FROM LEONARD: HAPPENS TO THE HEART

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Tchocolatl

Re: FROM LEONARD: HAPPENS TO THE HEART

Postby Tchocolatl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:36 pm

The loss is so immense. As huge as the presence. Such a charisme is not to be easy to handle.

The love you give is the only love you have at the end?
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Cindee

Postby Cindee » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Ahhh, beauty from the heart. Thank you for posting!
Joe Way

Postby Joe Way » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:10 am

icecreamtruck wrote:Jarkko --

It is very special to me that you mention this. I have thought about this poem a few times since the sad news. My father introduced me to Leonard Cohen's work when I was younger. Cohen Live was traveling music in the car of my youth. I thought it was magic.

By Dear Heather I was old enough to buy an album on release day myself. I loved it. From the first notes of the bass and drums of Go No More A-Roving to the applause of Tennessee Waltz.

I was always eager to engage my dad in a discussion of Leonard's work. But for some reason he seemed to rather shut discussion down when I brought it up -- as if I wasn't bright enough to interest him in discussing the work. Or maybe Leonard belonged to him.

I listened to Dear Heather constantly. I loved its lightness and gravitas. I enjoyed the humour, the playfulness and what felt like eternal perspective of The Faith. I loved the way his voice settled in the quarter tones beneath when he sang "and death is old." I loved the two vocal approaches of the "The Letters" and I was fascinated by the return of his tenor range on "Nightengale". The girl who I married, whose shoulder took my tears when I learned of Leonard's death, danced me to minor keys and drum machines of that beautiful record. I loved to amuse my friends with the absurdity of "Because Of."

My dad said "Dear Heather" wasn't worth the plastic it was printed on.

Sometime after you posted this poem, my old man brought it up. He didn't read it here. It was published elsewhere after it came out here I think. He said "did you see the new lyric from Leonard Cohen? Must be coming out on his next album."

I said "I don't think so, Dad. I think he posted it for his people on his forum. Y'know, just to share it with them."

"Wow. Have you read it?"

"No." I lied. "Could we?"

"Sure."

And my Dad and I finally talked about this man's work and it's brilliance. We lingered over lines like "funding my depression" and "a mist of summer kisses/where I tried to double park." I read the poem to him as if I was discovering it. I may as well have been reading it for the first time as we shared these lines and as it Happened to our Hearts.

We spoke about how meaningful and incredible it was that at 82, this old hero of ours was actively heroic...in the time we still shared as adults, my father and I.

My dad is ill with leukemia. I pray that his illness makes no sudden moves and that we can induldge the continued innovation of the leukemia researchers and doctors for many years to come. But we remain on borrowed and swiftly passing time.

Happens to the Heart gave my old man and I this precious slip of common ground where we stood briefly and sufficiently, heart to heart over the beauty of the Word.

So thank you for this note, Jarkko. It feels good to know that this was a special piece of work for Leonard and that he wanted to make sure he shared it with us. I'm so glad that he did. I'm so glad he had this place to share it to. Thank you for making this place.
Dear Icecreamtruck,

Thank you for your beautiful description of your relationship both with your Dad & Leonard.

I was fortunate to have discovered Leonard when I was 14 or 15 years old at the very beginning of his recording career. So this would put me about the age of your father, I guess.

I'll spare you the details but Leonard was involved in my life from that early beginning. In 2004, I was privileged to be a part of the Leonard Cohen Event in NYC. I took both of my daughters and their boyfriends-soon to be husbands along. We were treated to Luanne Unger playing us, "Dear Heather" before it was released.

I bought a copy for each of my daughters and inscribed them with affectionate words. They will always associate me with my love for Leonard's work-and I know they share it on another level as well.

Best to you,

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Cindee

Postby Cindee » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:24 am

beautiful story joe way.
Janne

Postby Janne » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 am

Oh I love this poem and the messages I heard although I may be wrong:

There are always young messiahs starting convinced of their messianic power and fire and artistic gifts to say and reach final things.

Go and tell them: At the end you only may have a dying spark instead of a fire and you may find yourself as a beggar who has wrecked a lot of plans.

But somebody will have to witness, to defend, to report and to bless what happens to the heart.

And the dying spark is bright and much more than nothing.

Return to “News”