Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
RobertThomas

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by RobertThomas »

Good night, dear Leonard. You are deeply missed. You never knew but you - and your Famous Blue Raincoat - stopped my sad, hollow hand and mind back in a time when they worked so well against me. Thank you from my heart - and fare you well, my long and distant friend.

Bob
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Posted on Twitter by @AlisonNorthcott

People singing #LeonardCohen songs by streetlight and candlelight outside his Montreal home

Sasha K

Post by Sasha K »

Love has called him by his name.

Heartfelt thanks, dearest Leonard, for all you have meant to me for so many years. For the courage to go on.
I know you're in a better place; I'm sure you are still writing, still creating, still healing and teaching...and one day I will see you face to face. My love and condolences to his family, to all members of the Forum, and to those who love his work.

For now we see through a glass darkly
but then face to face
Now I know only in part
but then shall I know
even as I now also am known.

Say hi to Serge Gainsbourg, William Blake, Sam Beckett, Ray Charles, Joyce Cary, Vivaldi, Satie and all the rest.

What a wonderful party you must be having...

Hugs, forever and beyond.

Sasha K.
rmorgan

Sadness beyond all Measure.

Post by rmorgan »

Thank you, Leonard, for every word, every song, for all you worked to create. For all you shared.

Thank you, Leonard, with the deepest thanks.

Yit'gadal v'yit'kadash sh'mei raba.
Judy

Post by Judy »

Thank you Mr Cohen. Your songs will live for ever and ever .. so much love and sadness.
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

Forever came far too soon, Leonard; it's so hard to accept that this was now your time.

This is just one of the most difficult heartrending posts... I don't have the words for how sad I feel...

I waited to express perfectly, find just the most fitting ways to say how much I love your last album, but now it's too late. Every word and every note, just so. If heaven can hear my deep gratitude for it and for how much your work means to me, to all of us, I hope somewhere up there it makes you smile, fedora in hand over heart, bowing with that humble appreciation that has graced and elevated us so many times. You're a part of us now going forward, and we smile, too, '... and laugh and cry about it all again...'

You have loved enough, dear Leonard. Rest in peace, and may your memory be a blessing.

My heartfelt condolences to Leonard's children, Adam and Lorca, and grandchildren, his friends, and loved ones. Thank you for sharing Leonard with us. We are all the better for it.

All my love,
Patrycja
Will... If It Be Your Will
B4real

Post by B4real »

In my initial post I was in total shock and disarray to this terrible news and still am!!!
I made a mistake, my mother passed away exactly a week before Leonard.

I want to say to all of Leonard’s family and friends that my deepest condolences go to you.
Please take comfort in knowing how much he will forever mean to so many people.

I still can't find the right words to say but I do know that Leonard's words have been silently woven as thousands of threads winding their way through the tapestry of our lives and we are all the richer for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwkX3y8IFpQ

“I hear their voices in the wind
that sometimes did we seek
The band is playing auld lang syne
But the heart will not retreat
There’s no forsaking what you love
No existential leap
As witnessed here in time and blood
A thousand kisses deep”

Dear Leonard, my heart is with you always – safe journey .....

Love,
Bev
Last edited by B4real on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
tularosa

Post by tularosa »

Merci du fond du coeur Adam d'avoir aidé votre père à nous donner ce chef d'oeuvre qu'est "You want it darker". Merci Jarkko de nous avoir donné ce forum. Excusez moi d'écrire dans ma langue maternelle mais l'émotion est trop forte. Toutes mes condoléances à la famille et aux amis de Leonard. Nous survivrons.
otavio1996

Post by otavio1996 »

It is very hard for me to describe what I felt - and still am feeling - at hearing these news. There was no scream, no shock, no desperation, and the tears were very few and dried very fast.

It is a sense of...

You know when you see a beautiful bird in a rose garden and you try to approach it, but then it just flies away? Not out of fear, not out of necessity, but simply for the fact that it can and desires to fly... You will never see it again, but what matters in the end is that you heard it sing, and you saw its colors were bright, and you took pleasure in them, and maybe it even taught you one or two things that you cannot quite express.

