"So long, Marianne. Leonard Cohen's final letter to his muse"

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Born With The Gift Of A G

Re: "So long, Marianne. Leonard Cohen's final letter to his muse"

Postby Born With The Gift Of A G » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:01 pm

"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Unspoken Words

Postby Unspoken Words » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Leonard as a song writer, poet, lived part of his life in the public eye and invited this as part of endeavours to progress as an artist (and also to survive economically/make money). The extent to which this involved ego is of course open to debate. He was not however, the starving artist living in a cave purely for his art for which the oxygen of publicity, fame and wealth was not desired, although Hydra was part of an endeavour to find some form of almost monk like retreat from the modern world and equally leading this life in public did seem to trouble his consciousness and he questioned it, hence his time in the Mount Baldy monastery for example.

As with other poets, artists, his love life and correspondence are of interest to those who find something in the art and want to have a deeper understanding. The letter to Marianne, which Leonard personally authorised to be made public, is such an artefact, even if also quite personal and private (does this authority also consider and seek Marianne's authority and respect her right and privacy, as she was after all a private citizen on her death bed and not a famous artist?)

I am intrigued by Leonard's outlook on life which includes his view on relationships and how this was reflected in reality. With Marianne I can see a deep love but I also wonder about the moving on and departure. Did Marianne suit at a time but not as a Mother to children for Leonard as she was not of the right faith/tradition for instance? I find the following comments from the Telegraph article interesting about Leonard:-

"Writers have to write about something, and the characters and circumstances of their own lives are always going to be their most fertile subject matter. If the muse is anything, it is a mirror to the writer’s own psyche. So Long, Marianne certainly tells us more about Cohen’s loneliness and romantic fickleness than it does about the figure of Marianne herself. "

(it is also interesting to note that one of the articles above highlights that the original title was 'Come on Marianne' and not 'So long' which puts a slant on interpretation of the song)
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:44 pm

S"o long, Marianne: Profoundly moving story behind the death of the beauty who inspired some of Leonard Cohen's greatest songs..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -song.html
Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:22 am

Moving and uplifting. And it's like a footnote to "So Long Marianne".
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:43 am

I would like to add to what Marie already quoted in this thread: Leonard was asked if his letter to Marianne can be made public, and he had given his permission. (Confirmed by Leonard yesterday)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
KarlAngela

Postby KarlAngela » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:54 pm

I am so glad to know that Leonard gave his permission for the letter to be published as at first it seems an invasion of privacy. It is sad to think of a day when Leonard will not be here but I hope that when he says that he will follow her soon it wont be for many many years. I pray that it will be God's will to keep him with us. 8)
WiTS

Postby WiTS » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 am

jarkko wrote:I would like to add to what Marie already quoted in this thread: Leonard was asked if his letter to Marianne can be made public, and he had given his permission. (Confirmed by Leonard yesterday)
Looking forward to reading the exact words from this beautiful and heart-breaking farewell letter. Will you post on mainsite, jarkko?
http://site.douban.com/137869/ Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
pulgawang

Postby pulgawang » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:16 am

WiTS wrote:
jarkko wrote:I would like to add to what Marie already quoted in this thread: Leonard was asked if his letter to Marianne can be made public, and he had given his permission. (Confirmed by Leonard yesterday)
Looking forward to reading the exact words from this beautiful and heart-breaking farewell letter. Will you post on mainsite, jarkko?
求到了发公共号哈 ^^
Ninon

Postby Ninon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:09 pm

Hello all,

I can't find the full letter anywhere, do you have a hint?

Thanks xx
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:33 am

1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “News”