the President's home) on Fri Sept 22nd, prior to our performance for Culture Night.
Attachments
Aras 2.jpg
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Thanks for this cheerful photo Red Poppy :D
I'm sure Michael D, Sabina and all present appreciated your performance.

Any chance Requiem will tour again?
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Hi, there are no current plans for another run of the requiem but if that changes I will, of course, let you know. John

Return to “News”