I do not know what the conditions of Mr. Cohen's departure were, but I am somehow sure they must have been gentle, very gentle. Death would never be so unkind as to not show good manners when dealing with someone like Leonard. It do not believe it could, I think it would be ashamed.

His songs are echoing on my mind. Tunes, bits of verses... Bits of murmurs... 'No, no, no'...

Oh, my God.

I wish his family as much calm and tranquility as they can find.

Rest in peace, dear Leonard, you were a teacher of the heart for millions and millions of people.
And she comes to his hand / but she's not really tame / she longs to be lost / he longs for the same / and she'll bolt and she'll plunge / through the first open pass / to roll and to feed / in the sweet mountain grass.
mckennyg

Post by mckennyg »

So sad. We had the great honour of meeting Leonard a few times along the road and he was always so kind to us.

Thank you for all the wonderful memories.

Gerry, Mary and Aoibhin
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I'm not looking for another as I wander in my time,
walk me to the corner, our steps will always rhyme
you know my love goes with you as your love stays with me,
it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,
but let's not talk of love or chains and things we can't untie,
your eyes are soft with sorrow,
Hey, that's no way to say goodbye.

Or is it?
In permitting the publication of his letter to Marianne and in the words of "You Want It Darker" Leonard has gently eased us into the reality that he would not be with us for much longer. A very nice way to say goodbye.

My sympathy goes to Adam, Lorca and their families at this time of sadness and loss.
We can all be grateful that for a while we shared our planet with Leonard Cohen.
Leonard's music has been a huge part of my life since 1969 and will continue to be so.
Goodbye dear Leonard, I am thankful for all you have shared with me:
I'm not looking for another as I wander in my time,
walk me to the corner, our steps will always rhyme

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

My grief is in many directions. This our loss of Leonard is immense.

Dear Adam and Lorca, your children, Kezban, and all others closest to him ~

With Leonard gone, your lives will never be the same.
Nor will ours.
Yet, for all we have lost, you have lost your father and grandfather . . . and your dearest friend.
An intimate relationship that none of us will ever know.
May you have absorbed all that is possible in your time with him.
It is said that our loved ones live on through their characteristics that we begin to exhibit in their final absence.
I've found it to be true in my own losses of my parents.
May it be true for you, as well. There is some comfort to be found there.

More than any single person or experience, beyond my own parents and former husband, no one and no experience has remotely enriched my life in the ways that Leonard has immeasurably enriched mine. Thank you, Leonard, for being with me in my life.

My love goes with him as his love stays with you,
Elizabeth Bacon-Smith/lizzytysh
Last edited by lizzytysh on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Thank you for everything Leonard - you mattered.
ddanyc

Post by ddanyc »

I regret that I did not come to truly study and appreciate Leonard Cohen until the commencement of the Grand Tour. But I am most grateful to have had the chance to experience two of the concerts and to re-listen, many times over, to all the music from "Suzanne" to "String Reprise/Treaty" and to discover through so many of his interviews and biographies the warmth, charm and kindness of the man. He was a rue mensch. My condolences to his family, his friends and all of you here in this community.

Thank you, Leonard, for everything you have given us.

Bill
dartagnan

Post by dartagnan »

"If it be your will
That I speak no more
And my voice be still
As it was before
I will speak no more"

Sir Leonard Cohen,

A supreme power decided you shall
Speak no more...

Sad to my core
to see you go,
But thank you,
for memories I'll never forget,
Antwerp (x2), Ghent, Nîmes, Paris...

I'd like to share a highlight from these shows
Or a favourite song...
But there are too many..
"the partisan" about French resistance @ L'Olympia ?
Every rendition of "Famous Blue Raincoat" ?
The eclectic atmosphere of "Take This Waltz" ?
And so many others..

So Long, Leonard.

Return to “News”