Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
vickiwoodyard

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Postby vickiwoodyard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:55 pm

What a lovely sentiment!
Janne

Postby Janne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:02 am

Fare you well my nightingale

It's the first time I dare to tell: Last year at the middle of november I was sitting on our garden bench in Germany near Munich next to a pakistani friend of my family who helped doing some late garden work before winter.

He came as a refugee to Germany one year before and so we mostly still were talking in English.

Suddenly we discovered 2 strange looking birds next to us behind the wire-mesh fence in the neighbour's Garden.

In November there are only black crows and very few small oscine birds left in the gardens.

These 2 birds were neither of them. One was as tall as a crow but beautifully black and white. The other one was smaller and less beautiful, simply brown.

They were sitting between 2 bushes close to us, looking at each other for such a long time, doing nothing special, that we thought this was really strange.

Somehow tame and very different looking as if not birds of the same species I thought they looked like string puppets of a puppet theatre.

My friend who has studied biology before his escape to Europe said the beautiful bird was a crow.

"And the other one his inconsiderable wife?" I asked.

"No," he answered and checked the english translation for the species he was thinking of at his mobile: "The other one is a nightingale."

I really got frozen because I never ever before saw a nightingale. In November? Here?
But my friend was sure whether this made the bird's behaviour completely strange or not!

Unbelievable!

And then I felt happy.
loska

Postby loska » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:52 am

I am so grateful for this forum, now when I hear LC songs, and I still do it frequently, usually sort of a binge listening for a week or so, it feels good to come here and read all the older posts, here I am among friends who loved him just as much.
2009 New York, 2009 Tampa, 2012 New York, 2013 Tampa

Return to “News”